Scotland in July

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, just looking for a hints and tips for when we go up to Scotland, mid July what to aviod etc and any good sites, Bazz.

G

Depends on what your interests are. There is virtually everything that you could wish for from cities to remote countryside. Just remember it is the only country where you can have all 4 seasons in one day. Just do not try to do everything in a short visit, decide where you wish to go and relax and enjoy it.

www.visitscotland.com

will give a lot of information and of course both Clubs have sites up here.

The choice is yours.

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Bazz.

As Scotch lad says, it depends on what type of holiday you want.

But if you are looking for a quiet relaxing site, with great walks for all levels, and some of the most stunning views. My recommendation would be for the Invercoe Highland Holidays at Glencoe (you will find them on the internet) The site is on the banks of loch Leven. The owners are excellent. We have been going there for the past 3 years and now store our 'van there.

It is also an excellent base if you wish to tour the outer islands of Mull, Iona and Skye. The only site I would recommend avoiding is the site at Invermorriston on the banks of Loch Ness

for reasons i will not go into here!

Hope this is of some help to you. But where ever you go - enjoy!

Regards

Hamish

p.s Don't forget the midge repellent !!!!

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bazz.

As Scotch lad says, it depends on what type of holiday you want.

But if you are looking for a quiet relaxing site, with great walks for all levels, and some of the most stunning views. My recommendation would be for the Invercoe Highland Holidays at Glencoe (you will find them on the internet) The site is on the banks of loch Leven. The owners are excellent. We have been going there for the past 3 years and now store our 'van there.

It is also an excellent base if you wish to tour the outer islands of Mull, Iona and Skye. The only site I would recommend avoiding is the site at Invermorriston on the banks of Loch Ness

for reasons i will not go into here!

Hope this is of some help to you. But where ever you go - enjoy!

Regards

Hamish

p.s Don't forget the midge repellent !!!!
what was wrong at Invermorrison? just interested 'cos we went there last year for a few day, but as it was our first trip in the 'van we have nothing to compare it against! Mark (",)

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
we have been holidaying up in Scotland for years and in our opinion we think its the best place in the UK! like someone else says it depends what you are looking for. We prefer it further up in the northern highlands (Isle of Skye and mainland, Applecross/Torridon/Gairloch area)...up there you will find amazing - take your breath away scenery, less crowds, deserted beaches and lochsides and wildlife....ideal if you like peace and relaxation.

I think there is a CC site at Morvich (near the Kyle of Lochalsh), there are so many places to see and visit...i would maybe get a map out and pinpoint all the places you would like to go and work a route out from there, the site at Onich (near Fort William) also looks nice and there is lots to do around that area aswell.

Obviously in the school holidays the roads are gonna be quieter than when we usually go (sept/oct time)..and yes - take midge repellant!

have a great time, it really is a wonderful place to go.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
we have been holidaying up in Scotland for years and in our opinion we think its the best place in the UK! like someone else says it depends what you are looking for. We prefer it further up in the northern highlands (Isle of Skye and mainland, Applecross/Torridon/Gairloch area)...up there you will find amazing - take your breath away scenery, less crowds, deserted beaches and lochsides and wildlife....ideal if you like peace and relaxation.

I think there is a CC site at Morvich (near the Kyle of Lochalsh), there are so many places to see and visit...i would maybe get a map out and pinpoint all the places you would like to go and work a route out from there, the site at Onich (near Fort William) also looks nice and there is lots to do around that area aswell.

Obviously in the school holidays the roads are gonna be quieter than when we usually go (sept/oct time)..and yes - take midge repellant!

have a great time, it really is a wonderful place to go.
Error - I meant BUSIER ROADS IN JULY!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bazz,

First of all we need to know what area of Scotland you wish to visit.......we have just done a tour which clocked up over 1,000miles and we live in Scotland.Remember that the midge season is in full swing in July particularly the West.Once you have decided then we should be able to give you some pointers.

May 9, 2006
Visit site
what was wrong at Invermorrison? just interested 'cos we went there last year for a few day, but as it was our first trip in the 'van we have nothing to compare it against! Mark (",)
Hi Brave-fart. Firstly sorry for the delay in relying to you, all work, work, work!!!

The problem we found at Invermorriston was, it had recently been taken over by new owners. They had the site full to bursting point. ie: 3 seperate units to one pitch! We returned after a day out to find the steadies on our caravan had been raised.They had on some pitches one caravan and 2 tents, meaning they had 3 times the income for each pitch. Although this site has the most wonderful views, having some strangers in a tent at your front window is hardly ideal. Hopefully things will have changed for the better now. There was also one other reason, but I am unable to print the details here - sorry!

Also, as we had pre-booked and paid a deposit, he had no record of it and we had to pay that amount again.

Cheers

Hamish

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just returned (literally) from a 31 day trip around the south west up to the north west of Scotland covering some 2500 miles in all. Absolutely magnificent! Whilst I have spent some time in the north west previously this was a first time visit for my wife and she was just overwhelmed with the stunning scenery, wildlife, nightlife and just the whole ambience of this remarkable part of the world. We stayed at the CC site at Onich (Bunree) surely the most ideally located site anywhere in the UK then onto Morvich, another excellent CC site and finally on on to the excellent site at Edingburgh for some couth and culture and retail therapy for the chief of staff. We visited, amongst other locations, Mull (Tobermory (Balamory)), Mallaig, Glenuig, Glenelg, Skye, Plockton, Ullapool and Applecross, ate some excellent lunches out and enjoyed the odd snifter of the elixir of life. You can't help but enjoy this part of the world and to hell with the midges - don't let the little bxxxxxs spoil it for you.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We have just returned (literally) from a 31 day trip around the south west up to the north west of Scotland covering some 2500 miles in all. Absolutely magnificent! Whilst I have spent some time in the north west previously this was a first time visit for my wife and she was just overwhelmed with the stunning scenery, wildlife, nightlife and just the whole ambience of this remarkable part of the world. We stayed at the CC site at Onich (Bunree) surely the most ideally located site anywhere in the UK then onto Morvich, another excellent CC site and finally on on to the excellent site at Edingburgh for some couth and culture and retail therapy for the chief of staff. We visited, amongst other locations, Mull (Tobermory (Balamory)), Mallaig, Glenuig, Glenelg, Skye, Plockton, Ullapool and Applecross, ate some excellent lunches out and enjoyed the odd snifter of the elixir of life. You can't help but enjoy this part of the world and to hell with the midges - don't let the little bxxxxxs spoil it for you.
Clubman - isnt it just MAGICAL up that way?!

We return to Glenelg/Applecross/Skye area year after year and never tire of that amazing scenery.

Last year we saw lots of seals and even had otters nicking bait off our fishing rods when fishing on the loch. Idyllic.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Baz

I too would recommend the area's mentioned here, Plockton, Applcross etc. Until his untimely demise in 2001 my older brother was the Laird of Achnashellach and his widdow is still resident in the lodge so I have lots of happy memories of holidays in that area. Never been with the van for obvious reasons but I know the area well and have spent lots of time there.

G

Just to mention we are all hoping that summer may arrive fairly soon. So far it has not shown its head too much. March was the coldest for 10 years, April was the wettest for a long time and May has shown no sign so far of living up to its title as a summer month. We are currently being warned of frosts at night and snow on high ground, and tomorrow is the 1st of June. It can change overnight but if the forecasters are to be believed, they have no vision in that direction yet.

Answer. Either go far south, as I am doing, or bring a mac and a sweater.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We are of to Bunree at Onich with our Avon So Soft for the midges. CCC site at Glencoe I believe has been refurbished.

Do not like trees but the Moors great

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all sorry it's been an age to get this sodding computer fixed, had a spy worm and it kept changing my settings. Thanks very much for your suggestions we will give them some deep thought and we will enjoy. Many thanks to all, Bazz.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bazz,

Scotland is a big place! Give us an idea of your preferred area and then we might be able to help.

July is definitely midge season,so you will need protection.....and they prefer the West Coast.This is of course the most scenic part. Is it cities or scenery that you wish??

Fishing or golf??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts