Should I go or not

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Booked in at Horsley 1/4/for seven days , me fishing most of time , wife doing craftwork etc inside . As we will not be in close contact with anyone feel we are not going to be a problem to others. We are both over eighty and in reasonable health and in last week or so have been checked over for other reasons and found to be o0k. Any thoughts on this?.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello Robert, Is that at Sumners Ponds?
We are in a similar predicament bit for start of April. Not being a Doctor, I would go at the present time as the less contact with crowded people would be best. My wife has COPD so any contact with an infected person could be very bad if not fatal.
Sensible requirements ,No physical greatings, shaking hands etc.

We have a caravan meet up at the start of the month, A Woosie fest. But if the people decide not to come, then that is fine, as we are older we might not mingle as much, and maybe a Saturday night get together would not be the best thing to do. But going away on your own, then I think , I would do that.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We were bound for Bunree in April for three weeks, including a few days on the Outer Hebrides (hotels) but we are strongly thinking that we may not go. Poss still do Bunree, but I wouldnt want to be either taken ill or stuck in such a remote place.

Im still a little tunned at the speed in which this all happened.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve got a booking for eye kettleby, it’s some way off yet but I booked it because there’s a tribute act on that sounds good, obviously things could change dramatically by then but if I was going sooner I would definitely still go, while we are cocooned in our own space in caravan we are as safe as is possible, however as much as I’m looking forward to the show, I’d give the show a miss as I too have COPD and my better half also has health issues, sitting in a bar with lots of other people even at current infectious levels is a deffo no for us, being in the fresh air with a few metres between us and the next outfit is a deffo yes, with all the flights cancelled to lots of holiday destinations there’s going to be lots more people going for staycations this year. Stay safe everyone!!

BP

Reactions: Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
My feeling is that in a caravan we are safer than most. Hotels, lodges and the rest involve using things recently vacted by others and then cleaned by others, which is a risk we can avoid, as is using communal toilets in most cases. We travel in our own tin box and not on public transport so you are probably as safe as anywhere about the same as in your own home when in your caravan.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree Ray. Just returned from Poston Mill and saw very few people. Plenty of rain, some sun and high winds cleared my tubes out! And no hotel aircon re circulating allthose nasty bugs. Thingy I think you will find even the Outer Hebrides has modern medicine and if serious only a short helicopter ride , air ambulance , to Inverness main hospital. Probably less bugs up there than down south in the smoke

Reactions: Hutch

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I would go. No more dangerous than staying at home and shopping.
Also, weather forecast for next week looks promising.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Ok everybody, how about this !, been waiting for 2 years for op on my toes so what came this morning, they will do it on 1st April !!. I do not think so. Going Horsley . watch out Carp I'M COMING.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As of yesterday NW Scotland had no confirmed cases of the virus. So all elderly should migrate there for a longish spell whilst the rest of UK catches it and then develops herd immunity. The only negative being weather and midges.

• Love
Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
We're booked in a cottage, from 28th March, on a farm in the hills just above Betws-y- Coed. Caravan only two berth, take daughter in a cottage.
Pretty remote couple of farm cottages near by. Most probably not going. but will leave till the last minute, before I cancel. May not loose my payment, will not be holding my breath though. :oops:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We're booked in a cottage, from 28th March, on a farm in the hills just above Betws-y- Coed. Caravan only two berth, take daughter in a cottage.
Pretty remote couple of farm cottages near by. Most probably not going. but will leave till the last minute, before I cancel. May not loose my payment, will not be holding my breath though. :oops:
Pretty isolated and Safer than your average supermarket, I would have thought?
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are thinking of booking a static or chalet in the Dordogne for early September. Some great prices and added 2 nights free for 7 booked or 4 for 14. Pitches for caravans and motorhomes only £60 cheaper but ferry and fuel would remove that difference. Deposit £99 with balance 12 weeks prior. Leave ferry booking until things clarify. Mulling it over.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Oc, that sounds like a good plan. We have had some excellent Dordogne trips. Totally love it. We always go with the Gite idea with private pool.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Been thinking about this. If we do try to go abroad the tunnel looks the best bet. Ferries mean lots of people close together, in the tunnel you just stay in your car in the carriage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Been thinking about this. If we do try to go abroad the tunnel looks the best bet. Ferries mean lots of people close together, in the tunnel you just stay in your car in the carriage.

Just stand as far for’d on the upper deck then your bugs drift aft onto others as does the exhaust plume. 🙈

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
.... My wife has COPD so any contact with an infected person could be very bad if not fatal.
Sensible requirements ,No physical greatings, shaking hands etc.

We have a caravan meet up at the start of the month, A Woosie fest. But if the people decide not to come, then that is fine, as we are older we might not mingle as much, and maybe a Saturday night get together would not be the best thing to do.........
Numbers of infected people are increasing here now which means that both Carole and myself face increased risk.
Herself has angina, I have copd, atrial fibrulation (irregular heartbeat) and heart failure so although we're still planning on going to the Woosie meet in early April all being well, we will be keeping a bit of distance and we'll leave the handshakes etc; for next time.
We dont want to take too many chances, the consequences of either of us contracting Covid 19 could be potentially very serious.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Numbers of infected people are increasing here now which means that both Carole and myself face increased risk.
Herself has angina, I have copd, atrial fibrulation (irregular heartbeat) and heart failure so although we're still planning on going to the Woosie meet in early April all being well, we will be keeping a bit of distance and we'll leave the handshakes etc; for next time.
We dont want to take too many chances, the consequences of either of us contracting Covid 19 could be potentially very serious.
We are in the same mind, for the April meet up. For us it might be a last minute call off. As Elainee has COPD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts