Sites Near Calais

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone suggest any safe stop over sites or rest areas about an hour from Calais as be will be arriving in France at about 1.30 am,heading West along the coast towards Normandy and would like to rest for a few hours before heading for the Vendee.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Jon. You could stay at Calais port. As you leave the ferry you will see other caravans/motorhomes parked up on the left. Proceed to first roundabout, then return back into ferry terminal following signs for "parking without tickets". Parking is free, well lit and patrolled: with showers/toilets in arrival terminal building. You could travel onto the A16 (on way to Normandy) and after about 10 miles there is "Aire de 2 Caps". A bit further (68miles from Calais), there is "Aire La Baie De Somme". This is an excellent stop for caravans (follow signs for "picnic").Have used all these without problems BUT you should really use a site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it is going to be difficult to get on to a proper site at that time of night, Jon. Your best bet may well be to try one of the 'Aires' on the A16. Although some of the 'Aires de Reste' (basically very good picnic areas) are pleasant, for the sake of security, I would suggest looking for an 'Aire de Sertvice'. I think the first one you will reach is the 'Aire des Deux Caps', which I don't think is more than about 10 miles from Calais. If that looks too busy, keep goiong for a while - there are several others. Unfortunately, these tend to be full of trucks and not very peaceful, but if you are tired, you will probably sleep through a moderate amount of noise. We have stayed overnight on the quieter ones and have never had any problems. However, with all the scare-stories around, one hesitates to actually recommend those to anyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts