Shifta battery

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Mr Shifta which we bought mostly for moving the van around at home, now that the children have left and we two oldies have to do all the pushing on our own. However, we are beginning to think that it might be quite handy to have with us when we go away. With an on-board battery, it is pretty heavy, so we wondered about leaving the battery at home and taking the caravan battery from its locker for a short while when needed to power the Shifta (we have a 110amp battery for the caravan). Has anyone tried this, or have any views on how practical it is?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chrissie, I can seee the attraction I just wonder how practical it is. I would think you need it most when the ground is soft, will the shifta cope? What about pulling onto levellers? Would it not be better to get the car to do the work? Caravanners are supposed to be friendly cant you ask for a bit of help?

I guess at the end of the day its up to you and the type of sites you go to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, Ray, that's exactly why we haven't tried it before - there have always been people around willing to lend a hand. But now that we are beginning to be able to go away a bit out of peak times, there are not necessarily other people around. We have also stayed on a few sites lately where it has been quite tricky positioning the van between trees etc, and thought the Mr Shifta might have made this easier. It was really just the issue of whether the one battery was able to do both jobs that concerned us. As other movers seem to operate from caravan batteries without any problem, we felt fairly confident that this would not be a problem, but just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, Ray, that's exactly why we haven't tried it before - there have always been people around willing to lend a hand. But now that we are beginning to be able to go away a bit out of peak times, there are not necessarily other people around. We have also stayed on a few sites lately where it has been quite tricky positioning the van between trees etc, and thought the Mr Shifta might have made this easier. It was really just the issue of whether the one battery was able to do both jobs that concerned us. As other movers seem to operate from caravan batteries without any problem, we felt fairly confident that this would not be a problem, but just wondered if anyone had tried it.
Chrissie, Sorry if I knocked your idea, I didn't mean to. Yes there is no problem using the battery from the van. I have a powrwheel and use the van battery when moving it at home.I have a lead with a plug that connects to the 12S plug which feeds 12v with -v on pin 2 and +ve on pin 4 from the van to the mover. If you have a different control system that somehow blocks this you should be able to make up a lead that will allow you to connect your shifta to the van battery without removing it. Ray

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cannot see a problem with your idea. just make sure your battery is fully charged, and apart from the messing about taking the battery from the van, and replacing it after use, there shoul dbe no problems, as long as the shifter can accomodate the size of battery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chrissie,

The 110Ah caravan battery should capable of doing both jobs. Whilst the mover will use quite allot of current, you will usually only need it for a few seconds.

Ray actually alludes to an important point. Movers that fit to the "A" frame suffer from poor traction on slopes or on soft/slippery surfaces, and can quite easily begin to skid, either the driven wheel spins and the caravan stays still, or worse, the caravan continues to move but the tractor cannot stop it or redirect where you want it to go.

I urge caution when using A frame models, be acutely aware of slopes and poor surfaces.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your reassurance. We could not see any good reason why this would not work, but being cautious types, thought we would run it past the experts here first. We are not keen to run a lead from the battery to the mover, simply because we think the weight of the battery near to the ground must help with traction.

We have always taken into account the factors you mention, John L, but as we have in the past managed to damage the van when maneouvering it with the car, and were likley to do even greater damage to ourselves when trying to push it, the balance came down well in favour of the solution we have arrived at! (Even chassis mounted movers do not seem to be without problems, if the reports we have read are correct, and in any case are beyond our present budget).

Thanks everyone - perhaps we will give it a try this weekend.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi chrissie

i have done what you are asking. if you get a piece of wood 8x2ins drill two holes 1/2 in press two copper pipe fittings into them ,solder two suitable size cables to them with connectors on the other connect to battery clamps when not in use i cover the copper fittings with walking stick rubbers.have had no problems since,you can use a smaller piece of wood just make sure the croc clips of the mover dont touch

bill

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
hi chrissie

i have done what you are asking. if you get a piece of wood 8x2ins drill two holes 1/2 in press two copper pipe fittings into them ,solder two suitable size cables to them with connectors on the other connect to battery clamps when not in use i cover the copper fittings with walking stick rubbers.have had no problems since,you can use a smaller piece of wood just make sure the croc clips of the mover dont touch

bill
Chrissie,

Might be simpler/easier to use your CAR battery....

Am no expert on Mr Shifta but I think I read somewhere that it uses a traction battery (car) not a leisure battery (caravan).

By the way I fitted a Powertouch two years ago and cannot praise it enough. It gets my van up a right angle slope at my home that I could never reverse into safely with no problems and I can manoeuvre in or out of any tight pitch and into my storage position. I even turned the van around 180 deg in the road at Upton on Severn bridge once and we consider it a big asset. It will also crawl in or out of any boggy pitch that using a tow car could create much damage. Also 5 years guarantee!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts