Seriously thinking of not going to France 2016

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Judging by today's news about the Russian plane being shot down, I am more likely to cross Turkey off a lit of holiday destinations.

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Carper2 - Thinking of going to Malaga, Spain via France with our caravan for the first time in winter, next January. We would likely drive from Zeebrugge. Can you tell me what sites you use en route to Spain?

Thanks

Lawrence

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lawrence
We get the Ferry from Portsmouth to Caen arriving at 9.30pm. Our first night is spent at Des Capuccine 10 minutes from the port, from there we go to Poitier and stop at Le Futuriste using Camping Cheques. From there it is off to Urrugne to La Roulletta An ACSI site. Then we have either stopped at Zaragoza or altomiro at Navaras. We won't go back to Altomiro again as some of the pitches have a kerb Bout 12 inches to get up. The next day we go onto Benicassim our main destination.
Unfortunately this won't be of much use to you with you getting the ferry to Zeebruge.

Les

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lawrence ........this is what I will be doing on our trip down to the Nerja area at the end of January next year

Dunkerque to.......http://www.campinglafontainedesclercs.fr/
to.........................http://www.camping-le-futuriste.fr/index.php#
to.........................http://www.larrouleta.com/campsite-france-basque-country.html
to.........................http://www.campingaranjuez.co.uk/
............................then on to our destination.

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Les
Thanks for this. Not sure where exactly to go in Spain. What is the name of the site you use. Looking for fairly large pitch to take caravan, awning, car and sitting out space.

Lawrence

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Lawrence we use Bonterra Park in Benicassim our Van is 7.38m and have never had a problem getting on a pitch. It is in the ACSI book.

Les

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Today's newsletter to Brittany Ferries travel club members indicates increased security checks with consequent delays to boarding and leaving port. I trust they will start the boarding earlier to avoid any great overall delay, but glad to hear that checks are increasing. Newsletter mentions hand luggage as well as vehicles

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fontaine des clercs, this site is just an hour from calais/ Dunkirk. Not the prettiest in the middle of Winter, but ended up staying there for a month two years ago in Feburary, due to so much snow couldnt go anywhere else. Nice Town Montruiel, nice bars and resturants, the Manager Mr Michael, grumpy at first but a helpfull person once you know him. Bit of a tight road to get to it, but a handy night stop for the ferrys.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........I must be considered suspicious as for at least the last 5 years we have been questioned and searched at Dunkerque before each sailing back to Dover.
Search of car and caravan at the secured dock area looking for stowaways.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Over the last 4 years, we have gone to France every 12 weeks for a month, (Tax reasons) and have always been checked in Dunkirke or Calais, by the sniffer dogs , or the border control, last month, before coming back from Switzerland, nothing. I would have thought security would have heightened by then. Not going to stop us from going over to France, Having lived in Nigeria for the last 20 years,
GB, wont be able to meet you in Henly, , hospital appointment, anothwr time another place.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Over the last 4 years, we have gone to France every 12 weeks for a month, (Tax reasons) and have always been checked in Dunkirke or Calais, by the sniffer dogs , or the border control, last month, before coming back from Switzerland, nothing. I would have thought security would have heightened by then. Not going to stop us from going over to France, Having lived in Nigeria for the last 20 years,
GB, wont be able to meet you in Henly, , hospital appointment, anothwr time another place.

You're not the chap I've invested all my savings with are you? If so, when can I expect to receive the promised 17% return? :(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No i am looking for him as well, Banks in Nigeria offering 35% if you dare, . Happily retired in Uk. looking forward to seeing more of the home country, but surprisinly missing, visiting France, especially my little hidaway. Vermenton, between Avalon and Auxerre.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
http://www.camping-vermenton.com
A lovely mid sized site, only a few bars and eating places in the village, 20 miutes walk, lovely river to swim in, dogs allowed off leads outside of the site, secure code gate. Serge and Madam Moniquie, wonderfull , wardens / manager. But speak little Engish, but are great, . God area for Chablais vinyards, also a good municiple site in Chablise itself.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Chrisbee1, are you the chap that I am holding $ 2, 000,000 for if so please forward bank details , wife photo and dog/ cat micro chip numbers to my Private message. Box.
Hopefully
Prince, Sir, Alistair, Dog Owner, Hutch.
RSVP.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Must say , we came back from France in August this year and security was a shambles calais side ! Checked by British , not the French and they only wanted to check that our gas was off !!! ( there's me thinking me 7o + bottles off wine confiscated !! ) but no inside checks .... Could off been carrying anything or anybody !! Due to a job change I ain't got me usual 3 weeks for France next year so we are doing a cheapy down to Cornwall , but hopefully back to France in 2o17 !!

Happy caravaning .
Craig .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craig, check out Vermenton, see my link, good stop over, and good for Chablais area. . We also use Montrouil, Fontaine les Clercs. 1 hour from ferrys.
Hutch

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Les

Thanks for this. Looks a good site. My wife is concerned at the trees around the pitches. Are these trees around all the pitches or are there any areas 'unshaded'?

Lawrence

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Lawrence1 said:
Les

Thanks for this. Looks a good site. My wife is concerned at the trees around the pitches. Are these trees around all the pitches or are there any areas 'unshaded'?

Lawrence

Bonterra Park has got trees on most of the pitches. It gets so hot in the summer that they even put shades over the top. During the winter all the trees are bare.

Les

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
This will be our 3rd year of going there. It has everything we want and the area is perfect for cycling even for beginners like us.
As you say the standards are high and the Staff are extremely helpful.

Les

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Anyone travelled through Calais over the last week or so, either by ferry or tunnel? Read a few comments on other forums or newspaper online comment section regarding some people having unpleasant experiences with migrants. The Times also reported nightly skirmishes between police and migrants, Daily Mail reported lorries having windows smashed and attempt made by large group to storm the tunnel a couple of days ago. Seems as though there are still ongoing problems although they don't appear to be making the headlines they were over the summer. Just wondered if anyone had recent personal experience of Calais..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts