Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I am going to fit a new whale submersible pump. The one I have bought came with the part that fits onto the caravan as well, so I may as well fit that too. What type of sealant would anybody recommend to apply between the unit and the caravan?

G

If you use sikaflex that part will never come off again in you ever need to remove it.

For a simple side seal like that, a good quality 'tape' mastic is more than sufficient (and is what a dealer would use if they were fitting it)

If you're fitting the square pump connector into the caravan side, carefully mark and drill the corners and use a pad saw to join up the holes and produce the square cutout.

Then rake out the polystyrene insulation to a depth sufficient to allow for pieces of 25mm x 25mm timber to be fitted top, sides, and bottom.

This will give the screws something to bite into when you screw the plastic fitting into place onto its tape mastic bed.

It sounds more complicated than it is - it only takes a few minutes and it's the difference between a good job and a bodge.

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
If you use sikaflex that part will never come off again in you ever need to remove it.

For a simple side seal like that, a good quality 'tape' mastic is more than sufficient (and is what a dealer would use if they were fitting it)

If you're fitting the square pump connector into the caravan side, carefully mark and drill the corners and use a pad saw to join up the holes and produce the square cutout.

Then rake out the polystyrene insulation to a depth sufficient to allow for pieces of 25mm x 25mm timber to be fitted top, sides, and bottom.

This will give the screws something to bite into when you screw the plastic fitting into place onto its tape mastic bed.

It sounds more complicated than it is - it only takes a few minutes and it's the difference between a good job and a bodge.
Thanks for the tips. There is already a square pump connector on the side of the van. A new one came with the submersible pump that I wanted to replace because it was leaky.Although I am a firm believer of 'if it works, dont fix it' I thought I would change the unit so it all fits together smoothly and wont give any problems in the future.

Would you still recommend tape mastic? Is it in tape form as the name suggests or does it come in a tube? Thanks again, Gabriel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts