Similar to Coachman Laser 665

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some insurance policies have a 95% limit. Probably all they need to do is check the MTPLM of the caravan against the kerbweight of the car and decline the claim. It does not matter if the vehicle was capable of towing a caravan heavier than the kerbweight of the towing car. It may cost the consumer a small fortune to fight a case which may have a 50/50 chance of success.
The MTPLM of a trailer is not its weight. it is a upper weight limit, which means for legal reasons a trailer should never exceed that limit it should always be less than it MTPLM. The MTPLM is the limit for the total weight of the trailer, which is not the same as its towed weight, so attempting to use an MTPLM figure as a means of invalidating a claim on the assertion the towed weight limit of the vehicle has been exceeded would be laughed out of court.

There would have to be credible evidence of measured weights exceeding their respective limits to enforce any limitation applied in a policy or for any prosecution for a weight related infringement.

Car insurance is issued on the basis of the vehicles declared specification. An insurer would have to have a very clearly argued reason to impose a lesser limit for insurance purposes.

But as ever it is always a good idea to check the cover and any limitations an insurance police has before you renew or take it out.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Some insurance policies have a 95% limit. Probably all they need to do is check the MTPLM of the caravan against the kerbweight of the car and decline the claim. It does not matter if the vehicle was capable of towing a caravan heavier than the kerbweight of the towing car. It may cost the consumer a small fortune to fight a case which may have a 50/50 chance of success.
I hear of people quoting this 95 % limit , but I have never seen it in the policies I have had. But I have mostly stuck to both of the main club insurance cover.
Any idea which insurers, ? Or is it hearsay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mark a good matching site that I have used is Towcar.info. On three outfits it proved remarkably accurate, although I had pretty well deduced that anyway. It gives a degree of flexibility wrt things like payload in car or van, noseweight variations etc. Worth exploring.

Reactions: Mark 66
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The MTPLM of a trailer is not its weight. it is a upper weight limit, which means for legal reasons a trailer should never exceed that limit it should always be less than it MTPLM. The MTPLM is the limit for the total weight of the trailer, which is not the same as its towed weight, so attempting to use an MTPLM figure as a means of invalidating a claim on the assertion the towed weight limit of the vehicle has been exceeded would be laughed out of court.

There would have to be credible evidence of measured weights exceeding their respective limits to enforce any limitation applied in a policy or for any prosecution for a weight related infringement.

Car insurance is issued on the basis of the vehicles declared specification. An insurer would have to have a very clearly argued reason to impose a lesser limit for insurance purposes.

But as ever it is always a good idea to check the cover and any limitations an insurance police has before you renew or take it out.
I have been towing caravans plus being a member for this forum and many other caravan related forums for numerous years and like to think I am well aware of weights etc so no need for a lecture.

If you wish to dispute what the insurance states in their clauses, please feel free to take it up with the respective insurance company and see if you will win in any court of law.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been towing caravans plus being a member for this forum and many other caravan related forums for numerous years and like to think I am well aware of weights etc so no need for a lecture.

If you wish to dispute what the insurance states in their clauses, please feel free to take it up with the respective insurance company and see if you will win in any court of law.
This forum is not here just to inform you. It's read by many, including the OP and others who may not have the breadth of experience covering a topic.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This forum is not here just to inform you. It's read by many, including the OP and others who may not have the breadth of experience covering a topic.
You quoted my post giving me the impression that you had made the assumption I had no idea of MTPLMs and towing weights etc?

May 7, 2012
Visit site

As someone who dealt with the claims the Prof is essentially correct. If the policy states the weight of the caravan must not exceed the cars kerb weight, then it is up to the insurer to prove this. In most cases that would be impossible and it would need a caravan with a MIRO exceeding the kerb weight, or so close to it that the weight had to be in excess of the kerb weight for them to be able to turn a claim down. It is up to the insurer to prove their point.
If the policy wording said the MTPLM then that is a different matter, but even then if the caravan was empty it is doubtful that would be upheld by the Ombudsman. I am not aware of any policy stating this but you do need to check.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As someone who dealt with the claims the Prof is essentially correct. If the policy states the weight of the caravan must not exceed the cars kerb weight, then it is up to the insurer to prove this. In most cases that would be impossible and it would need a caravan with a MIRO exceeding the kerb weight, or so close to it that the weight had to be in excess of the kerb weight for them to be able to turn a claim down. It is up to the insurer to prove their point.
If the policy wording said the MTPLM then that is a different matter, but even then if the caravan was empty it is doubtful that would be upheld by the Ombudsman. I am not aware of any policy stating this but you do need to check.
Which is why I said it needs to be taken up with the respective insurance company if they wish to dispute it. If the insurance company do dispute and the consumer objects, then it could be a case of ping pong with FOS involved and can take months or years to resolve.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts