Scratch on internal cupboard

May 6, 2021
Visit site
I’m looking for advice on how to fix a large scratch on a lower cupboard. This was done when we were transporting our caravan with bikes onboard. I have read about wax and wood pens but worried the area is too big for this. Any advice would be grateful

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A lot would depend on whether the panel was solid wood, which I doubt, or a foil over MDF. I suspect the foil would be hard to repair, but solid would could first be filled with stainable wood filler and then stained to as near as possible the original colour.

I suspect though for perfection, the panel would need replacing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Presumably it is foil. You can buy pens for wood and they are just a coulorant designed to be a near match for the wood type described. I would try one of the pens, although if the scratch is deep you may still find this visible as they are not designed to be a filler.

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
I did the same think carrying bikes in the van last week. I bought a pack of different colour permanent marker pens from the Works for £4. These contained a couple of brown shades and after applying them to the scratch they did a brilliant job. It’s not a complete invisible repair but I don’t notice it anymore.

Reactions: Thingy
May 6, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. I tried to upload a photo but the file was too big. It looks like msd with veneer covering(assume that’s what you mean by foil. The area is around 2cm, think and under msf visible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I tried to upload a photo but the file was too big. It looks like msd with veneer covering(assume that’s what you mean by foil. The area is around 2cm, think and under msf visible.
If you are using IOS photos there come up options for sizing the photo once you’ve selected it. IE Original Large etc.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just thinking about my own caravan which has some floor level LEDS. As you say the scratch is about 2cm, about the size of an LED with its housing. You say its a lower cupboard, is their any benefit to disguising it with something like that? Course you would need to do both sides as it would look odd. The LEDS look very efffective at night.

Jun 23, 2019
Visit site
Have a look at Briwax wax repair sticks £6.55 from Toolstation

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I’m looking for advice on how to fix a large scratch on a lower cupboard. This was done when we were transporting our caravan with bikes onboard. I have read about wax and wood pens but worried the area is too big for this. Any advice would be grateful
It was with dismay when opening the corner cupboard below the sink to find the toilet fluid bottle had leaked Tried to get it out but it had penetrated the foil surface. Went on line to find a foil which resembles Beech. Have found one and it is way over the normal price for foils which normally about about £4.99 a roll and this one is £14.90, mine is coming next week but it looks identical to what we want. will let you know .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts