Security Post Recommendations.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Having now bought my Caravan I want to put a Security Post in front of it.
Has anyone got any recommendations please,
I believe that ones which are 4" Square may be stronger than the 3" Round.
Has anyone fitted one and it defeated a potential theft.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I doubt if a post has put a thief off is one of those things its very difficult to prove, as the only evidence will be the caravan is still there!

The best we can do is to make your caravan less attractive than someone else's, and a security post may just be the item that does it. Any post will be better than none, and on the basis that a bigger one may take longer to overcome it makes sense to go for the bigger one.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Thread resurrection! We're with Ripe Insurance & have just upgraded our caravan. Subsequently & because the new van is over a certain value they have stipulated that we have a security post in front of it. Seems barmy as there's always a vehicle parked in front of the caravan which is usually our towcar which has an independent immobiliser.
I'm looking at the Crookstoppers post which is £115 without the lock (I've got one anyway) If the caravan gets nicked then the scrotes will be nicking a car too. Trouble is if I don't have a post I wouldn't get a claim in.
Probably would've been cheaper to cancel the existing insurance & go with a company that doesn't require a post fitting. :rolleyes:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The most effective are the ones with a tow ball on top so that you can hitch your caravan to it. This means that they cannot simply cut the post at near ground level and drive over it and will put off many who might otherwise be tempted. basically you need to make the theft as difficult as possible so that they choose another target but at the end of the day nothing is totally impregnable.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
The most effective are the ones with a tow ball on top so that you can hitch your caravan to it. This means that they cannot simply cut the post at near ground level and drive over it and will put off many who might otherwise be tempted. basically you need to make the theft as difficult as possible so that they choose another target but at the end of the day nothing is totally impregnable.
Yes, Crookstoppers do those too. Only problem is I've got very little leeway on the drive (just enough room to get the garage door open behind the caravan, get the bins out & the car on the drive without encroaching on to the footpath) You can guarantee that every time I put the caravan on the drive I have to jack one side up to get the axle lock lined up.
I should've bought a shorter caravan. :confused_old:

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Well I bought a Crookstopper removable post & I must say it appears to be a substantial piece of equipment.
I’m going to put it in so the lock needs to be accessed from behind the post, if anyone wants to get the bolt croppers going they’ll have to lie under the caravan, except they’ll need to grind the steel protective plate off first.
An angle grinder would take a while due to the gauge of the steel & a Stihl saw with a metal cutting blade would attract attention. You can only do what you can or what’s feasible.
I know, I know, if they want it they’ll have it.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts