Skoda Scout Kerbweight.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see in this month's PC tow car tests that the Scout kerbweight is shown as 1605kg. Is this as measured? Skoda UK still claim in their brochure that the Scout is 1534kg and the less equipped 4x4 diesel estate is 1625kg whereas owners of Scouts who have had them weighed show them at over 1600kg without any additional equipement. I wonder whether Skoda have lost any sales through potential buyers thinking the Scout is not haevy enough for their van.

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I too would be very interested in this as I am looking at an Octavia at the moment. I see from the Skoda site that the vRS is now available with the new common rail diesel. However, the vRS is only front wheel drive and I am concerned how stable a match it would be with my Abbey Freestyle 520 (1367kg MTPLM). The other option is the 4x4 but it is a shame that the CR diesel is not available (yet?).

Does anybody have any comments on towing stability with a large single-axle van and a Mk2 Octavia?

Dec 20, 2007
Visit site
I posted about this very topic just recently! I have had my Octavia Scout TDi since March this year and absolutely love it. I have pointed out the mistake to Skoda UK on more than one occasion but their brochure still shows the wrong kerbweight! To settle the issue I took my car to a weighbridge with a nearly full tank of diesel and with myself in the car the weight came in at 1650 kg. Allowing 25 kg for the towbar the kerbweight for the standard car is around 1625 kg. My vehicle V5 document gives the car's weight as 1605 kg so maybe that is where PC's figure comes from.

The Scout would easily tow 1500 kg. It would be safe even up to 1600 kg (Skoda's quoted limit) in my view. Overall it is a great car. Mpg solo is around 44 mpg and towing 1300 kg it's around 29 mpg.

Hope this helps!

Robert

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I tow a Compass Pentara with my L&K 2.0 TDI Octavia. Compared to my previous car, Audi A4 Avant 1.9, the Skoda needs more revs and clutch slip to pull away. Once rolling, however, it is a very stable, responsive outfit. You need to make good use of the six speed box to keep the car in it's powerband. All in all I'm sure there are better towcars!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The V5 figure is the "Mass in service", the same as kerbweight to EC definition, ie with driver and 90% fluids.

It may be that brochures quote kerbweight to the UK C&U definition, ie no driver but 100% fluids. The difference is about 70kg.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
I too would be very interested in this as I am looking at an Octavia at the moment. I see from the Skoda site that the vRS is now available with the new common rail diesel. However, the vRS is only front wheel drive and I am concerned how stable a match it would be with my Abbey Freestyle 520 (1367kg MTPLM). The other option is the 4x4 but it is a shame that the CR diesel is not available (yet?).

Does anybody have any comments on towing stability with a large single-axle van and a Mk2 Octavia?
I tow with a current model vRS TDi. Stability is perfect. Traction has been fine too.

Interested to see what the new common rail diesel is like, may go for a Scout next time round if the higher spec diesel is available in it. Otherwise I would be more than happy with another vRS.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The V5 figure is the "Mass in service", the same as kerbweight to EC definition, ie with driver and 90% fluids.

It may be that brochures quote kerbweight to the UK C&U definition, ie no driver but 100% fluids. The difference is about 70kg.
It would be useful if Skoda were to include a footnote to that effect in the brochure or say so when asked.

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I posted about this very topic just recently! I have had my Octavia Scout TDi since March this year and absolutely love it. I have pointed out the mistake to Skoda UK on more than one occasion but their brochure still shows the wrong kerbweight! To settle the issue I took my car to a weighbridge with a nearly full tank of diesel and with myself in the car the weight came in at 1650 kg. Allowing 25 kg for the towbar the kerbweight for the standard car is around 1625 kg. My vehicle V5 document gives the car's weight as 1605 kg so maybe that is where PC's figure comes from.

The Scout would easily tow 1500 kg. It would be safe even up to 1600 kg (Skoda's quoted limit) in my view. Overall it is a great car. Mpg solo is around 44 mpg and towing 1300 kg it's around 29 mpg.

Hope this helps!

Robert
We are in process of buying new car (Skoda Scout) and caravan (Hobby either 460Ufe or 495Ufe). Capacity on both can be 1400 or 1500 respectively. We favour 495 but are concerned with the confusing info regarding kerbweight. Can you confirm max. weight of caravan you are towing and how the Scout performs going up hills at 60mph and if you have to change down frequently. As you may imagine we are new caravanners! Maybe Skoda know the kerbweight is higher and prob.close to the 1600kg max. towing weight in the brochure and have decided to publish a lower weight so as to appear the norm, ie kerbweights should always be lower than the max. towable?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts