screw in awning pegs

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used these - are they any good? I have taken over most of the "heavy work" of caravanning since my OH is getting older. Most of it I can deal with but hammering in ground pegs for our porch awning is hard work especially on hard standing pitches and I am trying to make life a bit easier for myself! We have the cordless drill for the corner steadies. Any advice on using, buying, other hints nad tips would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance, Liz.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Liz,

If you are looking at the fibreglass re-inforced plastic type ones then my personal advice would be not to bother. I bought a set and they were not good at all. Needed a pilot hole drilling on hard ground with a masonry drill first. Far too much hassle.

I saw some metal type ones advertised, but then ended up buying some 8" plated roofing screws with hexagonal heads and some separate large headed washers to suit.

I think they came from Screwfix mail order.

They have been in use now for 4 years and work well on grass and hardstanding. Most of the time you can drive them in using a cordless hammer drill with socket adaptor, but on really hard ground I just use a claw hammer and bash thm in. The threads don't seem to get damaged by doing this. Getting them out is a doddle as well using the drill in reverse, even if they had to be hammered in.

Cheap as chips.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I bought a set of the metal type to use on the stony / rocky ground we pitch on. I found that trying to drill them in just did not work so ended using a big hammer!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Liz.

You should be able to get these from towsure. I have used 150mm "woodteck screws" that can be aquire through any engineering bolt and fastner supplier. Using these together with a penny washer (repair washer) as they are termed works very well. Also for storm ties I use dog stakeout corkscrews which I got from a 99p store.

I use these and my trusty battery drill because, I suffer from ostio arthritis in my shoulders, elbows and a compressed disc in my back. Conventional hammering is a definate no no for me.

Another handy tool for me is a 100mm wide long handled paint roller handle. Without the roller, I can reach my awning pole clamp screws, and together with my pole tenssioner, I can put our awning up quite easily.

All the best, Steve L.

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions - I have taken the plunge and ordered a set of "Megapegs" - will update once I have tried them although if any of you see a 65 year old lady waving a cordless drill and cursing fluently it may be me!

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Liz,

Just looked at a picture of the Mega-Pegs on ebay and they look like the rofing bolts/screws I was describing.

Only dfference being they have a rubber washer.

I'm sure you will find them OK, but take a claw hammer with you just in case you pitch on a really tough hardstanding and struggle to drive them in with the drill!

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Liz,

Just looked at a picture of the Mega-Pegs on ebay and they look like the rofing bolts/screws I was describing.

Only dfference being they have a rubber washer.

I'm sure you will find them OK, but take a claw hammer with you just in case you pitch on a really tough hardstanding and struggle to drive them in with the drill!
A claw hammer is an essential bit of caravanning equipment - invaluable for removing bottle tops!

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Have used steel screw in pegs and find on club sites even these will not go in.
one of the replys said to drive them in with a hammer but if you do you will damage the heads and the the socket will not go on which will render them useless for screwing
DAVID HARRISON

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Liz, I like them personaly. I dont get anxious when I see the other half putting them in and therefore enjoy my holiday more knowing I have bought something that works.
Really though, they are good, just make sure your drill is always charged up and that you have some ordinary pegs available incase you cannot use them.
Can I sugest you get one of the adapters for putting on your drill to lower your corner steadies, they are a god send and saves your back a lot. They are around the £4 mark.
If I see you waving the drill about I will definatly make sure my wife comes over to help you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts