seized in carver crystal filter

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Anyone offer advice as to how I might remove a seized in Carver filter. I purchased a 2nd hand caravan and I am trying to replace the water filter but it just wont budge. I purchased the plastic tool to aid in removal but it snapped !! I am considering mole grips but I think I may crack the housing. I didnt want to have to replace the whole housing if I could avoid it, Anyone got some tips ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nasty ! I had same problem some years ago. Applying mole grips just deformed the lugs on the top of the filter element and further effort just broke the housing round the threads. It's a fairly poor design but later ones have a small bump which you can just feel when replacing the filter. Don't try to go beyound this. It also helps to put some silicone grease round the thread and O ring before fitting the filter. Filtapac sell a metal tool which is much better than the plastic ones.

Sof far as removing the stock elemnet, I think if would try destroying it gently from the centre - make a hole souch that you can get the blade of a mini saw - without the handle - in and cut gently towards the threads. A couple of cuts like this may relieve the stress around the thread and thus allow you to unscrew the remains. If you do break the housing, frankly I would be tempted not to replace it but to go for a straightforward pump connector and then an in-line filter (Filtapac again) where you can get at it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
It helps if it's warm or use a heat gun pehaps to warm up the plastic, fool proof way then is to use a pair of pliers the wrong way round, two pictures below explain all

http://www.arcsystems.biz/Pictures/Filter1.jpg
http://www.arcsystems.biz/Pictures/Filter2.jpg
hi had the same problem last year,used pliers to snap off outer ring of filter, you will then find it easy to turn the filter, i used a adjustable spanner with a long screwdriver throug the end to give you the leverage, all the best.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hello Martin

The easiest way of getting these out is to get a piece of wood about 10 inches long and the same width as the filter then cut a groove in the top of the wood about a quarter of an inch deep then put this over the filter then carefully turn anticlockwise do it very slowly and the filter will turn and come out when you replace a new one put a little vegetable oil on the thread and tighten up.

Regards

Roy

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Had the same problem myself. Posted the question on the forum and was given the idea of using the mole grips to fasten on to the filter. Next use a spanner on the mole grips to turn filter. It worked for me , hope it helps. Hugh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts