Security on site

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've noticed on a few sites recently that some people are taking the precaution of chaining their aqua rolls / wastemasters etc to the van.

I know it's a sorry state of affairs but does anyone else do this?

Or do you have any other security type tips you'd like to share?

Lisa

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
They do tell that the Braykewynde Army of Privaate Yeomanry stand gaurd over his Aquaroll and steps etc and can be hired for a small fee when he is at the family pile ;-)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, we secure the aquaroll and wastemaster to the chassis of the caravan after having both stolen whilst on a commercial site.

I agree that it is a sad state to get into, but having to replace them simply because there are light fingered people about is worse than just losing them.

We also always put the step inside the van when we go out,as we "lost " that at the same time as the water items.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Well Cris, thanks for your input.

I am sure Lisa couldn't have done without it !!!!! It looks like it the way it's going Lisa everything is being dummed down !!!!!!!!!

Val & Frank

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks folks.

Damian - I never though of attaching them to the chasis, I was thinking corner steadies DOH! Thanks.

Whilst we're on the subject - does anyone have any tips for getting rust off chains?

Lisa

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
OK

To be honest with probably a couple of hundred pounds of gear sat in the open we have always used thinish stainless wire rope with and eye in each end, but with one larger than the other so you can loop the wire and then run it through handles and padlock it to the chassis or legs.

Many boat chandlers will make up wires for you in a variety of wire sizes, we make our own and they last for ever as they don't rust.

The wires are light in weight and hard to cut for an opportune thief, so it a good deterrent.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any tips on getting rust off chains? I've got several chains in the shed which I could use to secure caravan equipment (I used them for securing leisure battery and solar charger at the field) but they are really rusty.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

We only use C.C sites and the only one I have been ill at ease in was Clumber Park,They have special frames on each pitch to enable people to clamp there bykes to , but some still get stolen along with other items.I kept a close watch on on all our outside equipment untill the weekenders had gone( Not wishing to slate everybody)but i read on this forum some time ago that a member had had some of his outside stuff stolen by weekenders.

If I had to carry locks and chains to attatch the outside (ie water bottles and waste master) I would give up Caravanning.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Royston

I don't know anyone personally who has had anything stolen but I think I'll be doing this from now on as a matter of course. I would say they'd have to get past my dogs first but the dogs sleep in the awning.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

We only use C.C sites and the only one I have been ill at ease in was Clumber Park,They have special frames on each pitch to enable people to clamp there bykes to , but some still get stolen along with other items.I kept a close watch on on all our outside equipment untill the weekenders had gone( Not wishing to slate everybody)but i read on this forum some time ago that a member had had some of his outside stuff stolen by weekenders.

If I had to carry locks and chains to attatch the outside (ie water bottles and waste master) I would give up Caravanning.
To be honest Royston I don't think in Clumbers instance it's just weekenders. It's a big site with lot's of accesses out into the forest and as you know lots of people use the park including boy racers. Clumber is well known for the theft of equipment though. I've seen a couple of threads in the past in the forum warning others.

I agree with your comment about the locks and chains. I would have to do more serious research on the sites I used if I carried on caravanning.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We've never had anything stolen, but then it is wired to the van, two of our earlier vans had no stowage place for the spare wheel so on site it was secured the same way under the van. And they were said to be a popular item left unsecured!

We've heard of quite a FEW thefts over the years but they are just a FEW and most have been in daylight when people are away from the site.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Having to shackle items to the caravan now for security. Whatever next. I guess its just a reflextion of the sad society we all live in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts