Screws coming loose

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I seem to have a perpetual problem with 4/5 chipboard screws coming loose on the centre bulkhead panel on my Dethleffs DL 540. Now mater how hard I tighten them after about 100 miles of towing they are starting to work loose again. Had thought about puting a spot of wood glue on them but this might prove difficult to remove in the future should I need to take them out, I can't think what for though!. Any ideas on what to use instead?

Graham F

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Have you tried removing the screws completely and packing the holes with splinters of wood to give the screws greater 'grip'(matchsticks are good for this purpose). Then put the screws back in. Just a suggestion!

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham,

A spot of woodglue should do the trick - if you need to remove the screws the glue bond should simply break where it meets the metal thread.

Robert

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
I have seen my Hubby wrap insulating tape round the threads of a screw, if it seems loose, it seems to work for him.
Like mentioned, if the screws are goingto wood, and work loose, either go same size screw but bigger thred, or... take the orinal screw out, and get a drop of wood glue and a little saw dust, mix together an dput in hole, also before replaceing screw wrap a little P.T.F tape around the thred of the screw, like said it will come out if need be.

If possiable , can you reline the crews and place new holes and start afresh new holes.

Now if you putting screws intosomthing with a thred, again try wrapping ptf tape around the shank of the screw.?

Hope any of this may has helped... john

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Are the scews actually chipboard screws?, but I would fill the holes with matchsticks and woodglue let the glue go off replace the screw with a dab of woodglue,

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
You can do a "proper" repair (suggest you try it out on a piece of gash board first). Drill out the hole to at least double the size you need (be very careful with the depth), and then fill the whole with thickened epoxy - mica powder is a common agent. Tape over the top to stop the resin sagging, and then you want to use a self tapping screw, and drill out the properly cured resin with the right sized drill for the self tapper.... The bigger the oversized hole the better, because the important thing is the bond between the epoxy and the board...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts