Site Wardens

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is a light hearted moan. Why do Prison sorry,site wardens insist on caravans being parked the same way? The number of times I have been told to park with my door away from the sun is unbeleivable. My better half and I like to sit out side the door and dont want to go round to the other side every time we want a drink or something. These people want everybody in a stright line facing the sameway. We go 'vaning for a bit of freedom, but seem to be ordered about most of the time. Some site owners are great but it's the others that get right up my nose. Well thanks for listening, and here's looking forward to Easter'and holding up those solo drivers up. Happy caravaning. Harry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have heard it said that the drawbar MUST point towards the road in case of fire and the need to remove vans quickly

In 40 yrs caravaning the wardens have mostly been very helpful.The one in Berlin at Kladow was I am sure a recently defected East German border guard who hadn't read his new job description.The one at a site near Shrewsbury had no interpersonal skills and needed an urgent charisma transplant.Apart from these two bad apples (Orchard) we have been well looked after.The site we visit every year ,Camping Le Bohat in Brittany the reception is excellent.Ann the manager even baked my wife a chocolate cake last year !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Harry

The reason for this is I believe for fire regulations so if necessary the van can be hitched up and towed away.

There are tow main flaws with this in my eyes:

One being if you have a awning up and legs down the van isn't going any ware anyway.

The other who in there right mind is going to hitch up to a van that is on fire?

It is also most annoying if you are asked to pitch with hitch facing out and do so then walk around the site only to find others pitched how they like.

Like you say its only a slight moan but a valid one unfortunately its not the wardens fault as they will only be following orders set out by the pencil pushers a lot further up the line that have probably never been caravanning in there lives.

Adria Jon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are guidelines about the spacing, 3m between any item on adjoining pitches, but no regulations or guidelines about which direction to pitch. Even the Caravan Club allows pitching in any direction although some wardens continue to disobey their head office. On steeply sloping sites, all facing down the slope is the only way to pitch caravans level. As BJ says, if you don't like being told which way to pitch, move on and don't go back. This is what we do, but it's only happened twice in 21 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts