Single or twin axle?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Jason R,

Without "data" no caravan manufacturer would be able to produce or sell a caravan. Genuine data is part of what drives technology forward.Therefore if you make a factual statement you should be able to back it up with data.Especially so in engineering which affects road safety.Comprehensive towing experience is no substitute for factual engineering research data.To make broad statements and treat them as fact without being able to back up the statements with quantifiable data does not make sense.It can also lead to giving new caravanners misleading information or making them believe something is true when it is not.

Hamer

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Caroline and Simon,

Glad to hear you like your Burstner. Friends of ours have the same model and are really pleased with it.

Could i ask have you had any problems with the door lock mechanism. This is the only problem our friends have had. They are on their 3rd door lock.

Hamer

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Caroline and Simon,

Glad to hear you like your Burstner. Friends of ours have the same model and are really pleased with it.

Could i ask have you had any problems with the door lock mechanism. This is the only problem our friends have had. They are on their 3rd door lock.

Hamer
Hi Hamer,

Do you know what?

We really love this van! Our first brand new one and the best layout for us with two children.

No problems with door lock but are awaiting a new mattress under warrenty as it has collapsed on one side. Few other teething probs but nothing unexpected.

Build quality & insulation amazed us as to how good it was compared to our last van.

We have had a roof mounted solar panel added & a tracker & remote alarm system and an external socket for plugging in the pump for filling the on board tank.

Very unusual layout it seems.

Good to hear we aren't the only ones with it!

If we could have legally towed the next size up we would have had that as it has two dinette areas but is wider & longer than we can have here without a commercial vehicle so it was a no no.

Apart from that its great & has no chinz or knee rolls thank god!!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We had the Burstner brochures when picking our first caravan last year and were really impressed. We found the foreign manufacturers offered much more innovative and practical layouts than those from the UK. Big bonus for us in our Geist is the 2' 8" wide fixed bunks which will do our growing lads for many years to come - we could happily sleep on them! We couldn't believe some of the UK bunks that were only 1' 10" wide - would be like sleeping on a clothes line for our biggest boy!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Barry, we've gone off topic a bit. We didn't even consider a twin axle for our first caravan as we thought it wise to keep the length down while we got used to towing and we were able to find a suitable layout for our family on a single axle. We think that the layout is probably more important than the number of wheels.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
"T/A eliminates much of the pitch/yaw that you get with S/A.

T/A rides imperfections such as pot holes better than S/A

T/A design gives resistance to lateral/sideways movement, a "natural" damper.

T/A does not mean twice the axle/chassis weight.

T/A design enables loadings to be better distributed.

T/A wants to track in a straight line a single will wander where it wants, this natural tendency of the twin helps keep you out of troublen when towing"

Hamer there are also other things re braking and wear and shock loadings when towing.

Believe what you want. Don't waste my time with silly word play. Where is the data that says that single axles can compare to the above.

You might as well say that unless I have a technical paper I can't say that my Q7 brakes better or drives better than my late old dads 1956 morris minor.

The next time the top gear boys big up the driving experience in the latest Porsche I'll expect a full technical paper to be presented or there comments will be invalid!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Here we go again, same old propaganda from Jason. Yet another repeat of what he has already said before without adding anything fundamentally new to his statements. If only he would admit that he is only putting forward his own opinion and he would cease to claim proprietary rights to the whole truth while at the same time dismissing all arguments to the contrary as unfounded.

Lacking qualified arguments, in desperation he has resorted to terms like 'silly' and 'dreaming' to counter opinions not in line with his own. How low can you go.

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
OK,enough is enough of the bickering about who is right and who is wrong.

In fact everyone is right whatever choice they make if it suits THEM.

Time to call a halt to a never ending battle of wills.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now we have been told to cease the banter will someone please tell Barry what he should go for!!!!

Anyone got a 6x6 out there . I need a break from my 4x4.

Cheers

Alan

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In answer to the original question, go for whatever van you want or like, depending on your needs.

Whatever views given here, it is your money, your final decision.

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
I have removed the last post by Jason, and also a reply by Lutz (as it was in response).

I have done this as the post was, yet again, provocative and served no point.

The answer was simply a defence and is irrelevant to the main topic as such.

This thread is now closed, there will be no more postings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts