Servicing

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Good Morning all,

What is your views on servicing, i have a 2015 swift which i bought just over a year ago, had full history and i got it serviced last October also.

I actually service all our own vehicles and i am handy with the spanners, i regularly check the caravan before and after trips paying attention to tyres , pressures ,electrics etc .

So my question is with me being vigilante regarding looking after my caravan would it be so bad to have a full service done by the engineer every second year , leaving me to take care of the small repairs and checks as i normally do..

👍

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I could not advice you i always take mine to my caravan repairer for service and repairs someone on here will answer your question better than me :)

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Do you check the gas appliances and perhaps do a gas prssure check? Can we assume that you use a damp meter. Some insurance companies insist that the caravan should be serviced regularly so you are complying. I think otherwise that your service regime is okay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some insurances and storage ask for an annual service so that’s one aspect you could check out. Without knowing what aspects of the caravan you intend to service yourself and how competent you are it’s not an easy question to answer. But in theory it should be a suitable arrangement and caravan usage will obviously be a factor in your decision.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Gas checks no but damp meter yes, what got me thinking about every second year was the fact that do some people even do these checks on the household apliances which gets used way more then our caravans,
I think that the recommendation is that the gas appliances should be serviced at least once every 3 years. However I think gas pressure check is recommended every year at servicing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that the recommendation is that the gas appliances should be serviced at least once every 3 years. However I think gas pressure check is recommended every year at servicing.
I wonder how many owners have their gas appliances serviced every three years or at all? I think a lot will believe that it's included within the normal service schedule. Also fora new van failure to have items serviced could affect the items warranty too.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I wonder how many owners have their gas appliances serviced every three years or at all? I think a lot will believe that it's included within the normal service schedule. Also fora new van failure to have items serviced could affect the items warranty too.

An AWS "service" doesn't service very much - habitation equipment and optional equipment like motor movers aren't serviced, at best just a safety check - which is an expensive way not to get appliances serviced!

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately we fall into that category as in all the time we have owned caravans we have only had it done once at the 3 year interval. The charge extra for that service.
AWS or dealer, the electric test is switching on and off switches to make sure they work and water is opening the tap. If an electrical socket has been arcing and there is a build up of carbon, they would not know as no resistance test is done. As we all know this can lead to a fire onboard, but would the technician be at fault?
The only real servicing is done on the running gear and changing the nuts. Given that many caravans have probably done a lot less than 1000 miles since the last service, it almost seems a waste of money paying for the service.
Since the last service we have done approximately 660 miles and cannot see us doing another 400 before its next service although between now and then we will be out and about, but within an hour of home.
Most cars only only require a service every 12000 miles!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately we fall into that category as in all the time we have owned caravans we have only had it done once at the 3 year interval. The charge extra for that service.
AWS or dealer, the electric test is switching on and off switches to make sure they work and water is opening the tap. If an electrical socket has been arcing and there is a build up of carbon, they would not know as no resistance test is done. As we all know this can lead to a fire onboard, but would the technician be at fault?
The only real servicing is done on the running gear and changing the nuts. Given that many caravans have probably done a lot less than 1000 miles since the last service, it almost seems a waste of money paying for the service.
Since the last service we have done approximately 660 miles and cannot see us doing another 400 before its next service although between now and then we will be out and about, but within an hour of home.
Most cars only only require a service every 12000 miles!
With many at 20,000 miles and a handful at 30,000

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
If there is a bodywork warranty (damp) then an AWS service annually is a requirement. However, I believe that the AWS service is really a waste of money and achieves very little. A damp test can be carried out by anyone with a meter. Alko do not recommend annual stripping/cleaning brakes, and checking adjusting brakes is a simple job which many could easily do. Lubricating the steadies (especially the way AWS do it) is a 10 min job. The gas test can be done quite simply with a cheap manometer, and you do not need to be qualified for your own caravan. The remaining items on the AWS list are really simple little checks. Withdrawing the spare wheel carrier is "challenging" and therefore often not done by AWS. Checking cleaning and lubricating motor mover is not done by AWS, but it needs doing and most DIYers could do it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If there is a bodywork warranty (damp) then an AWS service annually is a requirement. However, I believe that the AWS service is really a waste of money and achieves very little. A damp test can be carried out by anyone with a meter. Alko do not recommend annual stripping/cleaning brakes, and checking adjusting brakes is a simple job which many could easily do. Lubricating the steadies (especially the way AWS do it) is a 10 min job. The gas test can be done quite simply with a cheap manometer, and you do not need to be qualified for your own caravan. The remaining items on the AWS list are really simple little checks. Withdrawing the spare wheel carrier is "challenging" and therefore often not done by AWS. Checking cleaning and lubricating motor mover is not done by AWS, but it needs doing and most DIYers could do it.
Re gas work, whilst what you say is true, under the law you have a responsibility such that if because of your work you cause damage or injury/ death to others you are liable in law. under the Gas Safety ( installation and use) Regulations 1998 update 2018. There is a set dealing specifically with caravans, leisure vehicles, statics etc. Primarily though not for private use by the owner.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Whilst I am very good mechanically and have some modicum of knowledge, I know I am neither skilled nor qualified to deal with gas, and therefore would always have my caravan serviced by somebody that was. Every year we hear of tragedies with caravan fires, its just not worth the risk.

Not too many years ago, my brother-in-law, a guy that gave the name to village idiots decided to service his own gas boiler and put himself, his wife and daughter in hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, and all were extremely lucky to survive.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We always have our caravans serviced every year. Your safety relies on many parts being in good working order and we would not want to trust to luck.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Don't get me wrong on this one, i really don't mind the cost , its just i really hate the fact that if i can do it and i enjoy doing it why can't i . As with servicing my cars i feel i can give that extra bit care and attention that others perhaps wouldn't .

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With our last van, I paid about £70 to have a yearly damp report and gas check only. I serviced all the running gear and general checks myself,didn’t see the point in paying someone to tell me the lights worked and tyre pressure good.
Now we’ve got a new van it will go back to dealer for annual service just for warranty purposes, anything extra I will sort myself.
So to answer your original question, if you’re handy enough and confident do it yourself and get a gas check if required.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t know of any insurance or storage that require servicing as part of their contract. If they did I would not use them.

Also, I don’t know of any legislation or recommendation to have domestic gas appliances or gas system checked in the home, (except for landlords). But it is normal for a leak test to be done when having an annual gas service. Or when having an engineer making any alterations or additions to the system.

Knowing that the circuit in the van is sound, checked yearly at the service, suits me. I trust that anything else will manifest itself as a fault.

Essentially, the mains circuit in the van is the same as at home. So I treat it the same way. The vulnerable part, the hook up lead, is checked. And I think the speed of the safety control units are also checked at the service. And most likely earth bonding.

I now have AWS services, first to keep up the warrantee, and now to maintain value. But also because I am too old to do it now. But before I felt those needs for a service, I managed to do my own without a problem. As I did with my cars.

For the last two, possibly three years, my service technician has not used a damp meter. This is (he tells me), in line with the procedural advice from the NCC, for my make of van. Strange, as Lunars are a conventional construction. He has quality invasive and non invasive testers, and does do a double check, but mainly it is visual and touch.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
An issue with damp needs an annual damp test, not an annual AWS service - a damp test on its own is about a quarter of the price of a service - of course it's usually a warranty requirement that a full AWS service is done annually.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don’t know of any insurance or storage that require servicing as part of their contract. If they did I would not use them.

Also, I don’t know of any legislation or recommendation to have domestic gas appliances or gas system checked in the home, (except for landlords). But it is normal for a leak test to be done when having an annual gas service. Or when having an engineer making any alterations or additions to the system.

Knowing that the circuit in the van is sound, checked yearly at the service, suits me. I trust that anything else will manifest itself as a fault.

Essentially, the mains circuit in the van is the same as at home. So I treat it the same way. The vulnerable part, the hook up lead, is checked. And I think the speed of the safety control units are also checked at the service. And most likely earth bonding.

I now have AWS services, first to keep up the warrantee, and now to maintain value. But also because I am too old to do it now. But before I felt those needs for a service, I managed to do my own without a problem. As I did with my cars.

For the last two, possibly three years, my service technician has not used a damp meter. This is (he tells me), in line with the procedural advice from the NCC, for my make of van. Strange, as Lunars are a conventional construction. He has quality invasive and non invasive testers, and does do a double check, but mainly it is visual and touch.

John
AFAIK Lunars require damp test using a traditional 2-prong invasive tester as their construction is aluminium/foam/plywood/wallpaper.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Insurance companies normally state "The caravan will be kept in a roadworthy condition" which is fair enough.
However what is the minimum servicing required on a caravan to keep the warranty intact? To my way of thinking, which is not always right, the main criteria to maintain the water ingress warranty would be a damp test.
I am sure I am quite capable of checking if doors can open and shut and whether the water system and electric switches etc are working. Why are the shot nuts replaced at every service? Is it really necessary for the safety of the caravan if the caravan has only done a couple hundred or a couple of thousand miles?
I would think that the running gear only needs to be serviced if you have done several thousand miles with the caravan or once every 3 years and not after only 1000 or 2000 miles.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " However what is the minimum servicing required on a caravan to keep the warranty intact? "

From the Bailey Warranty conditions:?

In order to protect your investment and to maintain the warranty policy, you must have your caravan or motorhome serviced annually from new. We strongly recommend that you continue to have your vehicle professionally serviced, even after the warranty has expired.

We would always recommend that the servicing of our vehicles is carried out by an Approved Bailey Retailer or an Approved Bailey Service Centre. You can find your nearest by searching for an Approved Bailey Retailer or Approved Bailey Service Centre. However we will also accept services completed by an NCC approved workshop.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the update. However CRA 2015 over rides any warranty offered by any manufacturer. After 3 years I would think that servicing the running gear and doing a damp check is more than sufficient to keep any warranty intact.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
AFAIK Lunars require damp test using a traditional 2-prong invasive tester as their construction is aluminium/foam/plywood/wallpaper.

I repeat, according to my AWS engineer, current NCC procedure only require a visual and sensory survey. I would tend to agree with you though. Logiclally, a metre test might be best. Even if only to satisfy the customer by showing percentage readings.

I have attempted to research this in the past. But can find no confirmation. I think that advice to engineers may not be available to users.

Or, it might be, that either my engineer follows the rules and others may not. Or, he has got it wrong!

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update. However CRA 2015 over rides any warranty offered by any manufacturer. After 3 years I would think that servicing the running gear and doing a damp check is more than sufficient to keep any warranty intact.
The warranty is additional to CRA rights - the manufacturer can impose whatever servicing requirement for the warranty that they like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts