Second hand caravans buying advise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
THIS WAS A REPLY TO A SIMILAR ASKED QUESTION FROM ANOTHER PCA MEMBER AND I COPIED IT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE,I THINK IT IS A GOOD THING TO FOLLOW,BUT YOU MUST BEWARE,UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT CARAVANS,I SUGGEST YOU TAKE SOMEBODY ALONG THAT DOES WHEN IT COMES TO PURCHASING YOUR VAN.YES YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY GET A BETTER PRICE FROM A PRIVATE SALE,WHERE AS A DEALER MIGHT BE A LOT DEARER, THERE IS PEACE OF MIND WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE VAN AND YOU CAN TAKE IT BACK WITHIN THE WARRANTY TIME GIVEN FOR REPAIR(I HOPE??) NOT ALL DEALERS ARE THAT RESPONSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST AS YOU WELL MIGHT KNOW.JUST HAVE A GOOD LOOK ROUND THE DEALERS JUST TO SEE WHAT CATCHES YOUR EYE AND IF ANY OF THE SAME COME UP PRIVATE COMPARE THE TWO AND THEN ITS UP TO YOU.BE CAREFUL AND HAPPY HUNTING.

suggest checking the following:

-If the CRiS no. is etched onto the windows, check that they all give the same number. Ask to see the CRiS certificate.

-Check the tyre condition. Remember that they should be replaced after 5 years regardless of their visual condition or wear. So a pair of new tyres will cost over

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
THIS WAS A REPLY TO A SIMILAR ASKED QUESTION FROM ANOTHER PCA MEMBER AND I COPIED IT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE,I THINK IT IS A GOOD THING TO FOLLOW,BUT YOU MUST BEWARE,UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT CARAVANS,I SUGGEST YOU TAKE SOMEBODY ALONG THAT DOES WHEN IT COMES TO PURCHASING YOUR VAN.YES YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY GET A BETTER PRICE FROM A PRIVATE SALE,WHERE AS A DEALER MIGHT BE A LOT DEARER, THERE IS PEACE OF MIND WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE VAN AND YOU CAN TAKE IT BACK WITHIN THE WARRANTY TIME GIVEN FOR REPAIR(I HOPE??) NOT ALL DEALERS ARE THAT RESPONSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST AS YOU WELL MIGHT KNOW.JUST HAVE A GOOD LOOK ROUND THE DEALERS JUST TO SEE WHAT CATCHES YOUR EYE AND IF ANY OF THE SAME COME UP PRIVATE COMPARE THE TWO AND THEN ITS UP TO YOU.BE CAREFUL AND HAPPY HUNTING.

suggest checking the following:

-If the CRiS no. is etched onto the windows, check that they all give the same number. Ask to see the CRiS certificate.

-Check the tyre condition. Remember that they should be replaced after 5 years regardless of their visual condition or wear. So a pair of new tyres will cost over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Look at as many vans as you can and sit in them for a spell to get the feel. Decide which layout suits you best and if you have ANY doubts, move on to the next van. Having viewed hundreds of used vans before we decided on a layout etc, you Instinctivly know when you have the best compromise.There are literaly thousands of vans on dealer forcourts so take your time to choose one. Not all dealers clean the vans before putting them up for sale, if the van has had a good clean by its previous owner before trading it in, then its a good indication its been looked after. Only today we where looking at some used vans and one was literaly full of dog hairs still. That dosn't say much for the previous owner!!!.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also suggest you buy one of the Haynes Manuals on Caravans - there are two types available - I have the one which is geared up to maintaining the 'van and is very helpful and would have been very useful to me when I was buying my first caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts