Sites in Cornwall / Devon

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI all

Am planning summer holiday in van and would like to visit Cornwall - Devon area. Have looked at some sites (mostly caravan club) and they all appear to be quite expensive and rural from any villages. Has anyone visited a site in this area where they paid less than £20 a night with electic hook up and toilet block ? (and within 10 miles of village).

Many Thanks

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously Ian it would depend on what you want from a site and how many people are in your party. My wife and I cannot do anything with Cornwall but we very often go to Paignton in Devon. The site we use is Widend Touring Site at Marldon (01803 550116). It is a family run site - husband and wife and inlaws. The site offers an outdoor heated swimming pool, small clubhouse for the quiet evening drink with verandah overlooking the pool, small games room for the children, children's play area, shop and part time take away. The toilet blocks are spotless - the top block is new and has not long been opened. They will only take family bookings - no single sex parties will be accepted. The fees are very reasonable and they offer a discount for CC members. Also if staying seven nights, one night fee is free. There is also a dog walk for as far as you wish to go. The site is not your typical "hi-de-hi" but quiet and relaxing.

The site is just north of the Torquay ring road and is approx ten minute drive to Torquay, Paignton, Brixham and Totnes. A regular bus service passes the site for Paignton and Totnes. The site brochure does not do the site justice. If you do phone for details speak to Julie and mention Myrna and Colin from Bridgend. We enjoy our stay each year and will at sometime be going back there again this year.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colin thanks for that, had a look at their website and are definitely considering it. We were ,however, looking more at the west coast as we live in the Swansea area, and are also considering Trewethett Farm CC site. Has anyone visited this site or one near it. We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child and 2 dogs. Hope this helps.

Many Thanks

Ian

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

We stayed at Trewethett Farm for the first time last September and loved it. The sunsets are spectacular and the site is right on the coastal path so the walks to Boscastle and Tintagel are lovely, although a little steep in places. We have booked again for this September so, yes, would highly recommend it.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Tollgate Farm in Perranporth, Cornwall is very nice with a small kids petting farm, play area and nice dog walks across cliffs and down to the beach. It's away from the hustle and bustle of Newquay but near to lots of attractions. We haven't used it with our own caravan yet but a group of our friends and their 4 caravans stayed there last year and we visited them every day. No visitor charges levied which seems to be happening more and more these days.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we did Cornwall the summer just gone (peak season) and stayed at tregurrian which is a camping and caravanning club site. We stayed for 7 nights and paid approx

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies! Decided to book Trewethett farm CC site as it is within the distanc we would like to travel and by the looks of the website has breathtaking views. Have read some reviews on other websites and it seems that an awning tie down is essential. Have any of you visited the site ? Are the pitches level and are the views as good as they are made out to be ? Also what are the access roads like getting to the site ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian,

we`ve been to T.F a few times and have booked again for July.

Yes, its worth having a tie-down kit, the views are as good as people say, about 60% of the pitches are level.

the access roads are O.K (but follow the CC route! I thought I`d do it from memory and towed through the centre of Boscastle which is busy, tight,narrow bridge,v.steep hill with 180degree hairpin. Great fun!).The roads are much narrower than the much discussed A82 Loch Lomond route but seem to cope with thousands of vans every year.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, i have always fancied going to this site but the pictures put me off because i though it looked like a sheer drop to the sea and just had a fench round. ive just been onto google earth and it not as near as what i thought. some of the pics have changed aswell it looks evenmore beautiful.

how windy is it because my 13 year old and the dog will be out in the awning in the summer.3

its a tossup between trewethett farm CC site and carnon downs A/S site for the cc club. i have been to carnon to have a look and it is a beautiful site. can anybody help?.

jo-anne

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
There aren`t sheer cliffs beyond the fence, and neither a 13year old or dog are at risk, although the North Cornwall coastal path runs along the site perimeter (you can walk to Boscastle and Tintagel) and by its nature is rocky and steep in places,but no problem to a normal adult or child of 13(or less).Dogs love it!

How windy? Dunno, as we`ve never had a problem with wind there, but it is on exposed headland so just use commonsense. They have tents on site which seem to cope O.K.

Jul 12, 2007
Visit site
Obviously Ian it would depend on what you want from a site and how many people are in your party. My wife and I cannot do anything with Cornwall but we very often go to Paignton in Devon. The site we use is Widend Touring Site at Marldon (01803 550116). It is a family run site - husband and wife and inlaws. The site offers an outdoor heated swimming pool, small clubhouse for the quiet evening drink with verandah overlooking the pool, small games room for the children, children's play area, shop and part time take away. The toilet blocks are spotless - the top block is new and has not long been opened. They will only take family bookings - no single sex parties will be accepted. The fees are very reasonable and they offer a discount for CC members. Also if staying seven nights, one night fee is free. There is also a dog walk for as far as you wish to go. The site is not your typical "hi-de-hi" but quiet and relaxing.

The site is just north of the Torquay ring road and is approx ten minute drive to Torquay, Paignton, Brixham and Totnes. A regular bus service passes the site for Paignton and Totnes. The site brochure does not do the site justice. If you do phone for details speak to Julie and mention Myrna and Colin from Bridgend. We enjoy our stay each year and will at sometime be going back there again this year.
do u mean discount 4 caravan club or cavaninng and camping club

TRENDING THREADS