service charge

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, i have a new senator wyoming and when i its due for its service i wont be going to the dealers because its to far. bailey have a register of dealers and service centres that do servicing and warrenty work.

a service centre will be cheaper than a dealer and sometimes the service centres do mobile servicing.

where in the country do you live?.

the service centre i use costs

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I absolutely resent paying more to have my caravan serviced than my car. What I got for my money was a damp test, wheel hubs taken off when ALKO DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Charged about

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Sorry posted in wrong place!

Hi Robert

The very point I was making is that ALKO state in their manual

"axles come fitted with maintenance free wheel bearings (greased and sealed for life) and no adjustment is necessary.

Check wheel brake linings for wear every 10,00 kilomeyers or every 12 months via the inspection hole. Adjust if necessary."

There is no mention of cleaning with fluid.

You don't need a torque wrench since you don't need to take them off!

In fact taking the hubs off unnecessarily could be damaging you caravan.

Regards

Reg

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reg, whilst the bearings are sealed for life, the seals can, and do, fail, allowing the grease to come out, rendering the bearing useless and the friction pads contaminated.

Also, looking through the inspection hole, if you can get your eye in just the right place, you cannot see the whole of the pad lining, and they are known to craze and parts fall off.

The linings themselves can occasionally become detached from the backing shoe, which again you cannot see until the hub is taken off.

Lastly, whilst it is nice to think that all will be as stated, as the parts are mass produced, there will be failures, lets hope it is not on your van.

I really do not understand why people are willing to pay out thousands of pounds on a caravan , only to moan and scrimp on the relatively minor cost of proper servicing, still, each to their own I guess, especially if your safety is not worth the cost of two (or four for a twin axle) one shot nuts.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Damien.

Do you put the knowledge of a service engineer above that of the ALKO designers, manufacturers and service recommendations?

Do you have the wheels and hubs taken off your car each time it goes in for a service?

As you say each to his own!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reg, yes I do put practical knowledge above "ideal condition" designers, and just a small point to justify my thought, do you remember the Titanic??????that was NOT supposed to sink, ask the 1500 who drowned what hey think!!

Second point, YES the wheels come off the car every time it is serviced because you cannot measure the disc thickness without taking them off.

The hubs on Al-Ko brakes are generally no problem, but bearing do wear and seals leak, which can only be seen by taking the hub off.

The more important point is the thorough checking of the brakes and the cleaning and re greasing of the reverse mechanism and adjuster mechanism.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Damien

We're obviously never going to agree on this but if you are content with having work done on both your car and caravan which the manufacturers do not think is necessary (and a view which I share) then good for you.

I'm sure we could have a great summers evening outside our vans with a bottle of wine exchanging views!

I wish you well and happy caravanning

Regards

Reg

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kenneth

I intend to use this chap:

http://www.bjleisure.net/
He's got a small workshop in Shelford. I haven't used him before. If you use him, can you let me know if you are satisfied with his work. He always seems to have plenty of caravans in for service.

Mods, if I have contravened forum etiquette by posting the link, sorry but can you pass my email address onto Kenneth so I can email the info directly to him.

Many thanks.

Lisa

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Reg, yes I do put practical knowledge above "ideal condition" designers, and just a small point to justify my thought, do you remember the Titanic??????that was NOT supposed to sink, ask the 1500 who drowned what hey think!!

Second point, YES the wheels come off the car every time it is serviced because you cannot measure the disc thickness without taking them off.

The hubs on Al-Ko brakes are generally no problem, but bearing do wear and seals leak, which can only be seen by taking the hub off.

The more important point is the thorough checking of the brakes and the cleaning and re greasing of the reverse mechanism and adjuster mechanism.
Sorry Damian......

You say that the wheels come off etc etc for yur car service...

Unless you stand ther and check they do it.......eh....NO they dont

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts