Servicing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The warranty is additional to CRA rights - the manufacturer can impose whatever servicing requirement for the warranty that they like.
True but surely it does not matter one iota as CRA 2015 still over rides any warranty offer by the manufacturer. Isn't the warranty between the manufacturer and the dealership as the consumer cannot claim from the manufacturer fro a reapir not even damp ingress?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
True but surely it does not matter one iota as CRA 2015 still over rides any warranty offer by the manufacturer. Isn't the warranty between the manufacturer and the dealership as the consumer cannot claim from the manufacturer fro a reapir not even damp ingress?
The warranty gives more than CRA 2015, it cannot give less so I don't understand the concept of "over-ride" - to exercise rights under CRA 2015 the owner would need to show they'd taken reasonable care of the caravan, which could include DIY servicing, but that cannot be imposed on the warranty terms.

I pay for 5-years approved servicing to keep the 6-year warranty intact - I regard it as part of the initial cost of buying a caravan - personally I regard the warranty period as the "snagging" time and then hopefully get many years of trouble-free caravanning once the warranty has expired.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The warranty gives more than CRA 2015, it cannot give less so I don't understand the concept of "over-ride" - to exercise rights under CRA 2015 the owner would need to show they'd taken reasonable care of the caravan, which could include DIY servicing, but that cannot be imposed on the warranty terms.

I pay for 5-years approved servicing to keep the 6-year warranty intact - I regard it as part of the initial cost of buying a caravan - personally I regard the warranty period as the "snagging" time and then hopefully get many years of trouble-free caravanning once the warranty has expired.

I guess what I was trying to say is that with CRA 2015 a warranty is not recognised probably because a warranty is between supplier and manufacturer in many cases and not between consumer and manufacturer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ultimately no Warranty or guarantee from a manufacturer can modify your Common Law Rights or Statutory Instruments Rights under the CRA 2015.
However things like the 6 year water ingress guarantee (warranty) are given by the manufacturer and are subject to some very strict criteria on “servicing”. A guarantee and warranty are not the same but over the years some corruption on their meaning has been introduced by the makers. IMO it would be very fool hardy not to fully comply with the makers requirements for their warranty. CRA has some strict time limits. say you have serious water ingress in year 5 you may have to prove there was an inherent latent defect present at point of sale. Me, I will hedge my bets and make the best use of all warranties, guarantees, CRAs etc .Better
safe than sorry😉😉😉

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
To comply with the water ingress warranties, there really ought to be no need for the servicing side, a fairer solution would be an annual inspection and it ought then to be left to the customer to decide on a full service. Not that I am decrying the full service, I would always have an annual one whether complying with the warranty or not.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To comply with the water ingress warranties, there really ought to be no need for the servicing side, a fairer solution would be an annual inspection and it ought then to be left to the customer to decide on a full service. Not that I am decrying the full service, I would always have an annual one whether complying with the warranty or not.
Servicing probably does not pick up damp ingress in most cases however a damp should pick up water ingress. As you say is there any real need for paying mega bucks for a service when only a damp check is required?
I am the first to admit that for safety reasons we have our caravan serviced annually anyway however the gas service is done infrequently although it should be part of the service depending on usage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Servicing probably does not pick up damp ingress in most cases however a damp should pick up water ingress. As you say is there any real need for paying mega bucks for a service when only a damp check is required?
I am the first to admit that for safety reasons we have our caravan serviced annually anyway however the gas service is done infrequently although it should be part of the service depending on usage.

All of the services that I had carried out included a full damp survey with findings recorded on a survey record sheet. I’m puzzled as to why you think a service wouldn’t pick up damp ingress.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All of the services that I had carried out included a full damp survey with findings recorded on a survey record sheet. I’m puzzled as to why you think a service wouldn’t pick up damp ingress.
Excuse my poor grammar as sometimes I am not good at putting things across. What I mean is that the damp check is a separate entity and can be done as a stand alone job with no need to do an actual service, i.e.running gear and checking water, electric and gas systems. The damp check alone should be enough to maintain the warranty.
Just to add I have always been of the opinion that damp ingress is an inherent fault that was there from day one due to poor manufacture, poor design or lack of PDI in the case of a new caravan.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Excuse my poor grammar as sometimes I am not good at putting things across. What I mean is that the damp check is a separate entity and can be done as a stand alone job with no need to do an actual service, i.e.running gear and checking water, electric and gas systems. The damp check alone should be enough to maintain the warranty.
Just to add I have always been of the opinion that damp ingress is an inherent fault that was there from day one due to poor manufacture, poor design or lack of PDI in the case of a new caravan.

Damp test OK, but what about other issues that a service might find that a damp test does not? Things such as brake/wheel bearing wear or cracking, chassis cracks (oh yes they do), etc etc.
It might cost me £200 a year but IMO it is worth it for the safety alone.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Damp test OK, but what about other issues that a service might find that a damp test does not? Things such as brake/wheel bearing wear or cracking, chassis cracks (oh yes they do), etc etc.
Alko do not recommend annual servicing, but adjustment etc as required. NCC service does not include a structural inspection of the chassis, or wheel bearings. What are the etc etc items you mention?

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As said we have ours done annually. How will things like faulty brake and wheel bearing wear affect the warranty? Never heard or read of a chassis cracking? I think if anyone tried a claim for a crack in chassis, they would have a really hard time. I am not against annual servicing, just querying if it is really necessary to maintain the warranty. Bi-annual should be more than sufficient taking into account the mileage that a caravan does in the space of 12 months.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update. However CRA 2015 over rides any warranty offered by any manufacturer. After 3 years I would think that servicing the running gear and doing a damp check is more than sufficient to keep any warranty intact.
The CRA and manufacturers warranty are entirely different and separate processes. Neither can override the over as they are not the same in any respect.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Getting back to Frasbe's question, this year I asked the Mechanic If he would only do a habitation check and not bother with the Brakes, as we have only done about 500 miles, he was happy saved me £50, and stamped my Service book with Habitation check done. I am happy with that.
If I was buying the said caravan and someone had stamps for Bi annual servicing, I would look at damp reports and if all were good then a sale could be done.
I know a forum member that always does his own servicing, why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fraseb01
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
After all the info supplied i think bi annual servicing is the way i will go, I would not and do not take risks, if things need done in-between the Bi annual service i will sort them or get my engineer to sort them out.

This is a great platform and i appreciate all the response.

Roll on Saturday I away for a week to Grantown on Spey . first full weeks Holiday this Years .(y):)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As said we have ours done annually. How will things like faulty brake and wheel bearing wear affect the warranty? Never heard or read of a chassis cracking? I think if anyone tried a claim for a crack in chassis, they would have a really hard time. I am not against annual servicing, just querying if it is really necessary to maintain the warranty. Bi-annual should be more than sufficient taking into account the mileage that a caravan does in the space of 12 months.
Chassis cracking does occur, mainly on long twin axle models, usually due to abuse or towing with the likes of a transit pick up.
The old twin axle Trophy models with the aluminium chassis had a habit of doing this, but any suspect models of them will be long gone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Chassis cracking does occur, mainly on long twin axle models, usually due to abuse or towing with the likes of a transit pick up.
The old twin axle Trophy models with the aluminium chassis had a habit of doing this, but any suspect models of them will be long gone.
Dealers and manufacturers tow using pickups. Seen it on many occasions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts