sites with or near slipway

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We would like to know if anybody know any sites which have or are adjacent to a slipway as we have a inflatable/outboard which we can take away in the van. We live in Kent but are open to suggestions all over the Uk

Thanks Karl

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karl, have a look at Redcliffe Farm at Wareham (01929 552225). Its a public slipway next to the site on the River Frome and gives access to the upper area of Poole Harbour. I havent been to the site for years but it used to be very quiet and is convenient for touring the area also there is a very pleasant stroll along the river bank in to Wareham which is an interesting old town. Also on Poole Harbour is Rockley Sands. This is completely different and is a big noisey site and gives access directly to Poole Harbour. I think there are a few sites on the Thames around Henley and I could probably get more details if you are interested in that area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Karl, the first site on the Thames that comes to mind is at Hurley. Have a look on www.ukcampsite.co.uk for Hurley Riverside Park. This is a very nice part of the river between Marlow and Henley and is great for cruising on a summer day. If you get tired of the river cross over at Henley or Marlow and explore the beautiful Chiltern Hills. Hambleden Lock at Mill End is very pretty (park in the car park up the lane) and so is Hambleden village (used in countless films). Turville is where they film "The vicar of Dibley" and "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" was filmed here at the windmill,(the Breakspears bitter in "The Bull and Butcher" is excellent). There are houses open to the public including Stonor Park (local celebs include Jeremy Paxman ) and look out for the Red Kites all over the area but especially around Stokenchurch and Christmas Common.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karl, I'm interested in any replies you get as we have just bought an inflatable and outboard. One site with slipway we've previously stayed on is Park Coppice on Coniston in the Lakes, lovely wooded site, caravans in glades, fairly wooded and shady CC site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Karl, two that spring to mind in Dorset are Lookout at Wareham where you can access Poole bay and Waterside at Weymouth where you can access Weymouth Bay.

Can you access the Thames from the CCC site at Chertsey? I have seen plrenty of canoes entering there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karl Riverside iternational at stratford-on-avon have a slipway on site also Tudor caravan park in slimbridge is right next to the canal where you can gain access from just outside the site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try Brighouse Bay (Dumfries) or ccc site at Keswick. Both are great sites with facilities for boat launching. Hope this gives you a couple more options. Happy choosing!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Penmarlam Park, Boddinnick-by-Fowey, Cornwall; has a slipway adjacent for use, beautiful area - great sailing/caravanning/walking. Give it a try.

Phone No: 01726 870088

or www.penmarlampark.co.uk

Good Luck & enjoy!

Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try

Brighouse Bay in Dumfries and Galloway - sea

Camping and Caravan Milarrochy Bay on Loch Lomond

Camping and caravan club Keswich site on Derwent Water. NB not CCC Derwentwater site

The latter gets booked-up early

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karl,

I too have also bought an inflatable & Motor. I live in North Devon and know of a few slipways. Watermouth cove caravan site (nr Ilfracombe)has its own slipway. There are slipways at Appledore and Barnstaple. Plus an nice little beach with fee parking in Hele bay ilfracombe that looks like a good launch site.

Peter

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Penmarlam Park, Boddinnick-by-Fowey, Cornwall; has a slipway adjacent for use, beautiful area - great sailing/caravanning/walking. Give it a try.

Phone No: 01726 870088

or www.penmarlampark.co.uk

Good Luck & enjoy!

Richard
Hi Richard.

We ahve boked at Penmarlam for August. Can you enlighten us on what the park is like as we have not been before.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard.

We ahve boked at Penmarlam for August. Can you enlighten us on what the park is like as we have not been before.
The park changed hands about two years ago, and has had lots of investment to improve facilities - new wash block, reception etc.Small supply of groceries now available. Very friendly and helpful owner. Site consists of two main pitching areas, the first that you come to nearest the entrance is the newest area, it is more exposed, but does have a view over countryside. All pitches have electric hook-up, and I think all are grass. The second pitching area, beyond the reception etc is flatter and sheltered by trees, having been established longer. It'll be personal choice where you prefer I'm sure. The surrounding area is beautiful, with lots to see and do. (Don't consider taking your 'van via the Bodinnink ferry though!)The boating slipway for private use is accessed via a partly shared access road to the caravan site, so it is very handy, but you can't see it from the site as the caravan site sits up on high ground (I think the site was once owned by the Fowey Harbour Board or something). I'm sure you'll have a good holiday. If you want to see some lovely coastal scenery try Lantic Bay (a short drive from Penmarlam)and walk some of the coast from there, wonderful. Enjoy. Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The park changed hands about two years ago, and has had lots of investment to improve facilities - new wash block, reception etc.Small supply of groceries now available. Very friendly and helpful owner. Site consists of two main pitching areas, the first that you come to nearest the entrance is the newest area, it is more exposed, but does have a view over countryside. All pitches have electric hook-up, and I think all are grass. The second pitching area, beyond the reception etc is flatter and sheltered by trees, having been established longer. It'll be personal choice where you prefer I'm sure. The surrounding area is beautiful, with lots to see and do. (Don't consider taking your 'van via the Bodinnink ferry though!)The boating slipway for private use is accessed via a partly shared access road to the caravan site, so it is very handy, but you can't see it from the site as the caravan site sits up on high ground (I think the site was once owned by the Fowey Harbour Board or something). I'm sure you'll have a good holiday. If you want to see some lovely coastal scenery try Lantic Bay (a short drive from Penmarlam)and walk some of the coast from there, wonderful. Enjoy. Richard.
It's an uncommercial small/medium site providing all the basic stuff very well. Definitely not a 'bar&bingo' site (pleased to say!). Hope you enjoy your stay..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts