Silliest News Item for Years

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
With much of Britain in the grip of 'The biggest snowfall for years' the media and especially television news programmes seem to have worked themselves up into a right old frenzy.

With doom laden tones the headline announcements are made over dramatic drumbeats to increase the sense of foreboding and of course all that is really happening is that we are talking about the weather.

I sympathise with those who are temporarily stuck or cut off by the snow but come on - it's hardly nuclear war is it?

Newscasters have taken to interviewing each other, a sure sign that the story is being over dramatised and ITV's six thirty bulletin yesterday evening treated us to the spectacle of the female lead news reader standing outside, wild eyed and in full 'The North Face' kit somewhere in Manchester of all places telling us that it had snowed! It can't be that bad, she managed to travel from London to Manchester ok didn't she?

She appeared to be standing in some sort of municipal square and announced in portentous tones that 'drivers had heeded warnings and not ventured out into the snow'. Even if drivers had ventured out the local council might not have been too pleased to see them driving across their crocus beds where the news reader was standing!

The picture switched to a couple of different parts of the country with equally silly reporters togged up with thermal Gore Tex anoraks fit for SAS use trying to find ways to blame somebody.

The best bit of all for me came and the part that has prompted my post came when we were handed back to the female lead in the frozen wastes of Manchester who then spoke in block capitals about a cyclist managing to 'get through' and immediately followed up by saying that 'one motorist hadn't made it' accompanied by a picture of a saloon car royally pranged on some railings!

A car slides into some railings and it's on national news?

By this time I was laughing fit to bust,I've never seen anything so utterly silly in my life.

I can't help imagining Osama Bin Liner sitting in his mountain cave with his satellite system powered by a leccy wallah with a bicycle powered generator tuning in to ITV to find out what the Hated Infidel Son of Satan is going to do next.

'Ha!-That'll teach the Infidel on the bike to go out without a vest on!'

I can hardly wait for this evenings bulletin, Worst Snow for Years or Silliest News Story for Years?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm, I can't actually raise a smile about it at the moment, let alone a laugh, since I'm a tad worried about my husband who's stuck out in it in his lorry, delivering (or trying to!!) non-essential surplus stock for the January sales for a large department store. Perhaps we'll see the funny side when he finally gets home.....whenever that may be!

Oh, and the roads that he's attempting to get home on (somewhere in Wiltshire) haven't been gritted - and that's the ones that are still actually open.....

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
That's for that post Parksy, I thought I was the only one who noticed the silliness of the news broadcasters.

Also is it necessary to have the dolly bird weather presenters standing outside ?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
When we were in Spain recently there was a similar programme on the television news - but they had NEVER had snow before in some of the areas shown, so it was real news!

Here, they're stating 'a foot of snow has fallen' when it's hardly over their ankle tops. A foot, used to be well up towards your knees - and over the tops of most wellies! Chapped knees were a frequent occurrence then!

Yes, we've got lots of snow, and I'm sorry for anyone who's really stuck, but I've just had great fun in a snowball fight with my neighbours small children!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure that Steve will be ok Sue, how long has he been a lorry driver for? Years, and he will have the accumulated knowledge to cope with the situation.

He'll enjoy a good moan about it when he gets back and of course he will expect and deserve to pampered, a hot bath and a meal waiting followed by a rub down with aromatic oils (We're not talking Castrol)

It's not the situation that I'm making light of, I'm sorry for anyone who is stuck.

Four inches of snow here have become ten millimetres because it sounds like more.

It's the lengths that broadcasters are prepared to go to in order to try to outdo each other that makes me smile.

They are making themselves look ridiculous and I wonder if they ever watch themselves later and cringe?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure that Steve will be ok Sue, how long has he been a lorry driver for? Years, and he will have the accumulated knowledge to cope with the situation.

He'll enjoy a good moan about it when he gets back and of course he will expect and deserve to pampered, a hot bath and a meal waiting followed by a rub down with aromatic oils (We're not talking Castrol)

It's not the situation that I'm making light of, I'm sorry for anyone who is stuck.

Four inches of snow here have become ten millimetres because it sounds like more.

It's the lengths that broadcasters are prepared to go to in order to try to outdo each other that makes me smile.

They are making themselves look ridiculous and I wonder if they ever watch themselves later and cringe?
I expect he will Steve, doesn't stop me worrying though, especially when he tells me about all the accidents, abandoned vehicles and (most worryingly) jackknifed lorries he's encountered along the way.

Oh, and I think you mean centimetres ;-)

No wonder men get sizes wrong!! LOL

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Parksy

They are obviously bored sitting in the studio and need a bit of fresh air. Just as well they weren't around in the sixties, when snow meant SNOW, and not just inches but feet. And you could make proper big snowmen. I wouldn't but the snow isn't even hard, it's soft like cotton wool. Especially here in Northampton.

Sooz

Hope Steve gets home soon. I'm an ex lorry driver myself.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Parksy

They are obviously bored sitting in the studio and need a bit of fresh air. Just as well they weren't around in the sixties, when snow meant SNOW, and not just inches but feet. And you could make proper big snowmen. I wouldn't but the snow isn't even hard, it's soft like cotton wool. Especially here in Northampton.

Sooz

Hope Steve gets home soon. I'm an ex lorry driver myself.
Thanks Pat. Do you live in Bugbrooke?

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
brings back memories of the mid 70s when I was a lad.

We used to own a sledge , its was my grandfathers before my moms then mine - it got well used every winter not just once but week after week after week.

There was definately a 'schedule' trudge home from school - nan had the hot tea and toast waiting , got changed and down the local fields for an hour or so of tobogganing or making huge snow wheels.

Weekends were then off to the local park meeting up with my cousins and more toboganning.

Who owns a sledge or tabogan now?

I do feel sorry for anyone caught up in the mayhem out there and my company has been stretched to beyond the limits and further since before christmas with no let up for the next week to 10 days.

But , it is winter , it happens every year yet we still dont prepare , as a nation , properly for it.

I do agree with Parksy the new coverage is laugable , sign of the times trying to fill each and every 24 hours with NEWS even if there's no news. I've stopped watching Sky or BBC News 24 as they are a waste of time.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Yes, we have a hardward shop which sells everything - and they have a 'proper' sledge outside today (wooden, metal runners) - and the other hardware store has those plastic tray types, both the two seater, and the one that looks like a squashed space-hopper!

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Kids are very inventive when it comes to sledging ( or at least they used to be ). I remember driving past Abington Park in Northampton some years ago and was facinated to see young uns using black bin liners. They were having great fun.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts