skiing in Scotland

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, considering taking my caravan to the highlands of Scotland over New year, and geting some skiing in ,has any one done this? where did you stay and which resort did you ski from? could you also give me some idea of travel time from West Sussex towing a caravan, and a area to aim for for the overnight stop, i have extensively towed through Europe and can accurately calculate journey time and distances , but have no expriences travelling further North than Norfolk.

Regards Paul.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Paul,

don't ski myself, but this is a good site near Aviemore. Its not the cheapest but its immaculate.

http://www.caravanscotland.com/
Or you could go for the Lecht;

http://www.lecht.co.uk/winter/winter1.cfm
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Planning your trip/UK Trips/Site Search and Book/Club Sites/Site Detail.htm?csid=THE INVERCAULD&site=-1&region=Scotland&county=Aberdeenshire
If you went for this option, i'd check the weather first as access may be a problem if theres a lot of snow.

As for the overnighter i'd be looking at the Carlisle area for a stop-over.

Hope this is of some use,

Gavin.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Paul,

don't ski myself, but this is a good site near Aviemore. Its not the cheapest but its immaculate.

http://www.caravanscotland.com/
Or you could go for the Lecht;

http://www.lecht.co.uk/winter/winter1.cfm
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Planning your trip/UK Trips/Site Search and Book/Club Sites/Site Detail.htm?csid=THE INVERCAULD&site=-1&region=Scotland&county=Aberdeenshire
If you went for this option, i'd check the weather first as access may be a problem if theres a lot of snow.

As for the overnighter i'd be looking at the Carlisle area for a stop-over.

Hope this is of some use,

Gavin.
P.S, you don't need a passport (yet), we,re still part of the UK.

G

You will find useful info on the VisitScotland web page

www.visitscotland.com

There is a section on skiing.

So far the mild Autumn has meant that the ski season is not really off and runing yet, but a few heavy snow showers could easily change that. As mentioned the main problem is that the snow can block access to the remoter resorts such as the Lecht.

By the way the roads are tarmac'd up here, we did the last few cart tracks a few years back. Just remember it is quite a long way, it is another 100 miles north of Edinburgh to the Highlands. You will also not see very many English banknotes, even the English based banks/building societies tend to give out nothing but Scottish ones, and yes, they are accepted everywhere.

Sep 11, 2019
Visit site
There are five outdoor ski resorts in Scotland: CairnGorm Mountain, Glencoe Mountain, Glenshee, Nevis Range and The Lecht. Three of these are found in the Cairngorms National Park.
Scotland is great for a ski holiday when it's a good snow year. The ski areas are small but interesting with some challenging skiing and the slopes provide the perfect place for beginners to start.
A ski holiday in Scotland is therefore an ideal way to try out skiing and snowboarding before paying for an expensive ski holiday elsewhere in the world.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree Scotland is a super place and well worth the travel distance. I’ve ski,d at Aviemore once and boy was it cold. My basis for comparison being that I lived in Canada and ski,d in Ontario and whilst Canadian temperatures were lower than Scotland their wind didn’t come straight from the North Pole.

You’ll. enjoy it though.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about a single overnight stop as you will probably be traveling a about 450 miles to Edinburgh and between 100 and 200 from there. Do be aware that the A1 a few miles North of Newcastle is single carriageway and is slower than you might think, although it becomes dual again nearer Edinburgh. After that it becomes motorway or dual carriageway and speeds can pick up until you leave the motorway for the site you choose and then some of the roads can be very slow going.
The weather is usually decent but it is the middle of winter so keep checking the road reports just in case.
The sites suggested should work for you so enjoy.
Not sure what we are doing in the overseas section though.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Not sure what we are doing in the overseas section though"

As far as I can see the topic is in UK parks and touring.
Also this topic was started 12 years ago...………………...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To be fair, the topic was in the overseas section until I moved it earlier this morning using my smartphone.
Unfortunately the phone isn't smart enough to show me how old the topics are :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Parksy said:
To be fair, the topic was in the overseas section until I moved it earlier this morning using my smartphone.

No Parksy , the technical people who are running the website need to update it to let smartphones know how old a topic is like i have said before

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Parksy said:

No Parksy , the technical people who are running the website need to update it to let smartphones know how old a topic is like i have said before

When I spoke with the forum administrators a few weeks back I was told that a new and better software platform is on the cards, and that forum members will be consulted about the items that they'd like to see.
From what I can gather, apart from when spammers think that if they use an old topic as a try out we won't notice, these old topics sometimes reappear when someone uses a search engine such as Google to find out about a subject that they're genuinely interested in.
The search engine sometimes links to a forum subject on this website, so the person uses the forum to ask their question without regard to the time elapsed since a topic was first aired.
It's not a problem as long as the point made is still relevant.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I find that turning a smartphone into landscape view will show a desktop view of the web page - age of post and all.

Doesn’t work on my iPhone. Also I cannot select emojis on iPhone but can on iPad with both running same software version

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:
I find that turning a smartphone into landscape view will show a desktop view of the web page - age of post and all.

Doesn’t work on my iPhone. Also I cannot select emojis on iPhone but can on iPad with both running same software version

Same here , limited emoji's also , anyways , back to skiing !!

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
I originally started the thread, appeared in my email notification yesterday from memory. Took me back, and I couldn't believe that it had been twelve years!. Anyway, still haven't managed to take the van skiing yet!. We checked a site out in Grand Bornand last month, whilst staying on Lake Annecy, (further research) the wife's still not convinced! No change there then!.

Regards Paul.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
paul_5132583 said:
I originally started the thread, appeared in my email notification yesterday from memory. Took me back, and I couldn't believe that it had been twelve years!. Anyway, still haven't managed to take the van skiing yet!. We checked a site out in Grand Bornand last month, whilst staying on Lake Annecy, (further research) the wife's still not convinced! No change there then!.

Regards Paul.

Thanks Paul, stayed at Lake Annecy, on the south west , of the lake, camping de la Ravoire, great place, loved the area, Boat trip to the town and back .

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Having learnt to ski in Scotland at the Cairngorms (Aviemore) at the base of the hill is the Glenmore Campsite which is equipped for winter activities.
I found that if it snowed it would come in a westerly horizontally, no two days are rarely the same when skiing in Scotland.
I would think that looking for a campsite if France would be closer and possibly better equipped for caravanners

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably Aviemore is the easiest to reach, and the safest for road conditions if the weather turns very bad. It is just off the A9, the major trunk road from Edinburgh to Inverness where as the others require the use of lesser roads. Do be aware though that snow is not guaranteed in Scotland.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts