Scotland

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi new to site, bought new caravan begining of summer and we have enjoyed every weekend since. We didnt travel to far this year but love the sound of Scotland for next year we live in Northern Ireland so somewhere with not to far to travel after we get of boat would be great, have 3 some kids and hubby that loves boats and fishing. love to hear from anyone who can give us some ideas.

jenny

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jennifer,

plenty of suggestions above. If you take the ferry to Cairnryan, your not far from Brighouse Bay.

http://www.gillespie-leisure.co.uk/brighouse/index.htm
Never been there, but heard it mentioned a few times.

You could be a bit more adventurous and do a wee tour up through the West of Scotland. Say Loch Lomond,

http://www.holiday-parks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=20
and then up to Oban, I can recommend North Ledaig caravan club site.

How about a trip up to the Isle of Skye to finish off.

As they say,,West is best!

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dolphins are not the first thing you think of in Scotland but if you are near Inverness its well worth the short drive to Chanonry point near Fortrose on the Black Isle to try to see them in the Moray Firth. You need to be patient (we went 4 times before we saw them) and you need the right tide because they only come in to the Firth to catch the salmon but its a beautiful place to wait and if you are lucky enough to see them it is breathtaking and really close to the beach. You can park right by the water so if the weather is not so good you can wait in the car. Boat trips are also available locally. There is a caravan site there (dont know its name but its near Rosemarkie)right by the beach (great for your dogs) so you could almost sit in your van and see them, and there is, of course, also a golf course (what else would you expect in Scotland). Highly recommended, but you need to be patient! Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dolphins are not the first thing you think of in Scotland but if you are near Inverness its well worth the short drive to Chanonry point near Fortrose on the Black Isle to try to see them in the Moray Firth. You need to be patient (we went 4 times before we saw them) and you need the right tide because they only come in to the Firth to catch the salmon but its a beautiful place to wait and if you are lucky enough to see them it is breathtaking and really close to the beach. You can park right by the water so if the weather is not so good you can wait in the car. Boat trips are also available locally. There is a caravan site there (dont know its name but its near Rosemarkie)right by the beach (great for your dogs) so you could almost sit in your van and see them, and there is, of course, also a golf course (what else would you expect in Scotland). Highly recommended, but you need to be patient! Jim.
Have a look at www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/rosemarkie/chanonrypoint Jim.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
If you want quiet and peaceful try Lidalia at Newcastleton, Scottish Borders. It has river walks and forest walks. Has all local amenities, Pubs, Butchers, Bakers, Cafe's etc. Its only 15 miles from Kielder Water, 20 miles from Carlisle, 25 miles from Hawick & Jedburgh.

Site is in the Caravan Club book. Give it a try, you wont be dissapointed.

Steve

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Generally,the East coast tends to have more touristy attractions/places of interest, the west coast the fantastic scenery.

Inverness is a good base for a bit of everything

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
Generally,the East coast tends to have more touristy attractions/places of interest, the west coast the fantastic scenery.

Inverness is a good base for a bit of everything
I don't recommend High Range caravan site in Aviemore where they charge for electric and water after your first lot has been used up. You are only allowed 17 litres of water when you first arrive but then you are charged for every 17 litres you use after that. After you have used up your allotted electric you have to pay more for more kwt's.

It is the only site I have been on where they have charged for items that should be in with site fees.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We are thinking of going to Scotland for a fortnight in the school holidays 2007, possibly stopping at Lake district and Yorkshire moors to break up the journeys from and back to Bristol.

I will be taking note of advice given on here already.

I had not thought about midges however and I have bad reactions to insect bites - I find that I can keep mosquitos and sometimes horseflies at bay with a couple of dabs of citronella oil and anti histamines like piriton keep the reactions down.

I also find using a paraffin lamp seems to keep insects away and when I used to smoke cigars I rarely got bitten.

Can anyone with similar allergies advise if these will work with midges ( I do not intend to take up smoking again!).

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Garry

If you are thinking of going to the West Coast during the school holidays, the midgies will be bad. They're at their worst June to September.

If you choose the Eastern side you will be fairly safe.

We will be going to the North and West Coast again next year but will be going up on 2nd June. I have a very bad reaction to midge bites, and find the only thing that works for me is Jungle Formula extra strength. I have tried the Avon stuff, no good at all. We have one of the electric insect zappers which we use in the awning, along with a Little Green Lamp, and if we sit outside in the evening when the midges can be a nuisance, we light a few citronella candles.

Hope this helps.:O)

TRENDING THREADS