Service starions

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone, do any of you have recommendations for service stations between Worcestershire and Devon that are good or better to stop at with caravans..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Taunton Deane is okay but may be too close to Worcester. After that it’s Exeter but it serves both directions of the motorway on one side of the carriage way and caravan parking is limited. Although you can always park in the commercial HGV area. We never left our caravan on its own in service areas.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone, do any of you have recommendations for service stations between Worcestershire and Devon that are good or better to stop at with caravans..

By far the best services on the M5 are Gloucester Services. Independently run, fantastic cafe and farm shop. Might not be far enough into your journey though.

Dedicated very easy access caravan parking, but it's a bit away from the services themselves. Wheel clamp and hitch lock the 'van if leaving it, (wherever you decide to stop).

Reactions: Ferrodo
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you google ‘best M5 services southbound with a caravan’ you will find some interesting links with reviews and some definite no gos. Included is Caravan Talk thread which is worth a delve! Also a link to services NOt on the motorway . Personally I also use google maps for ‘garden centres near xxx’ and for example there is a Sanders GC on the A38 just north of J22 with ample parking and good cafe!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Newbie question again. Why stop at a service station at all?

For my first long trip (5 hours plus) in a couple of months my plan is to put a couple of litres of water in the caravan, park up in a suitable lay-by and make myself a cup of tea and a sandwich. I recon less than 5 minutes to drop the steadies and turn the gas on (won't bother unhitching and leveling for a short stop). Is there a problem traveling the rest of the way with one or two deposits in the toilet waste tank if the flap is closed?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

For my first long trip (5 hours plus) in a couple of months my plan is to put a couple of litres of water in the caravan, park up in a suitable lay-by and make myself a cup of tea and a sandwich. I recon less than 5 minutes to drop the steadies and turn the gas on (won't bother unhitching and leveling for a short stop). Is there a problem traveling the rest of the way with one or two deposits in the toilet waste tank if the flap is closed?
We always travelled with a couple of litres in the waste and flush tanks. Even stopping in motorway services we would often use the caravan facilities and have our sandwiches in the caravan too.

Reactions: Dustydog and Beardy
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
When we leave Nth Devon our quick stop going upcountry is either Michealwood or Gloucester. All the services between junction 27 and Bristol are best avoided😱

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site

If you keep the amounts to a minimum no problem at all. Certainly not advised to travel with a full flush tank at the rear of the 'van.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

None at all. In fact all that shaking may well assist the decomposing process. Just make sure you give the waste tank a thorough clean when home . I use the proprietary cassette cleaner at the end of every trip. All clean , sanitised , ready for next trip

Reactions: Beardy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We normally stop at Michaelwood. Gordono services is just south of Bristol and probably about half way. Not too impressed with services after Gordono and if we do have to stop after Gordono , we use the facilities in the caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gordano is only 63 miles from Worcester so a bit early for a stop on a five hour journey.. But it depends on the OPs driving approach as to how many stops may be required. But Taunton Deane is an okay place and has a large HGV area if the caravan/ motorhome parking is full. There’s Bridgwater recently declared as one of the three worst service areas in U.K. Which correlates with the M5 being the worst motorway for caravans and motorhomes despite the huge numbers using that motorway.

But looking at it objectively the OPs after a stop over not a weeks five star all inclusive.. So just parking up in the HGV area and using the caravan facilities or the service area facilities isn’t that big a deal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you can stand the smell of urine!
I did actually say “ if the caravan/ motorhome parking is full”. That being the case there are a limited number of options available, the HGV area being one. Others are drive further on the motorway to the next service area, or leave the motorway and find somewhere else to park up. On a long journey we’ve always opted for the HGV area if caravan spots are full, as it allowed my to keep driving stints reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Norfolk
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did actually say “ if the caravan/ motorhome parking is full”. That being the case there are a limited number of options available, the HGV area being one. Others are drive further on the motorway to the next service area, or leave the motorway and find somewhere else to park up. On a long journey we’ve always opted for the HGV area if caravan spots are full, as it allowed my to keep driving stints reasonable.
We have been lucky as never come across the situation where the caravan parking is full, but then never travel during peak periods.

Reactions: Dustydog
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
The caravan parking at Cardiff West is big enough for 4 campers. Then you are in to the Coaches Only bit.
I don't bother stopping as it's always full.

1000009822.png

Just to add Cardiff Gate is worse you are in with the HGV and have to reverse into a bay between the HGVs guaranteed to make you fluff it.

Last edited:

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Wetherby is always tight on caravan spaces as it serves both sides of the motorway.

Though as a plus they often have a guy on patrol who moves on folk who shouldn't be in the caravan spaces.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have been lucky as never come across the situation where the caravan parking is full, but then never travel during peak periods.

The caravan parking at Cardiff West is big enough for 4 campers. Then you are in to the Coaches Only bit.
I don't bother stopping as it's always full.

View attachment 6863

Just to add Cardiff Gate is worse you are in with the HGV and have to reverse into a bay between the HGVs guaranteed to make you fluff it.
I understand that you can receive an “ invoice” for parking in coach bays. I would never do that as the coach drivers have schedules, passengers to let off/on and may be acting as a transfer hub for passengers to change coaches and transfer luggage. There are only a limited number of coach bays so I would not even consider parking a caravan in them.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Question for the OP
How long can you drive without needing a break?

Assume you are driving Worcester to Torquay , Taunton Deane Services is reached after 1 hr 50 min (105.5 mi) via M5. May be a bit longer towing. That’s two thirds of your journey.

Never had a problem at Taunton Deane but admittedly never tow South West on a Saturday or bank holiday!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts