Similar to Coachman Laser 665

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi all Mark here I'm new on the group and am after some advice we found our ideal caravan above but unfortunately my car is rated as 1800 and the above is about 60 kg over so was asking if anyone knows of a similar van with the same layout of the 665 but must have 2 rear single larger beds above 2 foot 7 inches and a middle shower/toilet preferably a new but option under 1800 and a must have for the larger single beds please? Thanks and best wishes Mark.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You are okay as long as you don’t load the caravan above the car’s maximum specified towing limit, but the loss of 60kg (minimum) of payload might be too much of a constraint if you can’t accommodate it in the car without overloading the car. What is the tow car?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark
In the rear pages of Practical Caravan Magazine you will find an extensive list of caravans and layouts . That should answer your question or at least point you in the right direction. There is also a possibility the manufacturer may be willing to issue you a reduced MTPLM plate.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that many of us would like a caravan heavier than our car will tow and we just have to compromise but I am not sure if you can find anything near your requirements. .
While it is correct that you are still legal if you simply load the caravan up to the cars towing limit, I doubt if the resulting load allowance of 100 kg will enable you to carry enough for your needs unless you travel extremely light. If it has a mover, the resulting figure would certainly be impossible.
Having looked at the layouts in the magazine I cannot see anything to compete with the Laser. That model seems to be the only twin axle full width twin bedded model on the market.
It is difficult to research further back but looking at dealers stock lists might find something but I cannot think of it at the moment. If you go onto the magazines web site you will find a search option in which you can search for layouts. If you try that you may find something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
You are okay as long as you don’t load the caravan above the car’s maximum specified towing limit, but the loss of 60kg (minimum) of payload might be too much of a constraint if you can’t accommodate it in the car without overloading the car. What is the tow car?
Hi its an illegal load and can't lose any weight from the van an the car is a vw arteon 2 litre thanks

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that many of us would like a caravan heavier than our car will tow and we just have to compromise but I am not sure if you can find anything near your requirements. .
While it is correct that you are still legal if you simply load the caravan up to the cars towing limit, I doubt if the resulting load allowance of 100 kg will enable you to carry enough for your needs unless you travel extremely light. If it has a mover, the resulting figure would certainly be impossible.
Having looked at the layouts in the magazine I cannot see anything to compete with the Laser. That model seems to be the only twin axle full width twin bedded model on the market.
It is difficult to research further back but looking at dealers stock lists might find something but I cannot think of it at the moment. If you go onto the magazines web site you will find a search option in which you can search for layouts. If you try that you may find something.
Thanks alot for that advice it dosen't need to be a twin though.

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi Mark
In the rear pages of Practical Caravan Magazine you will find an extensive list of caravans and layouts . That should answer your question or at least point you in the right direction. There is also a possibility the manufacturer may be willing to issue you a reduced MTPLM plate.
Thanks and will take a look

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It’s only an illegal load if the actual towed weight of your caravan exceeds the cars specified towing limit.
It's only an illegal load if the car's Gross Train Weight is exceeded - for most cars the towing limit can legally be exceeded IF the car loading is reduced.

However, fiddling with marginal numbers means the car and caravan aren't well match and one or other should be changed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's only an illegal load if the car's Gross Train Weight is exceeded - for most cars the towing limit can legally be exceeded IF the car loading is reduced.

However, fiddling with marginal numbers means the car and caravan aren't well match and one or other should be changed.
There does not seem to be a problem with towing weight of the Arteon 2 litre, just a kerbweight issue.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The only model of that layout I can find is the Affinty 574 but the beds are too narrow. Would an end washroom work?
In terms of weight are you basing your calculations on Kerbweight or GTW as evidenced by the car’s weight plate?
Good luck
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark,
Back to basics for a moment. The caravan model you fancy is certainly one at the top end on weight and price. No problem with that but sometimes desire expectation and reality don’t quite meet.
Is your VW Arteon a fixed or variable factor?

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
The only model of that layout I can find is the Affinty 574 but the beds are too narrow. Would an end washroom work?
In terms of weight are you basing your calculations on Kerbweight or GTW as evidenced by the car’s weight plate?
Good luck
Mel
Hi Mel will check this out and possibly end wr but depends on my wife and the max tow for my car on 3 Yr contract is 1800 thanks Mark

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Good luck
Mel
Just looked at the 574 and looks good do you know how wide the beds are ?if not how to find ot tia Mark

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
It’s only an illegal load if the actual towed weight of your caravan exceeds the cars specified towing limit.
Insurance company won't see it that way. Nobody is going to be weighing caravan at crash scene. When investigating claim few days or weeks later the only thing they have to go off is MTPLM and vehicles max towing limit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Insurance company won't see it that way. Nobody is going to be weighing caravan at crash scene. When investigating claim few days or weeks later the only thing they have to go off is MTPLM and vehicles max towing limit.
Thanks for the standard staff answer. Surprised roadside DVSA checks weren’t mentioned. A real issue then if the outfit was towing a van at MRO. IE empty.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just looked at the 574 and looks good do you know how wide the beds are ?if not how to find ot tia Mark
Went on Elddis website. If you dig in the technical specifications tab, you will find that the single beds are only 2ft 4 inches wide by 6ft 1inches long.
Have you been on Caravan finder Website. You can search by layout, which is how I found the Elddis.
mel
Edit. If you can compromise on bathroom position, then you might want to look at Adria caravans. The Adora Seine MPTLM is 1800 and the Altea Seine is a bit lighter. ( end bathroom) But ( as far as I can work out- do check) the beds are 2ft 6 wide. Otherwise Bailey Valencia Cadiz is in weight , but still end washroom and beds are narrower.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark 66

Based on your comments so far it seems you do not fully understand the weight regulations that affects cars and trailers including caravans. Unfortunately it seems you are considering a combination of car and caravan which is at the top end of margins of safety and legality. It might also be in excess of advisory values produced by the UK caravan industry specifically aimed at caravan matching.

I strongly urge that if your tow car is a fixed entity, then you should be compromising on the specification of the caravan.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mark Welcome to the forum the only model in that layout i could find is Compass Capiro 574 Touring caravan single beds 2ft 4inches by 6ft 1inches .

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is incorrect. The insurer would have to prove the weight, this is often going to be almost impossible, although in this case would certainly be looked at and would it would normally need a specific policy condition to cover this. Some do have one limiting the trailer to the kerb weight of the car, but many do not. so you need to check your policy.
If the policy limits the trailers weight the insurer would have to prove the point which after an accident is generally impossible. Once a caravan has had an accident and the contents are all over the road or it has been driven home if the damage was less there is no way of proving the weight. In general the only times they could could do this is where the MTPLM exceeds the kerb weight or is so close to it that it is near impossible to load it below the kerb weight.
If the condition was not there it would have to be shown that the combination was dangerous, which would be a far higher standard. Given the conflicting opinions on towing ratios and the like it would need you to have done something silly to prove this. Possibly other motorists saying you were speeding and the caravan swaying badly might meet the criteria.
In both cases though if the insurer was unhappy with what they found it could result in terms being applied at renewal or a refusal to renew, which would certainly cost you in the long run.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is incorrect. The insurer would have to prove the weight, this is often going to be almost impossible, although in this case would certainly be looked at and would it would normally need a specific policy condition to cover this. Some do have one limiting the trailer to the kerb weight of the car, but many do not. so you need to check your policy.
If the policy limits the trailers weight the insurer would have to prove the point which after an accident is generally impossible. Once a caravan has had an accident and the contents are all over the road or it has been driven home if the damage was less there is no way of proving the weight. In general the only times they could could do this is where the MTPLM exceeds the kerb weight or is so close to it that it is near impossible to load it below the kerb weight.
If the condition was not there it would have to be shown that the combination was dangerous, which would be a far higher standard. Given the conflicting opinions on towing ratios and the like it would need you to have done something silly to prove this. Possibly other motorists saying you were speeding and the caravan swaying badly might meet the criteria.
In both cases though if the insurer was unhappy with what they found it could result in terms being applied at renewal or a refusal to renew, which would certainly cost you in the long run.
Some insurance policies have a 95% limit. Probably all they need to do is check the MTPLM of the caravan against the kerbweight of the car and decline the claim. It does not matter if the vehicle was capable of towing a caravan heavier than the kerbweight of the towing car. It may cost the consumer a small fortune to fight a case which may have a 50/50 chance of success.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts