Seat Leon Fr 1.4 Great tow car

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I thought I would post this due to limited information available regarding small tow cars online. After a 10 year break from caravaning I have just bought a Sterling Eccles sport 442 (1246 kg mtplm) and tow with a Seat Leon FR 1.4 Dsg petrol (kerb weight 1266 kg) With a maximum tow of 1500kg. As you can see I’m towing close to 100%. I only bought the car a year ago and was not keen to change it and really wanted this caravan. So I took a chance. The Leon Fr is a small tow car but has good towing review. I towed with it for the first time a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised how good it i was. The 1.4 turbo engine(150 bhp) was plenty powerful enough and the outfit combination handled very well. I kept the caravan light, loading the car with the heavier items. The caravan is fitted with ATC which is a big bonus but never felt it in use at anytime on my 100 mile adventure. I feel that you should try and stick to the 85% rule if possible as you will more likely enjoy a more pleasurable towing experience but saying that I chose to tow close to 100% and finding no problems so far with sensible loading and driving.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As you say the ratio is not good, and I would think needs considerable care. I would be looking at keeping the speed down on motorways and the like and certainly load heavier items in the car rather than the caravan. In the long term I think you agree a heavier car would be the best bet though. It is certainly not a combination I would suggest for a newcomer, but given what you say, will probably work for you as long as you accept the limitations involved and drive accordingly.

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I have now covered 500 miles travelling on motorways and through the The Peak District. The car has towed very well up and down the steep gradients. I have had no worries being over taken by lorries and coaches on the motorways either. I was worried how the the outfit would handle when so many people out there offer words of caution and limitation when you tow over the 85%. So far so good.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear. The Seat looks a decent tow car with a wheel at each corner and moist VW group cars do tow well. The 85% figure is cautionary as some cars are better than others and might be needed on a different outfit. I do wonder though if the improvements in both car and caravan handling might have made it a bit low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts