Silicone lube and acrylic?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I've always wiped my window seals around the caravan, as well as the thetford loo flap and the locker and entrance door with silicone lube thinking this was the right thing to do-never observed any ill effects BUT I read in one of the club mags-that silicone shouldn't contact acrylic windows as it can damage them. Never seen this nor can I find anything anywhere on the web to say it's particularly harmful to anything . Anyone else any thoughts?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've always wiped my window seals around the caravan, as well as the thetford loo flap and the locker and entrance door with silicone lube thinking this was the right thing to do-never observed any ill effects BUT I read in one of the club mags-that silicone shouldn't contact acrylic windows as it can damage them. Never seen this nor can I find anything anywhere on the web to say it's particularly harmful to anything . Anyone else any thoughts?

I use silicon spray for the Thetford seals. I used to use talcum for window seals but several years ago started to use Stiffi Gummy Pflege for caravan windows and door seals, and also in winter for car seals too as it stops sticking when frosty. Never seemed to be detrimental to anywhere that I used it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB and Ern
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Silicone spray has had no detrimental effect on my windows. It is regularly recommended on the caravan forums. French chalk was another well used lubricant but isn’t seen much these days.

Reactions: JezzerB

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use it a lot in the course of work and have never been told by a customer that it has caused any problem on their van windows or anything else.

However, if you feel it may be a problem, then spray the silicone onto a rag and wipe along where you want to use it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I use it a lot in the course of work and have never been told by a customer that it has caused any problem on their van windows or anything else.

However, if you feel it may be a problem, then spray the silicone onto a rag and wipe along where you want to use it.
I think what Damian says i am in agreement about spraying the silicone on a rag and try it that way :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As an aside Silicone spray has many other good uses around the caravan.
Awning rail lube
Thetford toilet ring seal
Curtain rails
and loads more!

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I use Thetford toilet spray on the toilet seal.
I have used Gummi Pflege (translated, this is "rubber care") which I first purchased to stop car door seals and trims from squeaking. There are several brands on the market, and many advertise that they are silicone free. They are supposed to renovate and stop the degradation of rubber, caused by exposure to UV, extreme heat and cold. Marketing hype? I don't know, but I know these rubber care products work on our window seals. Plenty available on tinternet.
I was reminded by this thread to get some, and have just, for £3.65 with free delivery.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The best treatment for your windows is Vuplex as it removes the fine scratches and also helps prevent them. https://www.vuplex.co.uk/

The thread is about window seals and if silicon used on the seals is detrimental to the windows. Vuplex is good, but being non abrasive it won’t remove or reduce scratches. It’s description doesn’t include scratch removal. All I have ever used on external windows is Fenwicks caravan cleaner and for the internals just water with a drop of Fairy liquid or similar. Fenwicks do a scratch remover but I’ve never had to use one so don’t know how well it works.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The thread is about window seals and if silicon used on the seals is detrimental to the windows. Vuplex is good, but being non abrasive it won’t remove or reduce scratches. It’s description doesn’t include scratch removal. All I have ever used on external windows is Fenwicks caravan cleaner and for the internals just water with a drop of Fairy liquid or similar. Fenwicks do a scratch remover but I’ve never had to use one so don’t know how well it works.
otherclive I have Fenwicks caravan cleaner in stock and we also have Fairy might give my external windows a wipe thanks for information (y)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Could it not that getting silicone on any window creates its own issues with altering the "wetting", rather than that silicone is chemically aggressive to acrylics?

Add to that "ridding" yourself of silicone contamination, you might well be tempted to use something far too aggressive that really would damage acrylics?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I was told by someone in the know a few years ago that if seal lubricant is not available for the toilet then some good quality olive oil (available from pharmacies) is just as good. From experience I would say much better even!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was told by someone in the know a few years ago that if seal lubricant is not available for the toilet then some good quality olive oil (available from pharmacies) is just as good. From experience I would say much better even!
I’ve used olive oil but it was just a quality supermarket one. What’s the difference as far as a toilet seal is concerned?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes in our Avondale instructions it said either use silicon or olive oil. Might get some gummin pflege though as it's well rated for mini frameless windows

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was referring to the very fine scratches as a good rub seems to remove most of them. For deeper scratches we use Brasso pads.
We have never used silicone on the window seals so no idea if it is any good or not on the seals.

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts