Shock absorbers

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi
New to this forum, looks good lot's of info & this is my first post.
I have a new Adria Adora Isonzo 613 DT with an Alko delta chassis single axle & wish to fit shock absorbers to it, has anyone fitted or had shock absorbers fitted to this van, I assume some British caravans have the same axle's installed ? any help would be appreciated.
cheers
Billyw.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BillyW said:
Hi
New to this forum, looks good lot's of info & this is my first post.
I have a new Adria Adora Isonzo 613 DT with an Alko delta chassis single axle & wish to fit shock absorbers to it, has anyone fitted or had shock absorbers fitted to this van, I assume some British caravans have the same axle's installed ? any help would be appreciated.
cheers
Billyw.

I fitted Alko dampers to my caravan about 12 months ago. I did it because the caravans axle rubber bushes failed on one side. The Alko dampers are easy to fit and come in different ranges to suit the MTPLM of the caravan. I does seem to tow a bit better than before but it wasn't a problem anyway so perhaps theres placebo effect. The basic Alko rubber bush suspension isn't very good and the dampers will not work as well as those on a car, but I felt at £90 approx if they mitagetd some of the road shocks from our poor roads it may save a new axle at more than 10 times that cost.

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your quick reply, agree with what your saying I want to fit them to assist the poor suspension rubbers may also help with stability but that's just a maybe. May I ask where you purchased your shockers? thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Homestead Caravans. Currently £85 inc postage. Several suppliers on Amazon and EBay all quite a bit cheaper than Alko shop. Make sure you get correct load-colour units and don’t be tempted to upgrade the load specification otherwise they will be too hard and nit work as designed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BillyW said:
Hi
Thanks for your quick reply, agree with what your saying I want to fit them to assist the poor suspension rubbers may also help with stability but that's just a maybe. May I ask where you purchased your shockers? thanks
e

Hello Billy
Welcome to the forum.

It seems to be generally accepted that fitting dampers does help to reduce some of the effect that shock impacts our present roads can impose. This has to be beneficial to the longevity of the caravan.

However I feel I need to advise that fitting dampers is not a substitute for correct loading to raise the instability threshold as high as possible.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
I fitted Alko dampers to my caravan about 12 months ago... It does seem to tow a bit better than before but it wasn't a problem anyway so perhaps theres placebo effect. The basic Alko rubber bush suspension isn't very good and the dampers will not work as well as those on a car, but I felt at £90 approx if they mitagetd some of the road shocks from our poor roads it may save a new axle at more than 10 times that cost.

As per OtherClive's post I also had the dampers fitted to my Single Axle caravan and I have had the same reaction to their fitment. Caravan was about 6 months old at time of fitting, so Axle was nearly new; had some trim come loose inside after a tricky tow round Scotland. The fitment of dampers sadly did not prevent the trim panel from falling off again (it was replaced and screwed-in by dealer) but they seemed to make the caravan more planted and less fidgety. There was no clear measurable difference, but any additional mechanical suspension linkage, must have a positive effect on the towing experience.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If the caravan is new perhaps you should seek advice from your dealer with regard to after sales fitting and check any effect on the warranty?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
audiorob said:
If the caravan is new perhaps you should seek advice from your dealer with regard to after sales fitting and check any effect on the warranty?

If it’s an Alko chassis it will come predrilled for fitting Alko dampers. There won’t be any affect on the warranty. You will find that some lower priced ranges don’t include them whereas the next model range does etc. All you need to watch for is that the correct load dampers are fitted. But that’s not difficult to gauge.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Additionally, there could be a conflict with a "mover" if one is fitted.
Whilst most movers are now designed to be installed on vans with shocks, the precise positioning of the mover might need to be "adjusted". No great issue, but a possible added task.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
You will a pair of RED shock absorbers, long ring spanners - 17 or19mm, can't remember which,) and a torque wrench with an appropriate socket.
You need the long ring spanner to hang on the nut inside the chassis with the ring offset enabling the shaft of the spanner to by-pass the chassis edge lip and such that the other end presses against the ground whilst you are using the torque wrench. It took me about 20 minutes to fit each side. Very easy, lie on you back in front to the wheel and you can reach everything. My caravan had a Powrtouch Evolution manual mover and I had no problem fitting the shocker behind it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
You will a pair of RED shock absorbers, long ring spanners - 17 or19mm, can't remember which,) and a torque wrench with an appropriate socket.
You need the long ring spanner to hang on the nut inside the chassis with the ring offset enabling the shaft of the spanner to by-pass the chassis edge lip and such that the other end presses against the ground whilst you are using the torque wrench. It took me about 20 minutes to fit each side. Very easy, lie on you back in front to the wheel and you can reach everything. My caravan had a Powrtouch Evolution manual mover and I had no problem fitting the shocker behind it.

You should also be able to use a telescopic wheel wrench with 17 or 19 mm socket if you don’t have the ring spanners. Worth a try before spending cash.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They are a very easy fit to the AlKo chassis. I didn't notice any difference in the tow, but at the same time I rebalanced the tyres, which helped with Internal doors not opening so much.

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Well thanks so much for everybody's thoughts & help what a team, will order the red shockers they are for the correct weight of my van & I will also get wheels balanced.
Again thanks for all your help.

Billy w. :) :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rubber suspension is for the most part self damping, however to be so the axel needs be fully loaded and thats where shockers can be of considerable benefit. In my case the axel is rated at 1500kg SWL but van fully loaded is only 1300kg, its the rebound after hitting a bump etc that this excess plus any under loading of the van the shockers will control, so in my case the benefit was quite dramatic! but actual benefit to you depends on your vans axel swl rating and vans mtplm, (swl plates on centre of axel facing back)
For many then, far more benefit may well be gained from getting wheels balanced and making sure correct tyre pressures are used

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Thanks a lot Gary.
Ordered 4 new Alko red octagon shock absorbers from Germany, 2 for my mate 2 for myself, looked at Alko's site easy to fit & ok with motor movers cost £105.76 for the 4 including delivery.
Also took advantage of Pro-tec's £25 off front towing cover £230 - 25 = 205 including delivery brilliant. Will be using a dermal to cut inlet in offside awning rail when weather permits. Mates made a metal templet for the job which will get taped on with plenty of masking just incase we slip.

PS: you don't need the lower bracket's on our Isonzo's for trailing arm. the solid cast trailing arm already has them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts