Scratched caravan roof scraping Sikaflex

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

Long time lurker and now Forum member.

Today I've removed our aging solar panel from our Abbey Expression 2004. We needed to upgrade the wiring as the wrong size was used in install resulting in a huge voltage drop.

Me being me I got carried away and decided that I would replace the solar panel for a much more powerful 120W unit. So I set about getting off the brackets that had been bonded on. All had gone well I thought until I noticed that my careful scraping had also scraped the paint off in a few places.

I'm fully aware that aluminium cannot rust, but it can corrode. What is the best way to deal with the problem, primer then Hammerite or Rustoleum spray? Picture attached is of the worst bit (looks horrible), there are only a couple.. I thought I'd been so careful!

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_162903.jpg
    IMG_20200527_162903.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 30
May 27, 2020
Visit site
Excellent, thank you. What should I do about the smaller ones? If you see on the photo there is one above it which is very light, but removed the paint no less.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could prepare the affected areas ready for painting, mask around and give a spray of Fiat 248 paint.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I would simply do the same; will look a bit neater if you buy a white Sikaflex, but nobody is going to go up there looking.

May 27, 2020
Visit site
To be fair, you're right, and it's going to be covered by the new solar panel so won't be seen. Was just worried about corrosion/water ingress as we only bought the van last year and everything is working perfectly/damp free so don't want to skimp or bodge a job!

A skim of Sikaflex seems like the best way forward. How easy is the stuff to spread?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thoughtthe most likely paint would be Fiat 249 which was used extensively by Swift group models. 128 is a red. 249 is white(ish)

Last edited:
May 27, 2020
Visit site
You're right. When you said prepare, mask, spray, would you attempt to fill the gouge with some sort of metal filler first? Or prime then spray and no filler?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A skim of Sikaflex seems like the best way forward. How easy is the stuff to spread?

Exceedingly easy with anything functioning like a palette knife.

With all due respect, using a skim of Sikaflex to cover damage is exactly a "Bodge Job".

Only if one's definition of a "bodge job" is based more on aesthetics rather than functional effectiveness.
For an out of sight application, where aesthetics are very secondary, then the effectiveness is the primary objective.
Better not look at how most of a car's folded panel joints are sealed from corrosion.

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Exceedingly easy with anything functioning like a palette knife.

Only if one's definition of a "bodge job" is based more on aesthetics rather than functional effectiveness.
For an out of sight application, where aesthetics are very secondary, then the effectiveness is the primary objective.
Better not look at how most of a car's folded panel joints are sealed from corrosion.

We obviously have differing views.
If I were to do as suggested to a customers van I have no doubt he would stamp and scream and refuse to pay me.
I always hold to the mantra of do the job properly first time.

I fail to see the relevance referring to car folded body panels, I know they have loads of sealant in them, but they are not on show (unless you have an accident).
A caravan roof is entirely different and is on view, even if infrequently.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As a bodge Job, unless you neustralise the corrosion with a chromate, solution such as alodine, ( old tech) for Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys you will still get get corrosion, but in the amount your talking about, rub back gently to the alloy then, a good spray over with a yellow or green chromate spray primer (available from Halfords) then a couple of coats of you favourite seagull guano colour, paint

Prep

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
If you're using Sikaflex, it's adhesion as you've discovered is fantastic. To make future removal of the panel easier, Put a thick washer under each corner so that it gives you room to get a cheese wire in to cut the Sikaflex

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When i brought my caravan i would have given it 2/10 i sent pictures to friend who use to work for a caravan dealer and now got his own business . Anything like that i would let him repair it then you know it corrected (water Ingress) but that my way But look at it now it looks new in my profile

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts