Shock absorber replacement.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our 1996 Toyota Corolla with 115k on the last MOT last week states Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect. When travelling on our rural roads can definitely hear the thudding from the shock. We always replace them in pairs as that is recommended.

Strangely the Jeep Grand Cherokee with 62k on the clock at last MOT last yea rin Oct states Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect. Bilstein which are recommended are eye watering price as they need to be for Jeep with self levelling.

Why is it that with both vehicles it is the nearside shock absorbers or is it just coincidence? Toyota replacement shocks TRW are small change in comparison to the cost of the Jeep shock absorbers and can be done now. Want to replace the Jeep shocks sometime during the winter when we are not towing.

PS Vehicles were done at totally different MOT stations in different towns.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 1996 Toyota Corolla with 115k on the last MOT last week states Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect. When travelling on our rural roads can definitely hear the thudding from the shock. We always replace them in pairs as that is recommended.

Strangely the Jeep Grand Cherokee with 62k on the clock at last MOT last yea rin Oct states Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect. Bilstein which are recommended are eye watering price as they need to be for Jeep with self levelling.

Why is it that with both vehicles it is the nearside shock absorbers or is it just coincidence? Toyota replacement shocks TRW are small change in comparison to the cost of the Jeep shock absorbers and can be done now. Want to replace the Jeep shocks sometime during the winter when we are not towing.

Try checking Pedders for shocks. They are Australian and very well regarded. Pedders have a UK center. I fitted them to my Pajero along with lift springs. The difference was chalk and cheese compared to OEM. I’ve hit them listed as replacement to the Subaru should it need them doing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Try checking Pedders for shocks. They are Australian and very well regarded. Pedders have a UK center. I fitted them to my Pajero along with lift springs. The difference was chalk and cheese compared to OEM. I’ve hit them listed as replacement to the Subaru should it need them doing.
Sadly no stock at Pedders. A bit more expensive than the similar Bilstein.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sadly no stock at Pedders. A bit more expensive than the similar Bilstein.
Quality of Pedders is well regraded but Bilstein have a good reputation too. If my combined sprints/shocks give problems I will replace with Pedders. My combination units have hydraulic self levelling within the shock absorber that takes some of the load sharing it with the spring. Accordingly the springs are nor rated for full load. By going to Pedders the springs would take full load, and the shocks would be conventional and not self levelling. But the HID motorised headlights would not be affected as they have their input sensors seperate from the spring/ shock assembly.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

Its because we drive on the left. When going round an island there is much more load on the nearside than the offside so ultimately the nearside suspension gets more hammer.

If you ever see the stretched US limos - often based on a Humvee - they actually have stronger suspension fitted on the (UK) nearside to overcome this very problem.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And always seems most of the pot holes and traffic calming humps hit the N/S. Not ideal but may be financially advantageous to look at replacement from a breakers

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes replace in pairs. Our old Vectra had one go and the dealer said you only need one. They did this and the other went soon after.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes replace in pairs. Our old Vectra had one go and the dealer said you only need one. They did this and the other went soon after.
Our Vectra, 3.0 diesel was the same, one day great Next day handled like a pig, both rear dampers, shot, No big leakage, must have just been, enough oil to work , next day gone, fairly clean as well, maybe internal problem.
Lovely tow car, Isuzzu, 3.0 V 6 engine.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our Vectra, 3.0 diesel was the same, one day great Next day handled like a pig, both rear dampers, shot, No big leakage, must have just been, enough oil to work , next day gone, fairly clean as well, maybe internal problem.
Lovely tow car, Isuzzu, 3.0 V 6 engine.
That Isuzu 3.0 diesel didn't have a good reputation - not that that alternative Fiat 2.0 diesel was any better though. GM/Vauxhall don't have a great record with diesels from any manufacturer, the BMW 2.5 diesel in the Omega was unreliable when abused by fleet drivers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That Isuzu 3.0 diesel didn't have a good reputation - not that that alternative Fiat 2.0 diesel was any better though. GM/Vauxhall don't have a great record with diesels from any manufacturer, the BMW 2.5 diesel in the Omega was unreliable when abused by fleet drivers.
As in the words of someone else, I will agree with that. My Vectra 2.2 diesel, had fuel control problems at 60k miles and the same with the 3.0 Isuzzu unit, fuel control problems at 60k, got rid of it, and went for my first Santa Fe.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As in the words of someone else, I will agree with that. My Vectra 2.2 diesel, had fuel control problems at 60k miles and the same with the 3.0 Isuzzu unit, fuel control problems at 60k, got rid of it, and went for my first Santa Fe.
Hyundai do a 3.0 V6 turbo-diesel, the S-series which is based on the 2.2 R-series in Santa Fe and Sorento, but they don't sell it in the UK.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Lounge suite purchase put on hold as having Toyota done first. I will do the Jeep after it has had its MOT. With a bit of luck, the shocks may be a fail. :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts