sites near towns or villages insouthwest france

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
off to france in june.probabably head south west but quite flexible where we end up.can anyone suggest any sites within walking distance to towns .probably be using camping cheques or acsi.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi David - just which area do you mean? The South West is such a big area - all the way from the South West Atlantic coast, across to the Mediterranean. If you could be a bit more specific it would help - but if you aren't bother then the Med side is likely to get the better weather! The Atlantic side tends to have more rain though you can have beautiful weather there too, of course.

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
hi Val.was thinking from dordogne downwards.anywhere you can reccommend,east or west or central.i know it sounds daft for a caravanner but prefer to be within striking distance of towns sorry it took so long to reply had password and user name problems. i did the original post.

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave,
Short and sweet, get yourself an ACSI card, I have been holidaying in the Vendee for the last 12 years and in May and June, using the card there is some super bargains for around €12 per night.
Use the web site for the ACSI card, and as Del boy says 'the world is your lobster'!
Seriousley, we have never found the need to travel as far as the Dordogne to find sites, as I can't see the point of travelling another 400 klms when the Vendee has all we want.

http://www.acsi.eu/en/home/l2-n144/

If you need more help, let me know, always willing to pass on 'the knowledge'!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We spent an enjoyable 2 weeks at Camping Lestap which is near the village of Albine, and about 10-15 minutes from Mazamet. You can reach Beziers, Carcassone and the coast very easily whilst living in the cooler wooded countryside. Good pool and small bar too. Google the website for more info.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Funnily enough the Vendee is the one area of France that we were warned off, by a Frenchman - who said it was part of France that he really didn't like. Whilst it might have lovely beaches, there is nothing like the wilder, more rugged, mountainous south, with all the lovely rivers, gorges, torrents, forests, and wildlife.
1. On the Mediterranean - Camping Le Neptune, at Grau d'Agde (Camping Cheques 7 for 6, and 14 for 11) - walking distance into Agde one way, with lovely riverside restaurants, walking distance down to Grau d'Agde the other way, with a lovely beach and more restaurants. The Canal du Midi is nearby, and there are lots of other lovely beaches and places to visit - the Nine locks on the Canal at Fonserannes, the Oppidum d'Enserune, the vineyards and wine caves, historic Beziers, and the lovely Saturday market at Pezenas. Keep away from Cap d'Agde - overcrowded, overpriced, and underwhelming!
2. Inland: Les Cerisiers du Jaur, St Pons de Thomieres - walking distance into St Pons (a working town rather than touristy), cycle track too, and then a long cycle ride or drive to the rugged Gorges d'Heric and the back in time village of Olargues. Near to Mazamet too - and we store our caravan nearby so visit the area regularly! Sunday market at St Chinian and treat yourself to lunch in the Cafe de la Paix (looks nothing, but lovely outside garden restaurant, with a really excellent and good value lunchtime 'Menu du Jour'). Many more places to visit including the rocky outcrop of Minerve, and the Canal du Midi at Capestang, Trebes, and Homps.
3. Inland: Les Rivages at Millau (ACSI) - lovely grassy site on the edge of Millau, fantastic scenergy, Gorges du Tarn, Gorges du Jonte, along the Dourbie, and the Millau Viaduct itself. Reintroduced vultures, with a visiting centre, and cameras on the cliff faces where they live. More mediaeval villages all through the area, and the Knights Templar villages of St Eulalie de Cernon, La Couvertoirade, and others. The Cirque de Navacelles (a really fantastic geographical feature, with an enormous bowl with a village at the bottom, and a wonderful waterfall). Grottoes, and plenty more -including the Roquefort cheese caves.
4. Inland: La Cite, at Carcassonne - worth a short stop whilst you visit the old town, and get there before the crowds.
There are many, many more lovely places - but why not do as we do in June, with our ACSI Card and Camping Cheques, just buy a paper on arrival in France, and head off in the direction of the area with the best four-day weather forecast..........! Then just do as you please, and move on (or not) when the mood or the weather changes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you are thinking of near Millau look at Val de Cantobre we have been 4 times and it is a top site in a great area. Regarding the Vendee it just shows that even a Frenchman can be wrong. Been there several times and even away from the beaches there is lots to do and see and tops for cycling.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm a great lover of sites close to towns myself. Wonderful for long, boozy lunches without the worry of having to drive back. Sorry, I can't remember site names, but if you use the CC Euorpe vol 1, that will help. We particularly liked Cahors, Millau, Trebes (listed under Carcassonne), but many, many towns have old, historic centres and wonderful scenery nearby. Get yourself (if you haven't already) a large map of France and see where looks good, then use the CC book.

In June you won't have to book. Just turn up.

Jo

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks for all your suggestions,especially Val A who seems to help everyone. written all the places suggested down and will do as Val says and buy a paper when we arrive in france for the weather and follow the sun.if your on any of the sites suggested in june and you hear a guitar being played badly, that will be me.sorry in advance.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dave - We're on holiday in June too and that area is our favourite, so if the weather's good we may be there. I like badly played guitar, too. My sons both play - and one year they attracted a lot of girls to their pup tent with their guitar playing. It didn't annoy the neighbours either - both came around and enjoyed a glass of wine whilst the kids got together behind our caravan!
Have a great holiday.

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dave

just a thought if you're pepared to travel a little farther, The Basque country around Biaritz is beautiful. We stayed on Camping Royale a few yars ago near Bidart,right next to the beach and had the most stunning sunsets Ive ever seen! Its probably 2 days drive from Calais but well worth it
Cheers Jim

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
We went to Biaritz in June 2010, it rained heavily nearly every day for two weeks, so be warned, you can get bad weather anywhere.
The countryside is wonderful, and some of the regional food is very very good.

Steve W

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I will second that regarding the Basque. We love the area and visit each year en-route to Spain and have spent many weeks there over the years but have had pleny of dire weather probably due to due to the proximity of the Pyrenees .
David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts