service

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
For the attention of DustyDog.
I say old fellow nice offer for the dogs and all that decent sort of chappy .
I did post a reply but it looks as tho it has fell orf the end of the table.
£294 I say ,Ive had to sell off some of the family silver to pay for it and not only that two of the maids form Buggram Hall didnt get paid either.
Got o to pop of now see if I can get a a sub off that Braykewynde fellow.
Toodle Pip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings and salutations Sir Roger,

If you were "quoted one figure but charged another then I think you have been had!

There are specific and different meanings between the words "Quote" and "Estimate", and I do wonder if you have mixed them up?

If you ask a trades person how much a simple and well defined job will cost, they will usually give you a "quote" and if you agree to it that is all you are obliged to pay. The quote should include (unless specifically excluded) materials, parts and labour.

Some jobs are more complex and the exact amount of materials parts or labour may not be so easily predictable, and in such cases the trades person will offer an "estimate" It is generally accepted that and estimate normally allows for up to about a 10% variation in the end cost, However if a job in progress looks to be going over 10% it is normally accepted the trades person will seek permission of the owner before incurring extra costs.

Where A job is seen to be highly unpredictable, the trades person must make it clear to the owner the unpredictability of the work as part of the estimate. The contract must include guidance on how over/under-spends are to be managed and agreed.

Some garages around me are offering "fixed price car servicing" but reading the small print it adds "plus materials and parts" which for some engine oils and brake linings can be quite surprising expensive.

God Bless the Queen.

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Greetings and salutations Sir Roger,

If you were "quoted one figure but charged another then I think you have been had! etc etc
Nice reply but Sir Roger doesn't say he had been quoted anything, the £248 mentioned was the OPs bill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bezzer

Ooops Your right,

However whilst the advice may not have been approporiate in this case, its still correct and may help someone.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
got a 3 year service plan for are bailey gt60 510/4 from greentree in dereham for £55o where the van come from is about £184 a year not to bad i hop for a full service
happy caravaning for this year all the best the chipps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Coachman Amara 2009 model. Last year we had the caravan serviced at the dealership where we bought it from in Oxfordshire. This year we have just had it serviced for around £180. The dealership charged just over £200 in 2010. We chose an NCC mobile mechanic who is brilliant. Also, just as I took him a cup of tea he was just about to take the wheels off, he found two coloured paintwork blobs on the "one shot bolts", he explained that these are fitted and marked at the factory, and they should have been removed and changed during the March 2010 service at the dealership. This would imply that the dealership hadn't even taken the wheels off during the service. Fortunately, we didn't have any problems in 2010 but we will never take a caravan back to a dealership for a service, perhaps they are so busy trying to sell caravans they have little time for after sales service.

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The red marker paste should be put on the one shot nut after it has been torqued correctly (290nm) everytime that the nut is changed. This paste must be Alko approved paste which is a specific red.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our supplying dealership which is 100 miles from where we live charged us an eye watering £250 including 'consumables' for the annual service on our twin axle Abbey 620.
Last October we contacted a local NCC Approved Mobile Workshop (Ruiton Caravan Services, Dudley) sevice engineer who carried out a full annual service including the damp test & report, brake check (where he swapped the road wheels around) which we were 100% happy with.
He did the service on our front drive and he charged us £160 including the aforementioned 'consumables'. it's a no brainer for us, the local guy will have our future custom
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The variance in cost is phenomenal !
Sir Roger I think that I went to book my T/A into the dealer you mention (as I live in Daventry) - they quoted me £273.60
Last year at my supplying dealer they charged me £139 so even with fuel costs and travelling time this seemed like a no brainer - when I went to book this year the basic service had risen to £180 (even with the VAT increase and inflation this seemed high) but as I need it to keep the warranty alive it is currently in being done.
One interesting point was that despite the high quote near Daventry I asked "how soon could you fit me in" (just so I could make a balanced decision) - answer was "This week if you want" - I wonder why, it couldn't be due to the price could it ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts