Sites good for cycling

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, Being overweight (by quite a lot I confess), my daughter has just given me a stiff talking to about my need to exercise. It's not easy being brow-beaten by a 12 year old child especially when you know she is absolutely right. Having had all my feeble arguments shot down in flames I am now committed to taking bikes with us on our next summer holiday. (My bike is still covered in the packaging from when it was bought 4 years ago!) So to cut the story short, what sites can you recommend in either Devon or Cornwall that have relatively safe and easy cycling nearby? Normally I use C.C. sites exclusively, but will consider any sites providing they have clean shower blocks and are well run. Best wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't answer your question about sites as I don't know Devon and Cornwall particularly well, but I can tell you a lot about cycling.

First of all, be aware that parts (most?) of Devon and Cornwall are particularly hilly, and not really suitable for someone who wants to get into cycling and get fit/lose some weight. I have ridden on the Tarka Trail from Barnstaple to Great Torrington. A very pleasant route.

I try to do 100 miles per week on my bike when we are away, and this is easiest to achieve through what I call "functional cycling". Stuff like doing the shopping, going to a local attraction, popping down to the seafront in the evening to see what's going on etc. You won't believe the number of miles that you build up in this way - and you will obviously save on car running costs. Add to this a couple of decent rides per week and you have got yourself a completely different lifestyle.

So my advice would be to find a site within 2-3 miles of a decent town centre or supermarket, in a gently undulating area. Not too hilly, and not flat. Take it gently to start with, and build up steadily.

Finally, sorry to state the obvious - link your exercise to sensible eating, minimal alcohol and plenty of decent sleep. I don't subscribe to all that "you are what you eat" stuff where they try to turn people into fat-free vegetarians overnight following a televised colonic irrigation. (Lutz/JamesFrance and anyone else on the continent - you don't know what you're missing!) Eat a sensible amount of sensible food, and have occasional treats (mine is Galaxy!) to stave off depression. Coupled with regular exercise, I hope the weight starts to fall off steadily.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
George,

We use Trewince Farm, nr Wadebridge, Cornwall. What we do is to load our bikes onto the car and go down the hill into Wadebridge and then ride the Camel trail out to Padstow, or you can also park just outside Bodmin and go from there. It is an old railway track and as you get to Padstow there are breathtaking views of the north cornish coast.

John.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Being in Devon myself, I can vouch for both the Tarka Trail in north Devon and the Camel trail in north Cornwall.

Both are safe, flat off road trails which go on through miles through lovely scenery, woodland, following the river out to the estuary. plenty of picnic stops along the way and you can be as energetic or as slow as you'd like.

I dont know of any particular individual sites to recommend, but for the Tarka Trail you should look for something in the Torrington/Bideford/Braunton/Barnstaple area.

For the Camel Trail look out for Camelford/Bodmin/Wadebridge/Padstow area to stay in.

both trails can get quite busy in high season, but starting further inland on the least popular parts of the trails means you will have it much to yourself. We prefer to set off early (before 7am) that means by the time we've done our 10 miles we are passing people just setting off when we have done our stint!!

have fun

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George,

We use Trewince Farm, nr Wadebridge, Cornwall. What we do is to load our bikes onto the car and go down the hill into Wadebridge and then ride the Camel trail out to Padstow, or you can also park just outside Bodmin and go from there. It is an old railway track and as you get to Padstow there are breathtaking views of the north cornish coast.

John.
Sounds great John and as it is a former railway there should be no sharp inclines. What is the surface, is it tarmac or rough? Jim.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Try this George for information.

The Cornish Way, part of National route 3, connects Bude to Penzance and Land's End via St Austell or Newquay.

National Cycle Route 32 connects Truro with Bodmin via Newquay and The Camel Trail.

Route development

Rame to Bodmin

The EC Objective One funding decision on the long-awaited westward extension of National Route 2 from the Tamar (Rame) to Bodmin via Looe is still pending.

Clay Trails

With the new route from Wheal Martyn Museum to St Austell, there are now 12 miles of Clay Trails open, linking Par and St Austell railway stations and the Eden Project, and seeing more and more use. For more info, visit: www.claytrails.co.uk

Camel Trail and Bodmin

The Camel Trail has been extended at the Northern (Wenford Bridge) end by more than a mile, so it now reaches an all-important tea-room. The link into Bodmin has also been extended further into the town. Bodmin's new two-mile St Gurans Way is a pleasant rural alternative to very busy local roads, providing a vital link to local schools, workplaces and amenities.

Redruth and Camborne

New trails are planned for these former copper-mining areas, giving local cyclists and visitors the chance to explore the post-industrial landscape, now reclaimed by a variety of flora and fauna, with wonderful views to the north and south coasts. The County Council is creating these new Trails, using funds released through World Heritage Site status (expected) and the Local Transport Plan.

Penzance

Negotiations continue with the relevant councils about the prohibition on cycling on the (12ft wide) promenade. Supporters helped by collecting 500 plus names on a petition.

Free cycle maps for Cornwall

The Camel Trail - North Cornwall Information, tel: 01872 327310

Mineral Tramways Coast to Coast Trail - Cornwall CC, tel: 01872 222000

Great Flat Lode Trail - Cornwall CC, tel: 01872 222000

The Clay Trails - Sustrans, tel: 0845 113 0065 or download

Related Links

Camel Trail website

Cycle Cornwall

Walk Cornwall

Route Numbering system

Buy maps & guides

Clay Trails website

Updated:

Sep 1 2006

Photography credits

The web site is www.sustrans.org

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
George if that wets yor appetite you can Google " National Cycle Network " and you can see the CC sites which are near all the cycling routes.

Good luck with the weight loss.

Val & Frank

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Sounds great John and as it is a former railway there should be no sharp inclines. What is the surface, is it tarmac or rough? Jim.
Jim,

Surface is a bit of a mixed bag, around Wadebridge it is Tarmac, rest of the way it can be rough, but it so compressed down for most of it that it is not a problem. we just love taking that way out to Padstow, I think that Sir John Betjemin even wrote a poem about the view from when there were trains!

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Its me again...

If you want an alternative to Cornwall, try Sandy Balls, on the Hampshire/Dorset border. You can have some great rides from here straight onto the New Forest, the rides can be hilly but they are also very scenic, no matter what time of year you go. Plenty of tea rooms/country pubs to stop at en route, and the cycle hire place there will give you routes if you hire bikes, or supply them for a minimal charge if you take your own bikes. We were there a fortnight ago, and had a couple of great rides, one 12 miles return, the other 10 miles. Plenty of chances to see the ponies etc wandering around, and to choose which thatched cottage you would have if your numbers come up on Saturday!

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Not Devon/Cornwall, but one of the best cycling sites must be Pembrey in South wales. Situated at the entrance to a wonderful country park and on the Millenium cycle path, which follows the excellent coast. You cannot go wrong...

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello George.

Another 'Not in Devon and Cornwall' suggestion ( but great for off-road cycling nonetheless ) is the lovely scenic area north of Ashbourne in Derbyshire. There you have access to the Tissington Trail and the Manifold Valley both of which are disused railway lines - and therefore no hills - and one of which ( the Manifold Valley ) has the added benefit of having a tarmac surface which makes for easy and comfortable riding.

Olly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George, If you fancy the Tarka trail there is a good site at Little Torrington with direct access to the trail. It is Smytham Manor, very friendly owners when we were there a couple of years ago. Informal with a good friendly atmosphere. It is commercial with a small c, it has a small bar which is run very efficiently by the owner. www.smytham.co.uk

G

George wherever you decide to go with the bikes do make sure you have been cycling regularly before your holiday if you want to enjoy yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts