selling my motorhome....advice please

nje

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 2015 Hymer which I would like to change, and currently I am shopping around to look for a new motorhome, probably not a Hymer, but not sure yet.

I am not sure whether it is generally best to trade in and accept the deal I get from the supplier, or to answer one or more of the many "we buy your motorhome" ads. Am I likely to get more or less the same either way?

I don't feel I can sell it privately because I keep it in a storage pitch a few miles away and going there to meet prospect viewers/buyers might be difficult.

Any advice welcome,

Nick

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.
I've no first hand experience of either method, as I've always sold privately (except one very old van I px'd in the 90s, which was only fit for scrapping!).
Logically though, especially with a 3 year old van, I'd expect you'd do better negotiating a px with the dealer you're thinking of buying from. He has the incentive to try to please you, as you're the (net) paying customer, and he wants that new sale!
The "buy-any" firms don't have that incentive, their business model relies simply on getting your van for the lowest price they can get you to accept. I've heard anecdotes of some firms knocking down the price on the phone, then when they turn up, looking for excuses to knock some more off. Wouldn't want to tar them all with the same brush, but since you'd ONLY be selling, not buying from them, you don't have as strong a bargaining position as with a dealer who has something to sell you.
That said, getting offers from a couple of them would at least give you a "base line" for negotiating a px. At least you'd know for sure NOT to accept less than that!
Hope that helps a bit, but no doubt others will chip in ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts