Silverston Grand Prix

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

We're off to the Silverstone Grand Prix in June.

We're staying at the Bo-Peep campsite near Banbury, about 18 mls away from the track.

Just wondered if anyone had ever stayed at the site?

And has anyone been to the Grand Prix? This will be our first time and we've been told it's near impossible to get in & out of the race track and we should stay onsite.

Also, we've been told we'll need ear-defenders - Is someone just exaggerating or should we invest?

Vicky

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Silverstone has been improved car park and access wise. I often work there Grand Prix week on the business side of the track.

Even with improved access-

Expect it to be a hell hole and you will then not be dissapointed. If you get up at 4 or 5 am and make your way in you will probably be OK. The Only way I will go to work there from Friday to Sunday is by Bike.

If I was mad enough ;-) to be a paying punter I would camp at one of the sites alongside and walk into the circuit each day and plan to leave late Sunday night or Monday morning.

Silverstone is not my favourite circuit as it is to flat and views limited but their will be the on circuit large screens.

Smaller engines this year, but that will still mean a LOT OF NOISE.

I carry small foam ear plugs on my keys that I use if I'm on a race circuit. The noise hurts and causes damage and can be contained by the stands and banking and that makes it worse. If you are near the start and on the first opening laps all the cars together can be really bad. If you take children and you have no form of ear defenders or ear plugs for them I would say you need locking up for cruelty!

Most stands will sell foam ear plugs and many sponsors give them away at major car and bike race events.

Silverstone is a great "people" event and there are some great support races.

My friend Mr Ecclestone controls F1 and everyone else involved is paying top dollar for their bit of the action. So the guy at the burger van has probably paid several thousand

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cris,

Thanks for all the info, it's invaluable!

We were thinking that if we left about 5am we should be OK for getting in - HOPEFULLY.

I don't think we could cope with the all night partying on and around the track, hence the decision to stay at Banbury.

As the hubby wanted to do it just the once (and he was paying) we have booked Copse E stand seats. It looks like its on/near the first bend (according to the online map) so earplugs a must.

As for food, I've already brought a cool box and will be taking plenty of supplies - food always cost a fortune at any event like this, and the tickets cost enough without all the added extras.

Anyway thanks again it's really useful stuff.

Cheers,

Vicky

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I will no doubt be on the inside with a nice expensive free seat and food as usual, hope the weather is good.

There are races all the other races and plenty to see apart from me even if you are not that interested it is an Event to tick off!

One other thing is one of the foam cushions that they sell at rugby and cricket games. Best accessory ever for sitting around race circuits! You will need ear plugs there for sure :)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ps. you need a small FM radio and ear phones, I have a mobile phone with FM radio so I can tune to circuit race day radio.

That way you know whats going on as the noise drowns out the public address system.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vicky

Bo-Peep Farm is an excellent campsite and we have used it a lot in the past. As Chris says traffic can horrendous on race day. Its worth checking what direction to approach the circuit from because I think they make the A43 one way on race day, I think from the Towcester direction, perhaps Chris could confirm that. One of my sons works for Red Bull Racing (Based in Milton Keynes) and when he was on the Race Team they used to stay at Towcester so it was easier to get to the track! I have not been to Silverstone but have been to Monaco and the atmosphere is electric. Hope you enjoy it.

David

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
A43 is a one way operation depending on which side you are coming from.

You have no choice but join the queue unless on 2 wheels.

David your son probably would know me by sight, his boss and his team were customers of mine!

Monaco is a great gig, but a little to surreal with the beautiful people and silly money. I can do "beautiful" ;-)

Money ??????????? Well, a little :)

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the info.... Would love to go on the bike, but can tour the van with that!

We are going for the 3 days so hopefully we will get some idea of travelling in on the Friday.

Cheers,

Vicky

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Did anyone find out why Bo Peep farm caravan site was dropped by the Caravan Club a short while back. It was quite sudden and I do recall the CC using words like "with immediate effect...." Sounded as if something was seriously amiss. Best Wishes, George T.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts