Seriously thinking of not going to France 2016

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Next year will be my first time touring France, my question is would any of you recommend me buying a Liber-t (telepeage) for easier toll payments?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Most definatley, I have had mine for over 4 years now, It saves all the hassels of passenger leaning out or getting out of the car to pay, if you can get a card to work or the machine to work, also you pay at the end of the next month, and the exchange rate is averaged out , over the month. I have found the paege are not as expensive as some make out, if your going a long distance it save so much time.
Dont go into caravan marked ares in the Aires, if you have a large outfit, they are designed for the smaller units.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Andy, have you decided on which areas yet, , what time of year and for how long, the lads on here can all give great advice, I have done a fair bit of touring in France, over the last 4 years , winter and Summer.So ask away with your questions, some one will always have an answer.
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, Sir WC, I was just typing a correction to my mistake, when you got there before me. M apolodies to the Ladies out there.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
APowell8 said:
Hi
Next year will be my first time touring France, my question is would any of you recommend me buying a Liber-t (telepeage) for easier toll payments?

I would suggest that you avoid the motor ways and see some of the country by taking the N roads instead.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True you can se the better scenery if you take the , Routes Nationals, or Bis routes (Bison Fute(crafty bison)). Free maps from tourist offices and some service stations.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh and remember Andy, the road numbering can be complex, they have E (Europe) numbers, N (National) normally an A No. And D (District Nos.) Ie. The road out from Dunkirk, starts off as the N225 & E42, then after about 10 miles changes to be the A25 & E42, but beware the N42 and E42 are not the same roads. , you can always find a municiple campsite, within 10 miles if you get lost, oh and most sites close from 12 am to 2 pm. Lunch.
Have fun
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends on how far you are going and how much benefit you are prepared to pay for in better roads, easier driving, no roundabouts etc.
Some years ago i would have said - no, stick to the N or D roads and take your time. However much of my current travel in France is quite long distance - up to 300 miles/day -and my wife now does some of the towing and it was much less stressful for her to start on the motorways.

A compromise is to use the autoroute only to get round the bigger towns and cities.

Basically you pay an up-front rental charge for the tag, refunded when you surrender it eventually. You pay a small fee for the first two months you use it, but thereafter the charges are just the same as what you would pay by cash or card at the booths. (The first two months cost 5 euro each). You set up a direct debit mandate and get an email invoice and confirmation of payment.

If you are going to use the autoroutes anyway, a major advantage is that with the tag you can use the HGV lanes which are much wider than the normal car lanes you have to use otherwise. Some are marked with a large 30 sign above the entry - the lanes are usually on the extreme right hand side. If you approach at 30 kph or less, the camera will react quickly enough that you do not actually have to stop at all - great.

If all this sounds a bit lazy and extravagant our combined ages are now above 150 so we make things as easy as we can.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
APowell8 said:
Hi

No, because its much more fun touring on non-motorway roads.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Its nice to get off the paeges, if your only moving maybe 100 mile in a day, but if your moving to a designated area of maybe 200 , 300 miles, then I prefer to use the paege, and for the small cost of the tag per year , i find its worth it for the odd occasion to use it. Municiple sites I have found to be great. As long as there is a nice bar nearby for a glass of beer or wine with the locals.
Hutch.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
APowell , I agree with Hutch , if you are only doing one or two hundred miles a day it would be nice to go the country way off the motorway but in our case we have the two kids and we were doing to plan over 500 miles to get to where we were going up to the Dordogne , we had a 7 hour drive ahead of us so the country lanes and sightseeing went out off the equation. There is still some nice views. The toll tag came in very handy this year as it saved time getting through through the tolls no problem unlike last year when we didnt have one ,we were waiting in half hour queues every time we got to them . So depending on your situation enjoy the scenic route if you have plenty of time and are in no hurry but in our case we have the kids so it will be motorway to get to our destination. Whatever you decide , enjoy your first trip to France and don't forget if you were going over the Dartford crossing you need to pay for that !!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, Emmerson, Steve and Swing low, when you are touring , do you have a final destination or go as I did one year and wander, and one winter ( Disaterous due to rain) this makes all the diifference. I ended up finding a medium sized campsite, in Vermenton , just on chance, which we go back to most years passing through, you can just make the ferries in a day. , touring.
Happy new Year All.
Hutch.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
well said mate we went to normandy in May stayed at a gite. we had travelled on the tunnel. great time lovely meals out. The tunnel area and Calais were trouble free when we were there. which was during daylight. Dont let the buggers win.

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Please do not stop coming to France for your holidays. Yes it is sad what happened in Paris but remember France is mostly rural so I can`t see the terrorists coming to some rural idyll and blowing themselves up. The ferries can be a bit of a worry, we use Caen/Portsmouth as we live in Normandy and yes there is extra security but I think it`s worth the extra ten minutes wait for peace of mind.
As we live here we are members of the owners property club and can give our number out to guests so you get a 10-15% discount on your crossing with Brittany ferries.
If anyone wants my number just message me as I`m not sure I`m allowed to post it on here. If the mods say it`s ok then I will post it. Just trying to save you guys some money as you were very helpful to me when I joined the site a few weeks ago. Enjoy your trip to France it`s such a massive and beautiful country.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Geordiegirl, When we came over at easter, on route to Switzerland, no problems either way. Coming over late july for a six week tour. Just had a 18 week course in basic French , at age 64. Bet I still order a glass of fish for two. Having worked in Troubled areas, world wide, not a lot fases myself and the better half.
For new caravanners to France, it is so nice and easy, a lot more sites than you would realise, if touring , never book, just get there justv after lunch. .
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts