Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Merry Christmas and happy new year,

I have last week purchased an old Mitsubishi Pajero 1992 J Reg.

2.5 TDi automatic but have not towed the van yet as of the bad weather, so was wondering if any one has towed with one them selves.

The one thing I have noticed is it has large mirrors, would I need my clip on mirrors ?

I forgot to say it is a long wheel base 7 seater but thinking of taking the 2 rear seats out.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Reg and Pat

I tow with the 3.2 DID shogun 07 but also towed with the 2.8 GLX and the 2.5 Turbo diesel Shoguns all were brilliant tow vehicles.

You will still need to use the extended towing mirrors

We are now on our third Shogun the last one l had for 10 years which had done 106000 miles and in that time only had 2 bulbs replaced a broken fuel pipe replaced and the customary twice a year service, that was the 2.8 GLX turbo.

The 2.5 towed the wife's horse box to all the horse shows around where we live for some 3 years before we traded it in for a Maverick, BIG MISTAKE twelve months later back to the 2.8 Shogun.

The Shogun we have now is a 3.2 DID 07 Equippe SWB and have towed all last year with it up to today with no trouble.

Some on this forum say the Shoguns wallow and sound like tractors, l disagree.

Remember this car has won the East African Safari Rally twelve times can't be much wrong with it.

Reg and Pat l think you have made a good choice, now sit back and wait for LR Disco, Range Rover Lovers try and shoot holes in it but remember the only cars you see in the deserts, jungles and Aussie outback are Shoguns and Land Cruisers.

Enjoy it

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Reg and Pat

I tow my t/a Abbey 620 with a 1992 2.5 SWB Pajero automatic.

Make sure that the cam belt has been renewed and that the car is undersealed.

Pajero's need regular engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes, every 6-8000 miles but the filters are readily available from any local motor factors. Don't go to Halfords because they will charge you a small fortune for the filters.

I change the auto transmission fluid every year, if the fluid is dirty and smells burned it needs changing and the fluid is Decron 11.

To be legal you will need the clip on mirrors, I just use the ones with the rubber straps and they give no problems.

You will find a wealth of information on thePajero Owners Club

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Whats happening to the posts on here don't seem to be getting them, last one l can see is 30/12/09, yet post been answered in the new year.

Parksy is it my PC not having problems reading other area's of the forum, just towing and driving safety.

NigelH

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I haven't noticed any answers to this post since mine on 30/12/09 Nigel.

There are some current topics in the Towcars section of the forum, are you sure that you're not confusing the two sections?

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
I ran a mk1 pajero/shogun in Kenya - mega miles, very rough roads, sometimes in think mud for 12 hours at a time. Brilliant cars, very well made. Mk2 (the type you've bought) were just as good.

I didn't think the Mk3 was in quite the same league (not saying its a bad car) so switched to a landcruiser.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Timothy had the mk1 brilliant 4x4, went to a Ford Maverick, piece of junk big mistake, then had the Mk111, had this for ten years 106,000 only servicing costs and fuel pipe failure in that time wonderful car.

Traded it in for 07 DID 3.2 auto beautiful car to drive when l get the chance wife's claimed it, having said that she lost power last week, management system shut the power off, had to crawl home at 20mph.

Called MAP out fixed it in ten minutes breather to turbo blocked, seems its common if when its service the breather is not cleaned, in future will make a point to the service mechanics to clean it, at least the management system did its job.

Tows our Ace Firestar effortlessly, a lot on here say they are like a tractor to drive, father in-law drove HGV's for 40 years, he said they talk through their A--s-.

Get 26 t0 27mph around town 30 + motorways and 22 to 24 towing but can drop to 20 with head winds and country towing, here a lot with Sorrento's and disco's get low 30's l think that's pie in the sky, don't believe it one bit for 2ton +vehicles.

Had the Mitsubishi tow bar fitted was about 150 quid more but didn't invoke the warranty, glad l did has it has a forward setting on the bar to clear the spare wheel by 1" have to be careful when hitching up but l have a mover which cause no problem.

Hope this Shogun is half has good as the other two l will be well happy.

The land cruiser brilliant car but just that to big for the wife, brother in-law had one for a time, he loved it my sister didn't, thought she was driving a hummer.

NigelH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts