Shortening a 25m EHU cable to 10m

May 10, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone know any reason why this cannot be done? I was given a new cable with our new van. I regularly use sites where a 25m is much too long and obviously I would use the 25m when going anywhere new. Thanks in anticipation.

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Creakyknees

There is no reason i can think of, you would then have 2 cables 15 meter and 10 meter. You would just need to make sure you connected the wires to the right terminals in the socket.

Dougie....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We carry a 25m lead and a10m lead after we were on a pitch in France when the 25m was not long enough,so we can now reach 10m,25m,or 35m hook ups. When we arrive on site we just pace out the distance to hook up point and use either 10 or 25 normally.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not? Surely if the connection is safe and water proof then 2 cables can be joined together to make a longer EHU cable? I have a 25m cable that is fine for 95% of sites but just now and again a 10m extension may be needed ie abroad. Have never had any problems with this so surely you are not suggesting one huge lead of 35m upwards? That could possibly be easier to overheat Dustydog??

Simon V

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
On the rare occassions we have an EHU (maybe once a year) it's usually too long but we just lay it out flat along the side of the van and use it like that. I would certainly never join two leads together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its question of good sense,

Its never a good idea to leave any mains cable rolled up whilst its being used a combination of thermal insulation and inductive influences can generate enough heat to melt the cables electrical insulation. So excess length should be laid out. Alternatively uses a shorter cable.

The standard EHU style blue 16A connectors are designed for external electrical connections. They are the defacto solution for power distribution at festivals and outdoor street markets, where cable runs of over 100M is not uncommon, so provided the connectors are attached to the cables properly joining two together should not pose any technical problem. Splitting a 25M into a 10M and 15M with the blue Ceeform connectors should not be problem.

Some caravan sites may have rules about maximum length of EHU cables or joining them - which they are entitled to do.

May 10, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback - informative as ever
smiley-smile.gif

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
You can connect two leads together but the plug and socket ,where they are connected, must be watertight to IP67 because sometimes it rains!
A lead from a caravan accessory shop is fitted with a splash-proof plug and socket to IP44.
Another point to bear in mind is that the longer the lead the higher the volt drop.
Plugs and sockets to IP67 can be purchased from any electrical wholesaler.
Strictly speaking the 240 volt cable, plugs and sockets should all be blue in colour to comply with the BSS but for some reason it has become common practice to use orange (110 volt) cable on caravan sites. The reason for this, I have heard, is because orange can be seen better than electric blue!

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
James H said:
Strictly speaking the 240 volt cable, plugs and sockets should all be blue in colour to comply with the BSS but for some reason it has become common practice to use orange (110 volt) cable on caravan sites. The reason for this, I have heard, is because orange can be seen better than electric blue!

Every 240v caravan cable I have seen has been orange, 110V cables and plugs are yellow and whilst the plugs seen the same, just different colours, they are in fact aligned differently so that you cannot mix them up, a bit like blue and red gas bottles.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hortimech said:
Every 240v caravan cable I have seen has been orange, 110V cables and plugs are yellow and whilst the plugs seen the same, just different colours, they are in fact aligned differently so that you cannot mix them up, a bit like blue and red gas bottles.

caravan EHU cable is orange so it is high visibility and can easily be seen on the ground, it does not have to be I have 2 cables a orange 25mtr one and a black 10mtr one both are the same rated cable,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can join 2 cables together using this type of connector bo
The C &CC advise taking an extension on some continental rallies
This was taken at Malestroit Municipal site where we were advised to plug in in the toilet block
Malestroit007.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Extra extensions are commonplace in Europe, particularly on the more rural and basic sites. This, use, of course, does not necessarily mean they are safe and I've seen plenty that are not. As and when I have to use an extension cable I make sure the 'joint' is contained in a good plastic bag supported in an upright position with both leads coming out of the bottom.
Most European cables seem to be black and sometimes pose a tripping hazzard (in both senses, as they are often contained on the domestic type DIY extension reel holder with minimum ventilation. However, with only a 6 amp supply in many places the potential for overheating is somewhat reduced.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I carry a 25m and a 10m lead. The purpose is not so that I can join them together - although, of course, this could be done, but is rarely necessary. The reason is that 9 times out of ten I find I only need a 10m lead and I am therefore able to use the shorter one without all the hassel of "losing" the excess cable.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
To answer the question - there is no reason why you can't cut a 25 metre lead down to 10 metres if you have a spare one, provided of course that you wire the plug correctly.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I also have a silver coloured armoured lead, it was liberated from a building site. It is a 240 volt ac lead that usually feeds power into portakabins.
If they are up to being driven over by heavy plant, a caravan site should present no problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
whitetop said:
In answer to the OP
Yes you can cut it but why.........just plug in at both ends and thrown the extra under the van.....unwound of course.

Because awssuming you leave th eunwnated part at home, you are saving payload, and possibly nose weight problems.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It used to be the case that site owners had to ensure no pitch was more than 25mtrs from an EHU. With a couple of exceptions I know of , all the CC sites follow this guide line. So a 10 mtr length may not be very useful all the time.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
whitetop said:
In answer to the OP
Yes you can cut it but why.........just plug in at both ends and thrown the extra under the van.....unwound of course.

Because awssuming you leave th eunwnated part at home, you are saving payload, and possibly nose weight problems.
Point taken. But the difference will only be a few Kgs.
If a few Kgs makes the difference, then the match must be right on the limit in the first place.
You can always put the cable in the towing vehicle.
Just MHO...........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Whitetop,
I fully undertand what you write,
Whilst my remark was meant to be slightly flipant, there can be a serious side to it.
Some people are very sensitive to what they tow, (After all every excess KG uses or wastes fuel). and afew Kg may be just what they are looking for.
However there is one area where a few Kg can make all the fifference: I know quite few people keep the EHU cable in teh front locker, and if nose weight is a problem that may make enough of a difference to bring the NW back into range and legal.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
I have 2 EHU cables a cut down 12mtr one and a normal 25mtr one, but only carry one, because of the weight issue,
when we had the motor home I allways carried both "no user payload issues" but found most of the time the 12 mtr one was long enough on most sites,
since changing to a tourer I only take the long one, and the short one is left in the garage as my perminant power supply however on some of the sites we have been to the 12 mtr cable would have been fine,
I don't see the problem carrying a shorter cable if you want one "weight issues aside" as when the box is close to the van it is a better idea than having meters of cable laid out under and around the van.
in sept we are going to a site that has all service pitches for a long weekend, the long cable, and water and waste containers will also be left at home, as I am only taking the service kit with us,

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hi Whitetop,
I fully undertand what you write,
Whilst my remark was meant to be slightly flipant, there can be a serious side to it.
Some people are very sensitive to what they tow, (After all every excess KG uses or wastes fuel). and afew Kg may be just what they are looking for.
However there is one area where a few Kg can make all the fifference: I know quite few people keep the EHU cable in teh front locker, and if nose weight is a problem that may make enough of a difference to bring the NW back into range and legal.
My point is that a 25m cable is, IMO, always a better bet.....just in case.
Cables should never be loaded into a front locker. The gas bottles will, depending on the gas left, be anywhere between 16 and 35kgs.
Gas bottles are a bit hard to store anywhere else but cables and other heavy items are easy.
In my days as a Traffic cop....hence the username....we did lots of checks of caravans. Never found any that were over their max weight, but found plenty that had been loaded badly cusing exceeded NW or axle weights. A bit of common sense is all that is required.
Every caravanner can save a lot more than the weight of 15m of cable by taking ony what they need.

TRENDING THREADS