Skoda Octavia

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is anyone out there towing with the new Octavia 1.9TDi PD as tested in August PC in estate form, I am looking to buy a new hatchback to tow my Bailey Discovery 300 MTPLM 1156kgs but was concerned to read the report in the mag, because I would be towing at 80% too and would have expected better performance. I currently tow with old Octavia 90bhp diesel and have no probs so don't want to change if I'm going backwards so to speak. Thanks in advance of any replies.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi!

I tow with the 110hp Octavia .. old style .. pulls my Lunar Chateau (Max wt approx 1250kg) with no problems keeping up with traffic(and usually 30mpg when towing).

Might I suggest that the 130hp version of the new turbo diesel Octavia would be the one to go for if you want to but brand new? Or one of the last of the old-style (130 motor again available).

MARTIN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having opted out of the company car scheme last year I purchased an old style Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi 130 bhp L & K which I have found to be a brilliant tow car. It tows my Bailey Pageant Majestic all day at 60 mph in 5th (of 6 gears).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Martin and Dusty for your replies, I already tow with old Octavia and am happy with it apart from low noseweight limit of 60kgs and the Bailey has max of 100kgs, having measured the exact noseweight of caravan with spare wheel and 2 small gas bottles it comes in at 90kgs and causes a big struggle to get down to 60kgs. The new Octavia has noseweight limit of 75kgs hence my desire to change, makes my hitch up easier and quicker I hope. Perhaps the writer from PC responsible for the test can respond as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again!

You have the same problem re low noseweight as I do (60kg for old Octavia); I had my local dealer fit an Alko spare wheel carrier just behind the axle of our Chateau (+ the 'van has a long A-frame) and now have no problem getting down to 60kg.

Martin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts