Skoda Superb DSG creep

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've just had a test drive in a Skoda Superb automatic estate and was really impressed except for one thing. When in Drive at tickover it crept forwards at quite a rate, even pulling it forward when I didn't apply the handbrake firmly enough. Now I've had torque converter cars in the past and know this is normal but the only other DSG type auto I've owned was a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, and this did not have any creep whatsoever. So the question is, is there a fault with the demonstrator, or do they "all do this" as assured by the salesman? Perhaps my Citroen was the odd one out?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You don't say what year but VAG did have DSG problems across the model range. The Honest John website gives a good indication of what models/ years were affected. Some had an interaction with the fuelling such that pulling out of junctions could be an issue, or in slow traffic.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi John,
For the last year I have towed with a Skoda Superb SE Estate 2.0 CR (170) . I have found it to be a great car to drive, both solo and towing. We have towed some 7,000 miles, including trips to the south of Spain and separately to the south of France. Mine is a manual model, so I cannot comment directly on any creep tendency from the DSG versions. However, I do look at (and occasionally contribute to) the Skoda forum at www.briskoda.net. I have not seen any posts there mentioning a creeping tendency with the DSG models. It might be worthwhile you joining the forum (free) and posing the question directly.
Cheers
Paul

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi John,
For the last year I have towed with a Skoda Superb SE Estate 2.0 CR (170) . I have found it to be a great car to drive, both solo and towing. We have towed some 7,000 miles, including trips to the south of Spain and separately to the south of France. Mine is a manual model, so I cannot comment directly on any creep tendency from the DSG versions. However, I do look at (and occasionally contribute to) the Skoda forum at www.briskoda.net. I have not seen any posts there mentioning a creeping tendency with the DSG models. It might be worthwhile you joining the forum (free) and posing the question directly.
Cheers
Paul

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi John,
Cheers
Paul

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a VW Passat '09 with DSG on a 2ltr engine.

This has a slight creep when in drive, which never bothers me and I find it useful as it avoids much roll back except on steep gradients. When hooked up with the 'van, it's hardly noticeable. The car's done 61,000 miles.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1994 Dicovery auto and it also creeps not with the handbrake on though. I find it tows well even at 169000 miles.

Trevor

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Trevormc said:
I have a 1994 Dicovery auto and it also creeps not with the handbrake on though. I find it tows well even at 169000 miles.

Trevor

Yes but I presume it is the torque converter type which always gently creep. Why should DSG types to do the same as I always think of them as a manual gearbox and clutch, but with a robotic arms pushing levers when necessary. But I'm no expert on these, perhaps there is a reason? Anyway, I decided not to go for that particular car as it was overpriced. Still looking but not keenly as I can't see anything that fits our requirements as well as the X-trail does.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Every automatic car I've ever had has crept a little bit in drive at tickover revs, but as others have said only with the handbrake released. I've never found this to be a problem. I guess though it depends how fast the creep is - in my experience it's always been quite slow, ie no more than a slow walking pace.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Geordie Ranger said:
My Passat DSG 170bhp had this issue and VW dealer just updated the mapping software and it was resolved instantly.
Yes that makes sense, it probably has the same power and transmission and the car I was looking at was ex-demo, and sometimes they are the last to have work done. I still haven't changed from the X-trail though, I decided it was more practical for the moment.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have recently changed to a VW Passat B6 170 DSG. The handbook(Which in my opinion is very poorly written)attempts to explain that if the vehicle is in gear and stationary and the brakes are applied, the clutches are disengaged. Release the brakes and the box automatically moves into creep mode.

An additional feature of my model is a system called "auto hold". Activated by a button at the side of the gear shift, This automatically applies the brakes when the car comes to a halt. It automatically releases when the accelerator is applied. This prevents the 'creep' and it also means that in stop start traffic you don't need keep your foot on the brake, with the additional benefit of not dazzling drivers behind with your brake lights. Slight pressure on the accelerator causes the brakes to be released, and the car the creeps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts