Seasonal caravan

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Our 2004 caravan is on a seasonal site for the rest of the year. My concern is the tyres and the suspension. Should I consider putting the caravan on jacks to take the weight off the tyres. If so any suggestions for a twin axle.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
find the make of the chassie on the van, mine is Alko and visit their site for information. Most will tell you the best thing to do to maintain the suspension and tyres

Steve

G

I would have assumed that if it is parked on grass the site would need to have it moved at stages to cut the grass. On hardtsnding you could probably removed the wheels and use stands, but make sure they are under the axle.

On an aside note I suspect seasonal pitches will become as controversial as other well worn topics, and I also wonder when the government will start to look at them as 'holiday homes' and charge council tax? I was under the impression you could only stay in one place in a touring caravan/motorhome for a maximum of 28 days, or you became a 'resident' and subject to all the laws etc. Has the EU changed that one? Of course the travelling fraternity simply ignore that one.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
You can stay on a site generally for up to 11 months or at the owners discreation. Remember that basically a static is a caravan. It is only the CC and C & CC that impose limits.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The time limit will depend entirely on the sites' local authority licence. It's not up to the owner although they may specify shorter times than their licence permits.

Caravan Club CLs have a 28 day limit while CC own sites have a self-imposed 21 day limit.

G

I must admit I am in sympathy with the rules on length of stay laid down by both Clubs, although I am not sure how these reconcile with 'seasonal pitches'. I am always 'turned off' when I find a site full of statics. If there is a demand, and agreement, for static, or semi static pitches in what are basically touring sites then I feel they should be in a separate area of the site so that the touring part remains, just that. To each his own, I feel.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Scotch Lad

Not all seasonal pitches are surrounded by static caravans. We were on a site in Northumberland where there were no statics only tourers - from extremely large to rather small. It was mainly used by people who lived within a 1 hour drive away, who didn't want to tow. Since it was a 5 hour trip for us we decided to sell and go back touring.

Unfortunately, when we managed to get up to the site we were surrounded by empty caravans whose owners arrived on Friday evening, leaving Sunday afternoon.

Seasonal pitches are great for site owners. They have their money up-front at the beginning of the year and don't have the worry of trying to fill their site and all the attendant problems caused to them by people touring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts