Selling on eBay

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I used to sell stuff occasionally on eBay but gave up when they stopped using PayPal for this. I too wasnt happy with them having my bank details.

The world has gone techno-mad. This morning I went to Screwfix for some pipe clips and screws. It used to be so easy. You went in and thumbed through the catalogue, wrote down the number and then went and paid and collected your stuff.

Not anymore. No catalogues but a tablet which you have to use to search for stuff but is hopeless at getting it right. In desperation I tried looking for the number of the Samaritans but all it could suggest was Swarfega.

I found the clips but gave up on the screws and I went to pay and was grilled to prove I was who I said I was. The tablet was less than 6ft from the till and I was the only one in the store. Fortunately I could remember my inside leg measurement which was what they had on record.

Then told they didn't have the clips but they'd be in tomorrow. Having left in bewilderment I realized I'd got no paper work so hopefully the email or text will arrive tomorrow and I can get my clips if I can remember my waist size.

Supposedly all for my convenience.

Yeah right!

Reactions: Len W
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always purchase my Screwfix or Toolstation on line then just walk over about 10-15minutesand collect once their sms is received. Re Samaritans I discussed volunteering with the family. The consensus was that it would be like pouring petrol on a fire. 🔥

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Unfortunately where I live there are no longer any shops selling everyday things someone might need but there is an unreasonable amount of outdoor clothing stores for the hunting fishing crowd but not much else. We do have 5 supermarkets though. Nearest Pub about 10 miles away as they have all turned into business centers or are just lying empty, I'm willing to bet there was more business done in the local pubs than there is in these so called bushiness hubs. I am reduced to complaining over the internet. Recently I drove 60 miles to buy a new leisure battery after the one I bought on the internet turned out to have no charge and wouldn't take one. I guess I'm just selfish as normally I like change but not so much when it affects me directly.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Recently I drove 60 miles to buy a new leisure battery after the one I bought on the internet turned out to have no charge and wouldn't take one. I guess I'm just selfish as normally I like change but not so much when it affects me directly.
We a similar issue with a car battery bought over the Internet which worked for a few days and then would not recharge. Trying to return was a real hassle.

The company went through all the diagnostics and agreed that there was a possibility it was faulty, but I had to find a courier to return the battery and pay for the courier for the return.

Once they confirmed the battery was faulty, they would refund the cost of the courier. As I did not need all the hassle of returning the battery and taking into account the cost of the new battery I decided to go to a shop to replace the battery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We a similar issue with a car battery bought over the Internet which worked for a few days and then would not recharge. Trying to return was a real hassle.

The company went through all the diagnostics and agreed that there was a possibility it was faulty, but I had to find a courier to return the battery and pay for the courier for the return.

Once they confirmed the battery was faulty, they would refund the cost of the courier. As I did not need all the hassle of returning the battery and taking into account the cost of the new battery I decided to go to a shop to replace the battery.
I had similar with a caravan battery. As a used one is classed as hazardous waste most couriers do not have the licence to transport it. In the end the threat of Small Claims action hit the seller to arrange collection. Never again.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I bought a leisure battery online and delivered by courier - when I unpacked it the case was cracked and acid leaking - I contacted the seller, included some photos, so they refunded the cost - they asked me to dispose of the faulty battery to avoid them paying return courier costs.

I've subsequently bought another leisure battery online with no issues - my car will need a new battery soon, I would buy online but it'll be too heavy for me to fit.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I brought a hoover on Ebay very quick postage and when it arrived it was not the item so i sent it back with the free label and seven days later got a full refund

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I used to sell stuff occasionally on eBay but gave up when they stopped using PayPal for this. I too wasnt happy with them having my bank details.

The world has gone techno-mad. This morning I went to Screwfix for some pipe clips and screws. It used to be so easy. You went in and thumbed through the catalogue, wrote down the number and then went and paid and collected your stuff.

Not anymore. No catalogues but a tablet which you have to use to search for stuff but is hopeless at getting it right. In desperation I tried looking for the number of the Samaritans but all it could suggest was Swarfega.

I found the clips but gave up on the screws and I went to pay and was grilled to prove I was who I said I was. The tablet was less than 6ft from the till and I was the only one in the store. Fortunately I could remember my inside leg measurement which was what they had on record.

Then told they didn't have the clips but they'd be in tomorrow. Having left in bewilderment I realized I'd got no paper work so hopefully the email or text will arrive tomorrow and I can get my clips if I can remember my waist size.

Supposedly all for my convenience.

Yeah right!
The conclusion.....

Got the text message from Screwfix stating my parts were ready for collection and it included my order number.

Went to the store, in which the area in front of the counter is about the same space as our caravan.

Only one in the store so I showed the lass at the till my text message and was directed to enter the number into the tablet on the wall behind me. I politely asked if she couldn't just read it. No it has to be typed into the machine, which I did. It then sent her a message presumably telling her where to go to get it.

I can't make out what problem this method is solving. 🙄

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The conclusion.....

Got the text message from Screwfix stating my parts were ready for collection and it included my order number.

Went to the store, in which the area in front of the counter is about the same space as our caravan.

Only one in the store so I showed the lass at the till my text message and was directed to enter the number into the tablet on the wall behind me. I politely asked if she couldn't just read it. No it has to be typed into the machine, which I did. It then sent her a message presumably telling her where to go to get it.

I have not had anything from Screwfix for a couple of months, no problem then. Sounds like they may have changed their procedures.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The conclusion.....

Maybe the Machine, translated it into Scottish, Took Mrs H to live in Monymusk near Aberdeen and the Doric , which for myself was fine but it took a few months for the boss to acclimatise. She is a Toonie Na, a Chuctker.

Reactions: Sam Vimes
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have brought stuff from Screwfix or Toolstation and placed a order online and pay and when we get a sms as soon as it ready to collect so far no problems

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The normal online for delivery is no problem. The few times when I need a click and collect when we visit Inverness I print out the order before going and just hand it over. They find the stuff and away I go.

If I've ordered in the store I used to look in the catalogue and fill out a piece of paper, pay and go.

Not sure if this a new system that will appear everywhere or its activated just when I go in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts