Shiny sink

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Can anyone advise me on what to use to clean the sink in the kitchen area. It has got badly stained and I don't want to use anything that might damage the finish. The sink is chrome/ SS. I was going to use a weak bleach solution but will that damage the pipes when it drains. Any help appreciated. Denise

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A solution of bleach will be fine and not do any damage to the pipes, after all, it is stored in plastic containers!

Beware of using Milton on sinks, NEVER allow undiluted Milton to come into contact with metal , it will eat into it!!it is a very strong product, which has to be used with extreme care, as far as stainless steel sinks go.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Denise, Have you tried a soapy brillo, I use this on my stainless steel sink at home, tea stains etc. My van is plastic so I use diluted bleach. Just a thought. Liz

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Denise, Have you tried a soapy brillo, I use this on my stainless steel sink at home, tea stains etc. My van is plastic so I use diluted bleach. Just a thought. Liz
Hi Liz, won't a brillo scratch the metal. It is mainly tea/coffee stains that look awful. I'll try the weak bleach first. Thanks everyone Denise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could you try an old-fashioned method - screw up a ball of newspaper and 'scrub' the sink with that. I hope that works on yours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could you try an old-fashioned method - screw up a ball of newspaper and 'scrub' the sink with that. I hope that works on yours.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The active ingredient of Bleach is Chlorine and that attacks and pits Stainless Steel very aggressively. Try rubbing with a bit of 3M's green Scotch pad on a bad bit and see how it works. Once its back nice then the usual advice is to keep it oiled with just a smear of Johnson's Baby oil.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
JTQ

"The active ingredient of Bleach is Chlorine and that attacks and pits Stainless Steel very aggressively"

No - the active ingredient of bleach is Oxygen - the active ingredient Sodium Oxychloride breaks down into Oxygen and Sodium Chloride (Table Salt)

Chlorine is only released if you make the bleach solution very acidic - like mixing it with Limescale Descaler - and that kills a few people each year.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts