Scooter Carrier

Mar 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi all
This is our first year of caravaning and relatively new to the forums so please excuse the newbie query and if this has been answered already then I apologise.

I have a full motorcycle license so we would like to take our scooter with us on our caravan holidays.

However we cannot seem to find any attachments / carriers for carrying the scooter on the back of the caravan OR between the car and the caravan? Seems to be towbar attachments for motorhomes that are available.

Does such a thing exist ? Will the weight at the very rear cause towing issues?

Any feedback very much appreciated

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If it’s a motorised scooter I cannot recall seeing anything that would enable you to fit it on a caravan. No tknowing it’s weight but if it seats two adults it would be far too heavy fir a caravan and use up an almighty part of your payload. Similarly never seen anything like a scooter on the A frame. It would take your nose weight way over unless you rear loaded the caravan. Not a good idea. Your idea isn’t viable. What about two bikes on the car roof or some newer vans have rear end loading point to attach carriers to.
What car and van do you have ? Some Continental vans like Knaus have a rear door and will take a motorbike strapped down to strong load points.

Reactions: charlespontoon
Mar 13, 2021
Visit site
thanks for the replies ! much appreciated. Its a 125cc Vespa ( kerb weight 115KG) so you are probably correct that its not viable . We have a Cristall Moorea 530EB being towed behind a Range Rover Evoque .

Probably explains why we cannot find a suitable bracket as, in my orginal query , such a thing doesnt exit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the replies ! much appreciated. Its a 125cc Vespa ( kerb weight 115KG) so you are probably correct that its not viable . We have a Cristall Moorea 530EB being towed behind a Range Rover Evoque .

Probably explains why we cannot find a suitable bracket as, in my orginal query , such a thing doesnt exit
I found this online, and I'm not sure if it is the same year as your caravan, but this is for a 2006 model.

It suggests the MTPLM is 1500kg Miro and its 1213kg leaving a loading margin of 287kg. That actually seems quite generous, but if you were to try carry the scooter, that margin would drop to only 172kg which is quite lean for a four berth.

For that and the unlikeliness of finding an appropriate carrier for the scooter, I think in reality its a no go.

I note you are towing with an "Evoque" Apparently the Gross weight of the Evoque can vary between 2,370 to 2,662 kg depending on the exact model (Check your weight plate on the car for the Gross Vehicle Weight ). If yours is 2500kg or over then when coupled to your 1500 MTPLM caravan your combined MAM will be 3500kg or more and the law requires requires the driver to have cat BE on their licence.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I note you are towing with an "Evoque" Apparently the Gross weight of the Evoque can vary between 2,370 to 2,662 kg depending on the exact model (Check your weight plate on the car for the Gross Vehicle Weight ). If yours is 2500kg or over then when coupled to your 1500 MTPLM caravan your combined MAM will be 3500kg or more and the law requires requires the driver to have cat BE on their licence.
2500 + 1500 is already 4000, so the 3500kg limit for a Category B licence will definitely apply.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see any way that a scooter can be carried externally on a conventional caravan as the weight at the front would be too much for the towbar and at the rear would almost certainly make it unstable. If it can be folded sufficiently to get it through the door and you can upgrade the MTPLM enough it might work carrying it inside but it would need to be over the axle.
The Knaus Desseo is designed to carry a motor bike but possibly could be adapted but it is very different and might not suit you but it could be worth a look.
Basically if the scooter is carried in the caravan it will increase the laden weight and the weight of the car might need to be increased to allow for this. The car needs to be heavy enough to handle the caravan, there is plenty of advice on this on the forum and on the Caravan Club website if you look.

Mar 13, 2021
Visit site
2500 + 1500 is already 4000, so the 3500kg limit for a Category B licence will definitely apply.
[/QU
I found this online, and I'm not sure if it is the same year as your caravan, but this is for a 2006 model.

It suggests the MTPLM is 1500kg Miro and its 1213kg leaving a loading margin of 287kg. That actually seems quite generous, but if you were to try carry the scooter, that margin would drop to only 172kg which is quite lean for a four berth.

For that and the unlikeliness of finding an appropriate carrier for the scooter, I think in reality its a no go.

Thanks for the reply , very much appreciated . As an FYI the gross weight is quoted as 2350KG for the car ( 3 door model so possibly why it at the lighter end of the scale ) but I have Cat BE on my license so no issues on that respect but again , welcome the input . Thank you

Mar 13, 2021
Visit site
Thank you all for the comments , very much appreciated. In terms of weight , license requirements etc all is OK there . In summary it looks like the Vespa will need to stay at home

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Desseo is be worth a look as I forgot to add the back folds down to make a ramp. Not sure I read it correctly first time and missed the post about it being a Vespa but the pick up idea might be workable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts