Should I have Audible Indications from the tow bar

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi there

Can anyone advise whether or not it is a requirement that a newly fitted tow bar has to come with Audible Indications inside the car to confirm your indicators are working? Just had a brand new detachable tow bar fitted by a Peugeot dealer. It's easy to use and all lights and relays appear to be working properly. However, when I am inside the vehicle driving, I am getting no audible indication whenever I indicate left or right. I have always had this feature with previous tow bars? Is this OK or has the dealer forgot to wire something correctly?

Kind Regards for any advice

Michael

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
You need to be able to tell if they are working or NOT working. If your car has a bulb failure system, it is likely that a blown bulb on the 'van will be made known, often by the indicators flashing at double speed.

Mike

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
You need to be able to tell if they are working or NOT working. If your car has a bulb failure system, it is likely that a blown bulb on the 'van will be made known, often by the indicators flashing at double speed.

Mike
Cheers Mike

I'll check that out. There is a Trip computer on the dash board. I talked to the dealer today and they say any problems will be displayed on that, should there be a bulb failure or connection error. Do you agree

KR

Michael

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Michael.

It is actually legislation that the tow car must have either an audiable or light warning that operates when the trailer indicator lights are working. This normally takes the form of a buzzer/beeper built into the relay of the new tow bar wiring system. However modern cars have bulb failure detection systems for the car but it seems that motor manufacturers forget that 1 in 2 cars sold end up with a tow bar being fitted, when it comes to designing acceptability of aftermarket wiring systems.

The best way to solve this is to return your car to the Peugeot dealer and ask them to demonstrate to you haw they know that the trailer socket can power the lights of a trailer board/trailer. Then ask them to demonstrate bulb failure. Ie, take out an indicator bulb on the trailer.

You will get one of two things, either they will find that the buzzer has not been connected or the car's bulb failure system isn't detecting failure on the trailer lights. Either way, it is their responsability to supply the car back to you after fitting the tow bar, with a legal trailer socket fitting and working properly.

As you have used a franchise dealer, you have rights under the sale of goods/services act and trading standards, should you need to remind them of their obligations. After all you'll be the one getting the fine if a tuned in copper realises that little snippet of legislation.

All the best

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Most modern vehicle electrical systems will automatically detect whether a trailer is connected or not and the bulb failure warning feature cover the trailer lights, too. If in doubt, you can always do what Steve suggests, just to check whether it is working properly.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
To comply with legislation, you only need to be informed when your trailer indicators are NOT working.

If you get a bulb out on the caravan, most likely the car indicators will flash at double speed or a warning light will appear.

My Jaguar is just the same - no news is good news as they say.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
You only need to know if they are not working - there is no requirement to indicate that they do. I know its a bit perverted but there you go, our legislators do know how to make things difficult or obtuse. Most new systems assume that the lights are working and will detect that a van is attached and the indicator warnings in the car will operate as normal. In the case of a bulb failure they will indicate it usually by flashing at double speed, you may even get some other indication - depends on the car/complexity (my S-Max apparently gives a message on an LCD screen). The only way you can check what actually happens is by hooking up the van (or possibly a trailer board) and removing one of the bulbs. Aternatively get the missus to stand at the back and make sure that they work before you set off and hope something happens to let you know if a bulb fails.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks to you all for the words of wisdom! I may ask the dealer to show me what happens when the bulb fails? The Missus!! checks before we leave but you would still like to be assured that the lights remain serviceable throughout the journey wouldn't you?

KR

Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts