Sign the petiton against Excise Duty rises for tow cars!

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Members are invited to sign an online-petition against the forthcoming increases in Road Fund Licence next year that will see a rise in car tax for the majority of tow cars to £500 per year!!!

Sign the petition here... http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/UNFAIR-VED/

----------------------------------------------------------------

Announced in the budget on 12/3/08 were increases in Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax). These announcements made scant reference to the fact that they were RETROSPECTIVE and affect all cars dating back to 2001.

Owning an older car and keeping it running is FAR more environmentally friendly than scrapping it and manufacturing a new one, no matter how much more efficient then new car is. The manufacturing process creates huge amounts of CO2.

Owners of older cars do not have choice - potential purchasers of new cars do.

This will seriously damage the second hand car market and the leisure industry.

Cancel the retrospective taxation NOW.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Sorry but I won`t be signing as I won`t be browbeaten by misleading propaganda than doesn`t stand up to argument.

"The majority of tow cars" that will incur the

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Angus if your tow car has a tow weight of 1800kg I assume as you visit this forum you observe good towimg safe practice and that you realise that 1800 would be 85% of you cars weight giving it a kerb weight of about 2117kg(that's quite a beheamoth). Even if you were to tow at 100%. Evn 1800kg is still quite a big car.

It would be nice to think that British motorists would stand together, my car purchase desicions revolve around family, personal and business needs. I you and others pay tax's on car purchases and the ammount of fuel we use and the VED is just more daylight robbery and I find it rather sad that you can't stand with other motorists against yet more stealth taxing by Brown.

You wrote - "My particular tow car has a towing limit of 1800kgs, and even with the proposed increases will still be less than

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Sadie,

The towing weight of my car is listed at 1800kgs.

The kerg weight is 1720kgs.

It is a Passat.

And, no, I won`t sign a petition based upon what is at best misinformation, at worst a downright lie which could be proven as such by even a reporter from the Sun or a Government minister.

It is that inaccurate.

If, as any sort of campaign group, caravanners wish to be taken seriously, they should provide a factually correct basis for doing so, then they may attract some support. Mickey Mouse figures leave us open to ridicule, and I won`t be part of it.

Er, and actually a cars towing limit is exactly that. I do understand the position, and its not 85%, 100% or any other fantasy figure which may be dreamed up. Towing at 1800kgs will not invalidate my cars warranty, or insurance, and if the police wanted to prosecute me they could sure try, but they would have to prove that it was `unsafe`, but they can do that at whatever weight below 1800kgs I choose to tow at.

With reference to your last sentence "be part of a valid opposition", I am more than happy to do that.

When I see something that is "valid". The argument put forward in the petition isn`t.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Angus.

My caravan's MTPLM is 1830kg.What kind of family saloon will pull that? No. I have to run a 'behemoth' to be legal.

Thanks a bunch for your support!

Dave

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Dave, if you , like loads of others could be even half bothered to read what I have posted - which you patently haven`t - you would see that I HAVE NOT said that I am in any way in favour of this tax or what it stands for.

If you seriously think that in excess of 50% of all towcars will fall into the

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Manufacturers can go back to building smaller, lighter caravans with less equipment - thus requiring lighter towcars which will have lower VED.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Angus, Andrews post was unfortunate in that it did state a fact which is indeed rubbish - "a rise in car tax for the majority of tow cars to

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I think that ungus is just trying to wind everyone up.

Most car manufactures will give a maximum towing weight, it is the ability to move off on a certain gradient (from memory 1 in 12) with a certain weight trailer. However, in this country the Road Traffic Act does not allow more than a 100% mix

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Kelvin, the 100% "limit" is a myth - many vehicles can legally tow more than their kerbweight, in the UK.

Towing a caravan at more than 100% isn't recommended, but not in itself illegal.

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
As Roger says many vehicles have a maximum tow limit above the kerb weight. The Land Rover range except Freelander springs to mind where it is 3500kg across the range. Landrover kerb weights are well below this.

This is not to say I would condone towing at these limits - having done it it is not the most 'comfortable' of drives.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Angus, you choose to stand on ceremony over wording, but one thing you are clear on:

"I`m not in any way suggesting that it is a fair tax or even remotely value for money, merely the thrashings of a politically and financially bankrupt excuse for a Government."

Your words.

I would have thought that on the basis of that statement alone, you would be rushing to sign the petition instead of losing sight of the whole objective!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with a LandRover towing a farm trailer of 3500kg - caravanners MUST remember that there are other types of trailer, most of them more stable than caravans.

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew, you're right to urge people to sign. This not a caravanners petition, it's for all motorists.Many caravanners are going to be hit with this, this is just another stealth tax and where's it going to end. Are we going to end up paying

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts