Jul 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I am just about to re-seal my caravan, can anyone out there tell me whats the best sealent to use, I have seen on Halfords site CARAFAX IDL99 at a bargin price of £1.99 but I am not sure if its upto the Job

Regards

Mark

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mark, Yes that's the stuff, I use it most days for resealing, put plenty on, replace moulding,scrape off excess with a plastic scraper (avoids damage to the paintwork)and clean with white spirit.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Mark

I now it my sound a bit funny but this mite helps you.

I used to work for a place were they made curtain side trails and we used to get frow loads of this stuff.

(Some of them did deferent jobs as well)

I do not now were you live but if look in the yellow pages for some near you who make trails and hone them up and see if they cud sell you so think to re-seal your van.

Same has Metz said it will come off with white spirit.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

Main thing is NOT to use a silicone sealant as this stuff splits and easily comes away from what you want to seal. Leaving you with a mess that is very difficult to remove, unsightly and that leaks.

The proper stuff is "never setting" so it can move with the normal movement of the 'van.

As well as the tube caravan sealant you can get it as a strip where you can cut it to length, peel of the backing paper and stick to the 'van then peel of top paper and then apply the awning rail or whatever.

I found it a very satisfying job to do and was appalled at the slapdash way the manufacturer had originally applied the sealant.

Great blobs of it in some areas and a thin smear in others.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

Both Carafax and Sikaflex are widely used in the automotive and leisure industry to seal panels etc, these products is known as one part sealants and are neutral curing. Where Clive went wrong probably was to use the wrong type of sealant.

Silicone is a bit of misrepresentation, as the product is a sealant made up of lots of different chemicals and several key components - Silica sand, Water and an accelerant for curing.

Clive probably used a " High modulus" type which cures very quickly because it has an active ingredient that makes the sealant go hard when it is exposed to the air because it hardens it then doesn't have any give, any joint will then fail and the result will be a leak.

Where as "Low modulus" Silicone forms a skin on the top to give weather proofing and appearance of rigidity, yet under the surface it won't have cured so as to give flexibility. - It use is the UPVC industry and in cosmetic areas of automotive appearance.

Finally "Neutral cure" doesn't have any - chemical accelerant in the tube and therefore fails to set hard it naturally cures over time - 25 years plus. It's main advantage is that because the accelerant chemicals are not present it can be used in more situations with sensitive materials - Aluminium for one is known to react to High Mod and some Low mod sealant - tell-tale signs are a purple tarnish or residue. Equally on PVC it won't react with discoloration.

Essentially you get what you pay for to a certain extent it's is best to seek the advice of one or two local caravan repair centres having said that Carafax, Sika and Wurth also known as (Sebesto) all make Suitable products for your situation.

Good Luck

Monkeys husband

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

Both Carafax and Sikaflex are widely used in the automotive and leisure industry to seal panels etc, these products is known as one part sealants and are neutral curing. Where Clive went wrong probably was to use the wrong type of sealant.

Silicone is a bit of misrepresentation, as the product is a sealant made up of lots of different chemicals and several key components - Silica sand, Water and an accelerant for curing.

Clive probably used a " High modulus" type which cures very quickly because it has an active ingredient that makes the sealant go hard when it is exposed to the air because it hardens it then doesn't have any give, any joint will then fail and the result will be a leak.

Where as "Low modulus" Silicone forms a skin on the top to give weather proofing and appearance of rigidity, yet under the surface it won't have cured so as to give flexibility. - It use is the UPVC industry and in cosmetic areas of automotive appearance.

Finally "Neutral cure" doesn't have any - chemical accelerant in the tube and therefore fails to set hard it naturally cures over time - 25 years plus. It's main advantage is that because the accelerant chemicals are not present it can be used in more situations with sensitive materials - Aluminium for one is known to react to High Mod and some Low mod sealant - tell-tale signs are a purple tarnish or residue. Equally on PVC it won't react with discoloration.

Essentially you get what you pay for to a certain extent it's is best to seek the advice of one or two local caravan repair centres having said that Carafax, Sika and Wurth also known as (Sebesto) all make Suitable products for your situation.

Good Luck

Monkeys husband
Hi,

I am also lookinga t doing the same in the next couple of months and have never done it before.

First off - can I use mastic roll:-

https://sslrelay.com/olearymotorhomeshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1543f5cfce6fec5/shopdata/0010_Adhesives =26amp=3B Sealants/product_details.shopscript?article=0060_Bedding+Mastic+Small+Roll+=28MAS1010=29
and if so, do after cleaning all the rails and the caravan of old sealant, just run it round where the rail goes. Fit rail and cut off excess?

Or is it best to use the CARAFAX IDL99 selant as does look far cheaper or the site above also has Seamseal CV which is not far off the price. If so, how many tubes fo you rekon will do a Lunar Eclipse - 17ft without aframe

Also - what screws should I use?

Thanks

Scott

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

Good Luck

Monkeys husband
Scott,

If you're doing this then here is the trade's way of doing this repair.

1. Remove the rail carefully, making sure that you don't stress the rail - good tool to use is a decorators putty knife.

2. Measure the screws for length and gauge.

3. clean off all traces of the old sealant giving it a wipe finally with white sprit

4. using a matches box - wrapped in 1000 grit wet & Dry gently rub the surface only where the new sealant is to be applied.

5. Repeat points 3-5 for the rail

6. Gun sealant or apply roll to van - then with helper mount your clean new frame back on the van.

In answer to your questions

Yes you can use mastic roll but it tends to be a bit thick in most cases - however if your van is of an old design then it could accommodate the material with a recess. (The packs I would guess O'l sell are 5 metres)

As for your choice well I like Sika products and so my choice would be Sikaflex although the Seamseal CV does look good for the job, the one to avoid in my humble opinion but also that of my colleagues is Soudal - (s**t in a tube) I was once told by a man of 30 plus experience in this business.

When you refit try to use A"2 grade stainless steel screws applied by hand or your screw(Muller) the head with a cordless driver.

Give the guys at O'Leary's a ring - very helpfully and knowledgeable and one of the few companies still building custom motorhomes !

Kindest regards

Monkeys Husband

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts