Scottish Islands

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone any experiences you can share ? Would love to visit some of the islands and was wondering if it practical to take the 'van both from site availability and cost perspectives ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Rioja

Don't waste your time. We had the worst 6 weeks hol last year. Rained almost every day, bitten by midges, ferries that couldn't load our caravan, very poor sites. Isle of Lewis was nothing short of a junkyard with no scenery worth talking about. Skye I went to again this year, very pretty but we only did a day tour staying at CC site Morvich. If you want to know more please get Mr Mods to send me your e-mail. I'll reply when I return next week.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your appraisal Dustydog. Maybe I'll think twice ! Seems like the best option will be a day trip from the mainland to the likes of Mull.

The weather , I appreciate , does influence your viewpoint, as do the midges. Hoping to go next May before they develop teeth !!

cheers Dave

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
While Dustydog may have had a bad experience don't let that deter you from visiting any of the Scottish Islands.

You have to expect inclement weather in the north but as they say 'there is no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing'!

I can't vouch for the scenery of the Outer Hebridies but would put the scenery of west coast Scotland and inner islands up against nearly anywhere.

If you are travelling in May/ June then I would suggest that is one of the best times to visit the Northern Isles - Orkney and Shetland. The weather tends to be dry, if not as warm as further south, and the long light nights are a new experience for many.

You can travel by ferry to both from Aberdeen, or take a more circular route via Scrabster to Orkney, onwards to Shetland, and returning via Aberdeen. This will cost about

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the info 60 North. I am familiar with the West Coast but have never been to any of the islands (including Skye and yet stayed at Morvich !) My hobby is wildlife photography so I'm looking for some good places to visit but I have to say,

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have to say we do get rain BUT I stay on the west coast and travel to Mull at least three times per week over the last two weeks there has been very little rain and plenty of sunshine contrary to the local weather forcast, there are sites on Mull and around Oban or visit mull for a day trip and take a sail to Iona, Fingals cave and the puffins at staffa, I also travel to Coll and Tiree which believe it or not is on the gulf stream.

Midges...have a barbeque, hug a smoker or use Avon :)

or have a Dram dosnt stop midges but after a half bottle you dont really care.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Derek...you have got me interested !!! Can you recommend anywhere I can pick up more information ? What can you achieve as a foot passenger ? Are there trips to be had when you arrive on Mull etc etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
May 21, 2008
Visit site
Rioja

I went to Orkney about 6 years ago in a motorhome and am going in two weeks time with a caravan. The crossing from Aberdeen is very expensive but there are two other crossings from the north coast. I think it is North Link Ferries which sail from Scrabster to Stromness on Orkney, this sailing takes about 2 hours and sails past the Old Man of Hoy. We go for the cheaper option! Pentland Ferries (tel 01856 831226) which sails from Gill's Bay (about 6 miles west of John of Groats) to St Margaret's Hope a sailing of 1 hour. The cost of one way on this crossing is car

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Rioja

I should have added that Caladonian Mac Brayne do Island Hopscotch tickets that allow you to go from one island to another. The two we bought came to

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
May is maybe a bit early but in and around Tobermory youll see Sea Eagles and if they are`nt around golden eagles, otters and "tourist Eagles" Buzzards. " Jock the midge" once youve encountered them youll realise they must be female (sorry) however you do get used to them,

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
we are just back from 7 weeks on Mull, killiechronan site (turn left at Salen). 6 weeks dry sunny, last week rain / wind. From the site you WILL see sea eagles hunting on the forshore right by the site. Every day without fail.

The site itself has spectacular views and you can be as close to the sea loch as you dare!, but the facilities are limited to a toilet and wash space 200yards down the road, but it only costs

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input. Some fantastic information that only comes from first hand experience. I'm very grateful and intend to put it to good use.cheers Dave.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
I'm a little bit worried by Dustydog's comments now! We have planned a 3 week trip of the outer hebrides for next May in a motorhome. The scenery from photos of Harris looks amazing, and so do the beaches. We've done Skye many times so fancied something different.

Was it really that bad Dustydog?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Chelsea

I was very unlucky last year. We went in august / september. 95% rain, poor sites and the dreaded Mac Midge.

Give it a go . May imo is the best time for Scotland. We travelled from Uig ,Skye to Tarbert Isle of Harris. Apart from the rain the terrain was quite pretty but nowhere as picturesque as say Sutherland. Driving north to Isle of Lewis our hearts sank as the scenery changed to what I can only describe as one of the most boring I have seen. The fact is it costs money to recycle things such as cars and buses. Far cheaper to leave them in your garden to rust away in silence!!

We stayed at Eilean Fraoig North Shawbost. The owners John and Mary made us very welcome but the downside was the scenery, yuk.

Fortunately, just down the road was a pub / restaurant who did a good beer and very reasonable fine dining. Run by a couple from Manchester, they had given the place a thorough overhaul. A bit of an oasis in the outback if you like.

All part of life's experience. See it as an adventure and enjoy it.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog.

I know what you mean about the abandoned cars etc, some parts of Skye are like that too. I think we will stick to Harris and maybe head down to the Uists and also Barra. We don't have any particular schedule so if we find it a bit drab out there we will go back to the mainland anyway.

Shame for you that you had such a bad time, we've always gone to Scotland in Autumn so this will be new for us.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Chelsea

I spent 4 weeks this May touring the Highlands. Rained once overnight. No midges. Lots of sun and of course all the spring flowers were in full bloom.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hello. I wonder if someone could sum up which island/s are most like `the caribbean without the sun` as was quoted because that has sold it for me! I love clear seas and bays etc.We sailed to Mull once and I wished we werent just there for the Balamory/Tobermory trip as it looked such a nice island just to have a picnic etc (but that was the kids pleased,we`ve done it!so now can look differently.)

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
CaraJane,

Just google images of Scarista and Luskentyre beaches on the Isle of Harris, looks absolutely stunning. Hope to do some paddling there next year!

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Chelsea

I spent 4 weeks this May touring the Highlands. Rained once overnight. No midges. Lots of sun and of course all the spring flowers were in full bloom.

Cheers

Dustydog
Sounds great. We've never been further up than Ullapool so maybe we'll venture up top next year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts